ok to use soap on lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue2

Jul 18, 2003
Visit site
hi guys,
my fuji 2600 has i 'THINK' oil stains or something like that on the lens. its not fungus, but when i use a bit of water or breathe on it, i can see 1 or 2 spots where the water doesn't stick to. what could it be?

i know i can't use alcohol, but water is insufficient. what else can i use? is soap (hand soap or liquid soap) ok?

thanks.

Bring it to TCW or some camera repair shop and ask them what the stain is. The advice should be free; cleaning it is something else, depending on whether the stain is surface stain or your lens coating being eaten away. If the case of the former, cleaning might be free too.

deepblue2 said:
hi guys,
my fuji 2600 has i 'THINK' oil stains or something like that on the lens. its not fungus, but when i use a bit of water or breathe on it, i can see 1 or 2 spots where the water doesn't stick to. what could it be?

i know i can't use alcohol, but water is insufficient. what else can i use? is soap (hand soap or liquid soap) ok?

thanks.
Hi,
It is prefably not recommended because there is a possibility the soap water may get inside the lens and thus, may create a bigger problem than just a cosmetic glitch.

Just my 2 cents worth - leave it alone if it has no effect on the photos you are taking. However if it is creating some kind of trouble on your pictures, send it for servicing and leave it to the professionals.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

use cosmetic sponge (clean one lah, not from your gf hb) to suck it up. Works everytime. ;)

thanks so much for all the info guys.. really appreciate it

don't THINK it is affecting my photos, but i can't really say for sure. my photo taking ain't that great.

guess i'll bring it down to a shop for 'free' advice.

:)

Omg...soap......wah...soap was made for our bodies...not lenses my friend...=XX..

SOAP is Strictly not recommended, so is any cleaning fluid not designed for lenses cleaning (like VHS tape cleaning fluid or floppy disk cleaning fluid...etc)

you can try using a few drops of Lens cleaning fluid with Lens Tissue.
(Available in major camera stores selling camera care products)

Actually I was using soap to soak my cheapo UV filter. Got some water-mark that was really hard to get rid of. Tried many methods, and decided that if the soap method were to cause any harm to the filter, then I would just throw it away. Guess what, soap actually does work! :D

But I don't actually recommend using soap for the lenses! Not even for filter, especially those expensive ones. That's unless you are really really desperate! :bsmilie:

yaoxing said:
Is it ok to use your contact lens cleaning solution to clean your camera lenses? ;)

As far as possible, try not to use any liquid medium, be it the cleaning solution from camera cleaning kit, or cleaning solution for contacts. Liquid may leave unexpected stains that you might not want to see. If possible, try to clean it without any solution. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.