OLY EP1 (want to ask) pls advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2008
Batam
It seems that there are many of us who want to sell their Ep1. I'm really curious why. it's a new model and the reviews have shown it's really a good camera and can produce out stunning images. Is there anyhting wrong with this retro like dslr? I'm keen on buying but the fact that there are many people trying to sell makes me hesitant. Thinking of E510 instead...

tks/rgds

I believe it's more of expectation issues that makes many selling them.

Most that bought are having DSLR and EP1 doesn't perform as good as DSLR, esp in AF.

However, if you come from a PNS, you might like it better.

if u r expecting to buy EP-1 to act like a DSLR, you will be in for a disappointment. Only good thing abt Ep-1 is that you can put it into your trouser pocket to carry without a bag.

Most that bought are having DSLR and EP1 doesn't perform as good as DSLR, esp in AF.

if u r expecting to buy EP-1 to act like a DSLR, you will be in for a disappointment. Only good thing abt Ep-1 is that you can put it into your trouser pocket to carry without a bag.

Which is why I always told my friend that DSLR's size and weight has purpose for it.

what is it that u want from the camera u gonna own? There is nothing wrong with this camera. Everything is written in the specifications already. If u want a camera with dslr handling, ep1 is definitely not ur cup of tea. If u want something small and yet give dslr comparable image quality, ep1 should satisfy u.

It seems that there are many of us who want to sell their Ep1. I'm really curious why. it's a new model and the reviews have shown it's really a good camera and can produce out stunning images. Is there anyhting wrong with this retro like dslr? I'm keen on buying but the fact that there are many people trying to sell makes me hesitant. Thinking of E510 instead...

tks/rgds

Hard to say. A lot of people who buy full-size DSLR get disappointed too. Could be other way around too - people who were not sure whether they wanted DSLR or P&S so got EP-1 then realized they were better off with P&S.

Hard to say. A lot of people who buy full-size DSLR get disappointed too. Could be other way around too - people who were not sure whether they wanted DSLR or P&S so got EP-1 then realized they were better off with P&S.

Yup, as I said, expectations vs requirements.

I can buy the best DSLR in the market to pair with the most expensive lenses to get the best quality shots, but would I want to carry a brick everytime I go out shooting with my kids?

So m4/3 kinda of like trying to be a compromise for size, performance and picture quality. Somewhere in between PNS and DSLR.

There are many reasons to sell, or keep as well ... many would have bought on impulse, easy to buy, easy to sell, it's not like it costs $5000++. There are no manufacturing defects reported, so far, if that is your concern.

But I guess you might want to start with a DSLR, it should be easier to use, more lenses, accessories.

IMHO, the E-P1 is really not for newbie photography enthusiasts, even if they say so. It cannot even capture moving children or pets easily. A Panasonic GF1 might be better, but so may be the EP-2.

Basically, I concur with the E-P1 reviewer from dpreview, in his "Overall conclusions", and "Who's It For ?"

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/OlympusEP1/page37.asp

Or the Cnet reviewer's assessment:
"Olympus is targeting 3 types of shooters with the E-P1: dSLR owners looking for a compact complement, enthusiast photographers who like that rangefinder feel of compact models like the G10 but who want interchangeable lenses, and snapshooters looking to step up from a point-and-shoot model but who are leery of the bulk of a dSLR. I can't really recommend the E-P1 to folks upgrading from a point-and-shoot, since the biggest motivation there, in addition to wanting better low-light photos, tends to be a desire for better performance to shoot kids, pets and sports. On the latter count, unfortunately, the E-P1 simply doesn't deliver. But, I think the first two groups would be more forgiving of the E-P1's performance--either because they have tricks to compensate or because they have a faster camera somewhere for shooting action--and most appreciative of the design and photo quality."

http://reviews.cnet.com/digital-cameras/olympus-e-p1-silver/4505-6501_7-33688027.html

First look and impression of the E-P1 is definately a good one....(please do not quote me as I have not handled one myself)... but there are doubts in my mind about the quality of the pictures this camera can produce... I have always been a Nikon and/or Canon user and about a 2 years ago I bought a Olympus waterproof camera(only Olympus waterproof was available at that time... call it a gimmick or good marketing or kena con!!). I told myself Olympus has been in the camera business for a loooong time... and so they SHOULD produce a fairly good if not excellent camera BY NOW... I will give them credit for the waterproof capability of the camera.... it is definately thumbs up... and the underwater video recording with sound.... a feature that will totally blow you away... BUT what was disappointing is definately the quality of the pictures.... IMHO it SUCKS!... I don't consider myself a profesional in terms of photography, maybe an advanced beginner.... but the difference if so so so visibily clear when compared to pictures taken from a Nikon and/or Canon. At first I thought it was due to the underwater function that made it the way it was... but after comparing numerous times with other Olympus models (waterproof and non-waterproof)... to my surprise they bear the same results... This indeed was a disappointment... what happen to Olympus? the camera company that was around since... forever as far as I can remember... Having said all this, I am still using my Olympus waterproof camera today... but only for underwater shots(something that I can live with... in terms of quality). I was hoping with the launch of the E-P1, Olympus would have gotten their act together and come out with something of a better quality but looking at the numerous people who are selling off their E-P1 it sure does not seem like it. Because of this I am resisting the urge to get this excellent looking, excellent sized DSLR camera. Maybe the Lumix GF1 can be better.... Someone please proof me wrong...

First look and impression of the E-P1 is definately a good one....(please do not quote me as I have not handled one myself)... but there are doubts in my mind about the quality of the pictures this camera can produce... I have always been a Nikon and/or Canon user and about a 2 years ago I bought a Olympus waterproof camera(only Olympus waterproof was available at that time... call it a gimmick or good marketing or kena con!!). I told myself Olympus has been in the camera business for a loooong time... and so they SHOULD produce a fairly good if not excellent camera BY NOW... I will give them credit for the waterproof capability of the camera.... it is definately thumbs up... and the underwater video recording with sound.... a feature that will totally blow you away... BUT what was disappointing is definately the quality of the pictures.... IMHO it SUCKS!... I don't consider myself a profesional in terms of photography, maybe an advanced beginner.... but the difference if so so so visibily clear when compared to pictures taken from a Nikon and/or Canon. At first I thought it was due to the underwater function that made it the way it was... but after comparing numerous times with other Olympus models (waterproof and non-waterproof)... to my surprise they bear the same results... This indeed was a disappointment... what happen to Olympus? the camera company that was around since... forever as far as I can remember... Having said all this, I am still using my Olympus waterproof camera today... but only for underwater shots(something that I can live with... in terms of quality). I was hoping with the launch of the E-P1, Olympus would have gotten their act together and come out with something of a better quality but looking at the numerous people who are selling off their E-P1 it sure does not seem like it. Because of this I am resisting the urge to get this excellent looking, excellent sized DSLR camera. Maybe the Lumix GF1 can be better.... Someone please proof me wrong...

I owned an underwater cam from Oly too, I must admit that the images produced are not as good as others pns on the market. What made me got it is the underwater feature and the durability.

As for EP1, the built of the cam is solid and the images produced are good, as good as their dslr. I have no complaint on the images and video recording is good too. Some might complaint that the AF is slow, but to me so far so good.

I suggest you find out a bit more before concluding that EP-1 is not good. And definitely not base on your experience on another Olympus P&S which is totally no co-relationship to this. The image quality is on-par with most DSLR, if you know how to use it. And the fact that a lot of B&S actitivities on EP-1 doesn't automatically means it's not good. Had anyone thought that because there were so much hype at the begining that some buyers may be impulsive and may not had considered carefully on their purchase ?

Some of my observations on why people decided to sell:
1. They expect a DSLR equivalent AF/speed, which is not exactly fair
2. There are limited lenses available for micro 4/3, and some high-end one were pretty expensive

I think over time, this form factor could be a significant segment vs DSLR.

I suggest you find out a bit more before concluding that EP-1 is not good. And definitely not base on your experience on another Olympus P&S which is totally no co-relationship to this. The image quality is on-par with most DSLR, if you know how to use it. And the fact that a lot of B&S actitivities on EP-1 doesn't automatically means it's not good. Had anyone thought that because there were so much hype at the begining that some buyers may be impulsive and may not had considered carefully on their purchase ?

Some of my observations on why people decided to sell:
1. They expect a DSLR equivalent AF/speed, which is not exactly fair
2. There are limited lenses available for micro 4/3, and some high-end one were pretty expensive

I think over time, this form factor could be a significant segment vs DSLR.

I agree with you,the E-P1 has a 4/3s sensor,which is a bigger sensor than most,if not all PnS camera,so the quality expected is to be similar to a DSLR,people sell because cannot see the screen in bright daylight,though I have yet to experience that problem,AF speed they want a DSLR speed as chopper has already said,personally,the E-P1 is more or less similar to both my E-1 and E-3 without SWD lens (which I don't have). And I have no need for the speed. To date there are definitely less than 10 dedicated micro 4/3 lenses (I'm lazy to count). But with time,they will have more,especially Panasonic seems to be throwing out lenses pretty fast

was dreaming about the PNS size DSLR before,when saw EP1 and thought to buy,but checking and testing friend's and customers',found that i can not stop at its limitation level as i knew that if in my DSLR i can do it easily,so YES it is correct that if you are from PNS then you will happy,if from DSLR you will not happy. Its not a normal size DSLR replacement PNS size DSLR. And i decided to stick with my DSLR even though its heavy to carry around. For example i found that minimum sync for Flash is 1/30 and maximum is 1/180.

Last edited:
Like I have said before, the EP1 cannot perform equal or better than a SLR. However, it complements someone who already has a DSLR. Despite its limitations, I like the camera very much. I can virtually take it anywhere and do not feel that it is heavy or bulky. As such, I am taking way more photos than if I do not have it.

Exactly. I have 5D2 for any occassion if possible, and I will have my EP-1 for places where I don't want to bring my 5D2 or worry about damage/lost or don't want to be mistaken for an event photographer, and I will have my F200EXR for a really camera in your pocket situation. The other thing that I'm excited to try out is the image I can take with EP-1 with EF lenses, with an adaptor. Imagine a 500/5.6 with 2x converter, which makes and effective 2000mm effective focal length with the m4/3 sensor.

1000 you mean?

But what's the difference between using an ep-1 and cropping your 5dm2 photos such that it has a 1000mm equivalent focal length?

tks/rgds

really depends on what u need... personally, I use the DSLR when I need the AF speed/accuracy & comprehensive lens/flash system.

I've been thinking of getting the EP1 as a spare/fun camera for casual shooting or travel stuff but eventually decided to get a used 400D instead as an add-on to my existing canon system.

i want to justify although i am also selling e-p1 now. but if alot of people is selling a particular product when its already in hot sale outside, that means something wrong with the product? if u could have check it out at nikon section, 5 nikon d90 out of sudden is on sale, and d90 has been in hot sale a long time ago, does that also means somthing is wrong with the d90?
and if you think of it, recently the comex 2009 just finished, and newspaper annouced , all white e-p1 is sold. obviously there must be a reason for it, and yes the image quality is good, of course it cant be compared to a DSLR.

i think its really based on own thinking, once u looked into e-p1, its confirmed that the colour n size n photo quality that attracts you, and if you compare to a size n image quality n colour to a DSLR, certainly is not correct right? something like a phrase ' pick someone of your own size' .

i come no harm but ( if you are the person selling e-p1 and saw this thread ,how will you feel? ) that no matter how many threads or how many reviews you have seen, the final decision is still yours. trust in yourself. and i believe most of the people here will agree to ' camera only takes photo but a good photo is compose by you and solely you '.

ps: my friend is selling because her husband owns nikon camera n lenses.. so she sell it ( all girls should know why e-p1 attracted my female friend ) after purchasing not long, so she can share all the lenses with him. ( and don you think is very lovely ma? ) :)

1000 you mean?

But what's the difference between using an ep-1 and cropping your 5dm2 photos such that it has a 1000mm equivalent focal length?

2000. Please look at the setup again. 500 with 2x teleconverter, that gives 1000, and 1000 with effective focal length on a m4/3, which gives 2000.

I can always use my 5D2 and crop to 10 Million mm, right ? The difference is in pixel density... Again, if you come back and tell me it's the same, then I won't waste my time explaining to you.

2000. Please look at the setup again. 500 with 2x teleconverter, that gives 1000, and 1000 with effective focal length on a m4/3, which gives 2000.

I can always use my 5D2 and crop to 10 Million mm, right ? The difference is in pixel density... Again, if you come back and tell me it's the same, then I won't waste my time explaining to you.

Oh sorry I thought your 2x converter refers to the crop factor already.

Status
Not open for further replies.