Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

can almost smell chang er~

great shot with lots of details of the moon :O

I recently got this 3rd party grip for my 7D. Pardon for the poor image quality as taking using my lousy 3GS

image1.jpg

image.jpg

wahseng said:
I recently got this 3rd party grip for my 7D. Pardon for the poor image quality as taking using my lousy 3GS

Ahh.
I got the same grip as yours.
However after not using it for awhile my battery at times cant communicate.

:(

zeehamzah said:
Ahh.
I got the same grip as yours.
However after not using it for awhile my battery at times cant communicate.

:(

I feel that the turning wheel for the screw thread to the camera having some free play. Also it look not very close grip bet the batt grip & body

raydio said:
I took my 7D and 100-400 lens for a little work-out this evening and I shot the moon.

EXIF: 7D, 560mm (with use of Kenko 1.4x teleconverter), 1/200, ISO 100, f/8, Tripod,

Nice shot! Love it.

Like to check with owners here.

Am using 7D + Sandisk 60mb/s card.
When shooting RAW + JPEG mode, i only get max 8-10 burst shot before processing starts to lag and red light flashing. Is that normal or i should expect better?

Like to check with owners here.

Am using 7D + Sandisk 60mb/s card.
When shooting RAW + JPEG mode, i only get max 8-10 burst shot before processing starts to lag and red light flashing. Is that normal or i should expect better?

Well, the current buffer on the 7D is only for 15 RAWs, so if you're firing at full 8 fps, yes, it'll start lagging. Just wait till the new firmware is released next week. It'll upgrade the buffer to 25 RAWs, so you'll expect maybe around 15-18 for RAW+JPG mode I guess?

I took my 7D and 100-400 lens for a little work-out this evening and I shot the moon.

EXIF: 7D, 560mm (with use of Kenko 1.4x teleconverter), 1/200, ISO 100, f/8, Tripod,

2012-06-30---Moon-Shot-IMG_.jpg

If there's ever a chance, i'd like to try the 1200L with 2x extender on 1.6x crop body.
3840mm focal length.. it would be INTERESTING! :bsmilie:

If there's ever a chance, i'd like to try the 1200L with 2x extender on 1.6x crop body.
3840mm focal length.. it would be INTERESTING! :bsmilie:

You'll probably see almost nothing at F11 ;p , not to mention focus will have to be entirely manual!
But if it's a full moon, and a really really clear sky (no mist-like thingies) then you might be fine.

You'll probably see almost nothing at F11 ;p , not to mention focus will have to be entirely manual!
But if it's a full moon, and a really really clear sky (no mist-like thingies) then you might be fine.

Set distance manually to infinity, should not be an issue ;p

Thinking of upgrading my 450D to 7D (body only). Am also looking for a len to go with it. Which of the following len will you guys consider? Currently I've a EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM. Thanks in advance.

EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM
EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM

Thinking of upgrading my 450D to 7D (body only). Am also looking for a len to go with it. Which of the following len will you guys consider? Currently I've a EF-S 10-22mm f3.5-4.5 USM. Thanks in advance.

EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM
EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM

With the 7D, I would definitely go with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I have had a lot of great success with this lens and the 7D.

I also own the 24-105 which I use exclusively on my 5D. On the 7D, its just not wide enough for my use.

EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM
EF 24-70mm f2.8L USM
EF 24-105mm f4L IS USM
With the 7D, I would definitely go with the 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I have had a lot of great success with this lens and the 7D.

I also own the 24-105 which I use exclusively on my 5D. On the 7D, its just not wide enough for my use.

I was also in the exact same situation, upgrading from the 450D. Went with the 17-55. The 24-70 and 24-105 Ls are really good, but they won't be able to function as your mid-range lens since 24 on a cropped body is still rather narrow. Just remember to use a filter with the 17-55 or else you might end up with dust collecting behind the front element.

Newbie requesting for help with Canon 7D's setting modes. Just got mine a few days ago and wasn't really sure of which mode or settings to use. Would like to know what kind of settings or modes most of you 7D savvy users use for portrait, landscape and also sports mode?

mcsucram said:
Newbie requesting for help with Canon 7D's setting modes. Just got mine a few days ago and wasn't really sure of which mode or settings to use. Would like to know what kind of settings or modes most of you 7D savvy users use for portrait, landscape and also sports mode?

Manual mode all the way. 7D has 3 customisable manual modes (C1 to C3) on top of the M mode which can be handy for switching to when dealing with special conditions. Consult your manual on how to use them. Basically the default factory mode is usually sufficient in achieving what you want, and after that, you just need to suit your shooting preferences. The 7D is very customisable. You can adjust how sensitive the AF tracking is, whether it continues to seek when focus is not possible, and so on. Again, consult the manual and google for more info on what each does.

Also, if you recently got the 7D, Canon is supposed to be releasing/ have released a firmware update that increases the buffer size from 15 RAW shots to 25 RAW shots. Get it if you haven't already. The firmware also adds in-camera RAW -> JPEG conversion and a few other handy stuff (iirc, an electronic wind filter for the mic).

Manual mode all the way. 7D has 3 customisable manual modes (C1 to C3) on top of the M mode which can be handy for switching to when dealing with special conditions. Consult your manual on how to use them. Basically the default factory mode is usually sufficient in achieving what you want, and after that, you just need to suit your shooting preferences. The 7D is very customisable. You can adjust how sensitive the AF tracking is, whether it continues to seek when focus is not possible, and so on. Again, consult the manual and google for more info on what each does.

Also, if you recently got the 7D, Canon is supposed to be releasing/ have released a firmware update that increases the buffer size from 15 RAW shots to 25 RAW shots. Get it if you haven't already. The firmware also adds in-camera RAW -> JPEG conversion and a few other handy stuff (iirc, an electronic wind filter for the mic).

...and may I add, the firmware update is relatively straightforward and easy to do, but be sure to read the instructions on-line before attempting it for the first time! Failure to do so, may render your camera obsolete.

The 2.0 Firmware update has finally been released just 2 days back, i updated it but sadly cannot find much use for myself personally. Anyone mind sharing how any of the new features will better enhance practical usage?

20 burst shots raw + jpeg before buffer full. Big improvement now!