Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

The 2.0 Firmware update has finally been released just 2 days back, i updated it but sadly cannot find much use for myself personally. Anyone mind sharing how any of the new features will better enhance practical usage?

Good for trigger happy or someone who shoot sports.

Yup, as far as I see.. only benefits sports and action photogs. But well, that's what 7D is primarily designed for anyways :)

avsquare said:
Yup, as far as I see.. only benefits sports and action photogs. But well, that's what 7D is primarily designed for anyways :)

Good point, I was hoping to see something like more bracketing shots like in the 5D3. Sadly it doesn't have that :(

On my dad's 7D, I realise when I'm choosing AF point selection (for eg switching from Zone AF to Single point AF) or switching AF point, I realise the entire viewfinder is kind of illuminated in red. The red tint goes away whenever I exit the AF selection. This is less pronounced in bright light and more pronounced in low light. I read online that when the camera is focusing the entire VF will briefly illuminate in red once the camera achieves focus. However, I've never read about anyone experiencing this when changing AF point. Even when C.Fn III-8 (VF illumination) is disabled, the red tint still appears when I change AF point. I don't remember experiencing this before he upgraded to v2.0.0, but it could be me failing to notice it previously. Does anyone experience this as well?

Just upgraded to 7D from my trusted 400D... Waiting to test it out with Angkor Wat Trip in Oct with Sgtrekkers!

DigitalCamera said:
On my dad's 7D, I realise when I'm choosing AF point selection (for eg switching from Zone AF to Single point AF) or switching AF point, I realise the entire viewfinder is kind of illuminated in red. The red tint goes away whenever I exit the AF selection. This is less pronounced in bright light and more pronounced in low light. I read online that when the camera is focusing the entire VF will briefly illuminate in red once the camera achieves focus. However, I've never read about anyone experiencing this when changing AF point. Even when C.Fn III-8 (VF illumination) is disabled, the red tint still appears when I change AF point. I don't remember experiencing this before he upgraded to v2.0.0, but it could be me failing to notice it previously. Does anyone experience this as well?

Yup, I did. I think it's a light spill. Whenever the focus points are illuminated in red, I notice that the entire viewfinder gets a very slight red illumination. Been there since I bought mine earlier this year (2nd hand) so I believe it's inherent of the construction of the camera rather than a software issue.
Edit: I must add that this issue is regardless of changing AF type, AF position, or getting focus lock. All will result in a slight red illumination over the entire viewfinder.

Last edited:
Yup, I did. I think it's a light spill. Whenever the focus points are illuminated in red, I notice that the entire viewfinder gets a very slight red illumination. Been there since I bought mine earlier this year (2nd hand) so I believe it's inherent of the construction of the camera rather than a software issue.
Edit: I must add that this issue is regardless of changing AF type, AF position, or getting focus lock. All will result in a slight red illumination over the entire viewfinder.

Thanks for your reply. The thing is most people have been talking about the red glow when achieving focus, but I haven't seen anyone mention about this happening when changing AF points. Anyway, thanks alot for your clarification!

CR has just posted some very interesting specs for the Canon 7D Mark II:

• 24MP – an all new sensor with phase AF on chip and noticeably lower noise than the current 18MP.
  • 1Dx/5D3 based AF system.
  • 10 FPS.
  • ISO 100-25600.
  • High speed video, with still capture.
  • Improved durability and sealing.
  • Available this year.

Perhaps a little wishful thinking, but if these specs turn out to be true, the 7D will easily be the best crop camera in the market!

• 24MP – an all new sensor with phase AF on chip and noticeably lower noise than the current 18MP.
  • 10 FPS.
  • ISO 100-25600.
  • Available this year.

Perhaps a little wishful thinking, but if these specs turn out to be true, the 7D will easily be the best crop camera in the market!

Specs look very appealing, but I doubt it would be released this year, since they released a new firmware to keep the 7D relevant, so I don't suppose that the 7DM2 won't be released anytime soon :think:

• 10 FPS.
  • ISO 100-25600.
  • Available this year.

Awesome specs. Albeit too god-like haha! 7D is still one of best crop cameras despite being around for 3 years :)

I would be hoping for a 6d..best worlds from the 7d n 5d out together with the articulating screen..now that it's a killer

Wow, 10fps. I think it really wants to up its ante in the FPS game coz Sony A77 has these capabilities with their SLT, but if these specs are through, the 7D Mark 2 will be easily the best crop sensor camera in the market.

DigitalCamera said:
Specs look very appealing, but I doubt it would be released this year, since they released a new firmware to keep the 7D relevant, so I don't suppose that the 7DM2 won't be released anytime soon :think:

I completely agree with you on this one. It is reasonable to be skeptical with this recent Firmware update as its an obvious bid from Canon to keep the current 7D relevant. Good point the note.

Newbie requesting for help with Canon 7D's setting modes. Just got mine a few days ago and wasn't really sure of which mode or settings to use. Would like to know what kind of settings or modes most of you 7D savvy users use for portrait, landscape and also sports mode?

I also just got my new 7D kit ii and like to know if there is any savvy users staying around woodland area where we can meet over coffee and teach me some of the setting. I tried reading the manual, YouTube... Still lost n confused. Thanks in advance

This video is very good thanks for the tips .

There is a possibility of a January 2013 announcement for the 7D Mark II. The new camera could replace both the 7D Mk I and 60D (this doesn't bode well for those waiting for a 70D).

I wonder if Canon is planning to consolidate some of its APS-C lines due to the anticipation of sales migrating to the entry level full frame 6D which also changes pricing structures?

The new 7D will have an APS-C sensor in excess of 20 mp's and a targetted frame rate of 10 fps.

Last edited:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm 20mp on a apsc sensor? Don't think it's going to be full frame..that will be killing the rest of the cameras..unless they remove something from the camera..maybe no video? Or no weather sealing..hahah..

eggie87 said:
Hmmmmmmmmmmm 20mp on a apsc sensor? Don't think it's going to be full frame..that will be killing the rest of the cameras..unless they remove something from the camera..maybe no video? Or no weather sealing..hahah..

i dont mind if its nt a full frame for the 7D MK II, but please dont take out video/weather sealing. Hahhas

• 10 FPS.
  • ISO 100-25600.
  • Available this year.

Sounds like a 1D4 killer? If you make a comparison, the only edge left of 1D4 is it's 1D-series body - integrated grip handling, better weather sealing, and possibly maintaining faster AF with f/8 AF capability.

May i ask why the need to discuss/speculate/wish/anticipate/yearn for the 7DII on a 7D thread?

How about discussing the new features that were introduced via the firmaware upgrade instead? Won't that be more constructive for fellow 7D users subscribed to this thread than admiring those sandcastles you folks just built in the air?

Has anyone tried out the RAW image processing function? Wat's your take on the NR abilities? I find it a joy to use since I usually turn the NR to standard to achieve the high fps. Anybody tried using this RAW image processing function with the image taken by another camera, does it still work?