Official Plane Spotting Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caught these guys today

Sri Lankan 4R-ABN by montoyatok, on Flickr
Sri Lankan Airlines Airbus A320-200 Reg. 4R-ABN

SIA 9V-SKA by montoyatok, on Flickr
SIA Airbus A380 Reg. 9V-SKA (First A380 in SIA fleet)

Vietnam Air VN-A143 by montoyatok, on Flickr
Vietnam Airlines Boeing B777-200ER Reg. VN-A143 (I wonder why the engine nacelle is only half painted)

B-LWX by montoyatok, on Flickr
Private Gulfstream G450 Reg. B-LWX

Thai HS-TNC by montoyatok, on Flickr
Thai Airways Airbus A340-600 Reg. HS-TNC

Last edited:
Some shoots of the RSAF Rehearsal on Wed morning. Taken from MBS Skypark. Quite a wrong choice, as you can hardly hear the planes coming in and the main building blocks your view until the planes get really close.

But notice both the F15 have additional 2 equipments installed near both engine intake, one side seems like a camera, I am not sure what the other is. (May be we will have live stream from the F-15?)
The F-16 also have mock missile and fuel tank installed as well. May be someone knows their purpose.

NDP 2012 20th June Rehearsal by slmka, on Flickr

NDP 2012 20th June Rehearsal by slmka, on Flickr

The rest of the shoots are here:
NDP 2012 - a set on Flickr
Slmka,

What you referring to as a camera on the Boeing F-15SG Strike Eagle is actually the Lockheed Martin Sniper Extended Range (XR) Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) along with the Lockheed Martin Tigereye Infrared Search and Track (IRST) system, this is one of of the most advanced of such systems and a considerable technological improvement over the current Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) system consisting of both the Rafael Litening III Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) and the Lockheed Martin Pathfinder navigation pod currently equipped on the RSAF fleet of Lockheed Martin F-16D Block 52+ Fighting Falcons.

Missiles are in fact Acceleration Monitoring Assembly/Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMA/AMD) necessary to increase the Radar Cross Section (RCS) if I'm not mistaken? ;)

Slmka,

What you referring to as a camera on the Boeing F-15SG Strike Eagle is actually the Lockheed Martin Sniper Extended Range (XR) Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) along with the Lockheed Martin Tigereye Infrared Search and Track (IRST) system, this is one of of the most advanced of such systems and a considerable technological improvement over the current Low Altitude Navigation and Targeting Infrared for Night (LANTIRN) system consisting of both the Rafael Litening III Advanced Targeting Pod (ATP) and the Lockheed Martin Pathfinder navigation pod currently equipped on the RSAF fleet of Lockheed Martin F-16D Block 52+ Fighting Falcons.

Missiles are in fact Acceleration Monitoring Assembly/Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMA/AMD) necessary to increase the Radar Cross Section (RCS) if I'm not mistaken? ;)

Wow 9V, you really know your stuff! :)

I suppose if a missile was called an acceleration monitoring device (AMD), then it's purpose would be to monitor acceleration right, and not increase RCS, so I guess you are mistaken. :) :)

Wow 9V, you really know your stuff! :)

I suppose if a missile was called an acceleration monitoring device (AMD), then it's purpose would be to monitor acceleration right, and not increase RCS, so I guess you are mistaken. :) :)
All thanks to people like you! ;p

Heard it from some of my fellow techies (former crew chiefs), not too sure though on why it is termed as such but they did mentioned it is just filled with concrete or something and nothing else. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Last edited:
All thanks to people like you! ;p

Heard it from some of my fellow techies (former crew chiefs), not too sure though on why it is termed as such but they did mentioned it is just filled with concrete or something and nothing else. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :)

I once asked one of the static display pilots at the Open House what it's used for and was told that it takes several measurements in flight. I would venture a guess that it measured acceleration in the 3 different axes? :)

Would be quite dumb to carry a block of concrete right? :)

I once asked one of the static display pilots at the Open House what it's used for and was told that it takes several measurements in flight. I would venture a guess that it measured acceleration in the 3 different axes? :)

From my renewed understanding, the Acceleration Monitoring Assembly (AMA) is either fitted with or without the Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMD (supposedly they have another separate term for it since it is also produced locally)) in which case it will be substituted with a solid block of countermass at the head to balance out any asymmetrical loading between both the port side and starboard side hardpoints or weapon stations. They do have specified purposes depending on their individual colour bands and overall paint schemes (blue, orange, red, etc. etc.).

Also my techies seems pretty adamant on their stand with further regards to what I had mentioned previously on the topic of Radar Cross Section (RCS) though they are rather reluctantly to delved into intrinsic details (OPSEC requiring Category 1 clearance maybe?). Though I see no reason to doubt their words seeing how we have built up a certain level of trust for each other over the years that we have worked together. ;)

Managed to located this piece of information on the interweb.

United States Air Force (USAF) Materiel Command (AFMC) said:
Acceleration Monitoring Assembly (AMA)

• PR Number: FD2020-02-65799
  • Item: 0001
  • NSN: 1420-01-236-5898
  • P/N: 16S2100-805
Consists of tube accel monitor interfaced with a monitor device. Assy interfaces with the missile body section for captive carry. 25" long x 5" diameter. Material: QQ-A225B6-T851. Function: maintain acft symmetry.

Hey, one of our executive once asked in a rather crude manner on WTF are hundreds of kilograms worth of Depleted Uranium (DU) doing in some of the B742 / B743s and we actually have to patiently explain to him the purpose of it and why is it critical for them to be where they are. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
From my renewed understanding, the Acceleration Monitoring Assembly (AMA) is either fitted with or without the Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMD (supposedly they have another separate term for it since it is also produced locally)) in which case it will be substituted with a solid block of countermass at the head to balance out any asymmetrical loading between both the port side and starboard side hardpoints or weapon stations. They do have specified purposes depending on their individual colour bands and overall paint schemes (blue, orange, red, etc. etc.).

Also my techies seems pretty adamant on their stand with further regards to what I had mentioned previously on the topic of Radar Cross Section (RCS) though they are rather reluctantly to delved into intrinsic details (OPSEC requiring Category 1 clearance maybe?). Though I see no reason to doubt their words seeing how we have built up a certain level of trust for each other over the years that we have worked together. ;)

Managed to located this piece of information on the interweb.

Hey, one of our executive once asked in a rather crude manner on WTF are hundreds of kilograms worth of Depleted Uranium (DU) doing in some of the B742 / B743s and we actually have to patiently explain to him the purpose of it and why is it critical for them to be where they are. :bsmilie:

Wow 9V, you definitely the man! Thanks for sharing the info. You certainly have a wealth of knowledge. :)

Wow 9V, you definitely the man! Thanks for sharing the info. You certainly have a wealth of knowledge. :)
I may have messed or missed some details here or there. So don't take my words for it, at least not a complete hundred percent. ;p

Anyway it dawned onto me when I recall the days my buddies and I used to went sailing out to sea in a leased speedboat pleasure craft (more of a enlarged motorised sampan that is constantly leaking), we used to hook up a passive Radar Target Enhancer (RTE) otherwise also known as a Radar Corner Retroreflector (RCR) elevated from the aft or the side of our hull since we once had a close up encounter of the danger kind with a bulk carrier. These passive RTE / RCR is typically of a handheld size in the geometrical shape of a octahedron (eight faces) nevertheless conical, cylindrical and spherical forms can also be found. An alternative active RTE available for purchase which receive, amplify and retransmit the echolocation pulses between the 2.90 GHz to 3.10 GHz S band and 9.30 GHz to 9.50 GHz X band with a Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP) of not more than 10 watts is much, much, much more expensive.

With my semi-educated wild goose guess, similarly I figured that the Acceleration Monitoring Assembly/Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMA/AMD (or whatever its actual acronym or terminology is)) when mounted on the Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcons could serve both a primary and secondary purposes of enhancing its Radar Cross Section (RCS) in peacetime training or when conducting Operations Other Than War (OOTW) either actively or passively and as a countermass against any asymmetrical loading between both the port side and starboard side cropped delta wings. Though I still do not see a reason to necessitate the enhancement of their RCS signature for Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) to track them through Secondary Surveillance Radars (SSRs) in whichever applicable transponder interrogation modes necessary (Mode 5 / Mode S...???) or even through Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B)..??? Possibly still not equipped for such, ay?

share with all my catch of the day. 27062012

Some catch to to share from a far away Airshow...
Hope you guys are ok with planes not taken from Singapore :)

540995_10150909960953174_1201716376_n.jpg

NATO E-3A Sentry

246575_10150909961018174_381425942_n.jpg

Luftwaffe Tornado ECR 46+36

251840_10150909961078174_1018446043_n.jpg

Royal Netherlands Air Force F-16A J-009

I may have messed or missed some details here or there. So don't take my words for it, at least not a complete hundred percent. ;p

Anyway it dawned onto me when I recall the days my buddies and I used to went sailing out to sea in a leased speedboat pleasure craft (more of a enlarged motorised sampan that is constantly leaking), we used to hook up a passive Radar Target Enhancer (RTE) otherwise also known as a Radar Corner Retroreflector (RCR) elevated from the aft or the side of our hull since we once had a close up encounter of the danger kind with a bulk carrier. These passive RTE / RCR is typically of a handheld size in the geometrical shape of a octahedron (eight faces) nevertheless conical, cylindrical and spherical forms can also be found. An alternative active RTE available for purchase which receive, amplify and retransmit the echolocation pulses between the 2.90 GHz to 3.10 GHz S band and 9.30 GHz to 9.50 GHz X band with a Equivalent Isotropically Radiated Power (EIRP) of not more than 10 watts is much, much, much more expensive.

With my semi-educated wild goose guess, similarly I figured that the Acceleration Monitoring Assembly/Acceleration Monitoring Device (AMA/AMD (or whatever its actual acronym or terminology is)) when mounted on the Lockheed Martin F-16 Fighting Falcons could serve both a primary and secondary purposes of enhancing its Radar Cross Section (RCS) in peacetime training or when conducting Operations Other Than War (OOTW) either actively or passively and as a countermass against any asymmetrical loading between both the port side and starboard side cropped delta wings. Though I still do not see a reason to necessitate the enhancement of their RCS signature for Air Traffic Controllers (ATC) to track them through Secondary Surveillance Radars (SSRs) in whichever applicable transponder interrogation modes necessary (Mode 5 / Mode S...???) or even through Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B)..??? Possibly still not equipped for such, ay?

Wow...really thanks everyone for the input. Really learned a lot of interesting information from it. ^_^

Some catch to to share from a far away Airshow...
Hope you guys are ok with planes not taken from Singapore :)

540995_10150909960953174_1201716376_n.jpg

NATO E-3A Sentry

246575_10150909961018174_381425942_n.jpg

Luftwaffe Tornado ECR 46+36

251840_10150909961078174_1018446043_n.jpg

Royal Netherlands Air Force F-16A J-009
Got a sudden urge to replay Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation and Ace Combat: Assault Horizon just by looking at your photos. :lovegrin:

Wow...really thanks everyone for the input. Really learned a lot of interesting information from it. ^_^
As of this posting, we have exceeded 1,010 replies with over 130,730 views over a period of 2 years, 4 months and 24 days (or 875 days) for an average view count of 149.415 per day in just the second instalment of this thread alone! A rather remarkable accomplishment considering most would have thought we probably wouldn't make it so far including me!

I'm pretty sure it has been a continuous learning journey process for many of us, so may I express my sincere and utmost gratitude to everybody who has taken the time and effort to contribute here in one way or another either by posting up their photos, by sharing information and also even to those who just popped by for a quick peep.

Finally, a shout-out to that special someone who had so kindly shown me photos of the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptors with accompanying description just yesterday.

Thank You! :D

More from NATO Tiger Meet 2012....
Makes me wanna dig out Falcon 4.0 and install.

563925_10150915398223174_1027404658_n.jpg

Norwegian Air Force 338 Skvadron F-16B Block 20 MLU with AMRAAM Missiles

555921_10150915398298174_866286650_n.jpg

Luftwaffe Panavia Tornado ECR

534637_10150915398333174_205835124_n.jpg

Armee De L'Air Dassault Rafale

Status
Not open for further replies.