Official Canon EOS 7D User Thread Part I

Hi all,

I reckon that this thread maybe the right place to post this qtn! *fingers cross* ;p

I am planning to get a 70-200L IS. And after doing some research, and reading up some other threads, I feel more perplexed!

I am pretty skewed to get the 70-200L f/4 IS. However, I would like to find out if anyone here has used this lens in low light situation, such as perhaps, indoor events (seminars; weddings, etc) with 7D?

I know that f/2.8 IS will be better for low light conditions. But curious, if 7D is said to have good ISO Noise control, will a f/4 with pumped ISO - (between 1600 and 3200) helped with little noise in lowlight conditions?

Of cos, having the 2.8 is VERY GOOD! But in terms of the weight and price :sweat:, it is pretty much heavy on the pocket. I fear that after purchasing the f/2.8, it will no longer be a white rabbit, but most likely a white elephant in my dry cab!

Anyone?? :think:

I have a 7D and 70-200 f/4 IS. I am very pleased with this combo. I have used it in low light situations mostly at conferences and in school theaters when my kids are involved in a school drama. Depending on the theater or hall, I find that I have to play around with the settings to get some decent photos. But once found, I have been very happy with the results.

I have also taken it to Canada to photograph ice hockey in small dimly lit arenas.... very challenging as you also have to adjust for white balance because of the lighting used inside the arena. But I've also found the 70-200 f/4 IS to perform admirably in this situation.

I agree that the 2.8 would work better in lower light situations, but the thought of the weight is off-setting. I would be forced to bring a tripod with me all the time. I used a 100-400 (the great white) to photograph one of the events at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. The weight of the 70-200 /2.8 IS is similar. However, the 70-200 f/4 IS is surprisingly light.

If you are young and strong and can handle the weight of the f/2.8 then I say go for it. Otherwise, go for the f/4.0. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

I have a 7D and 70-200 f/4 IS. I am very pleased with this combo. I have used it in low light situations mostly at conferences and in school theaters when my kids are involved in a school drama. Depending on the theater or hall, I find that I have to play around with the settings to get some decent photos. But once found, I have been very happy with the results.

I have also taken it to Canada to photograph ice hockey in small dimly lit arenas.... very challenging as you also have to adjust for white balance because of the lighting used inside the arena. But I've also found the 70-200 f/4 IS to perform admirably in this situation.

I agree that the 2.8 would work better in lower light situations, but the thought of the weight is off-setting. I would be forced to bring a tripod with me all the time. I used a 100-400 (the great white) to photograph one of the events at the Beijing Olympics in 2008. The weight of the 70-200 /2.8 IS is similar. However, the 70-200 f/4 IS is surprisingly light.

If you are young and strong and can handle the weight of the f/2.8 then I say go for it. Otherwise, go for the f/4.0. Either way, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Raydio for your sharing. :) And I agree with you on the f/2.8 IS issue! Hahhaa, one more added point to f/4L!

I use F2.8 IS as a walk about lens........... didn't know it's an issue... =(

I use F2.8 IS as a walk about lens........... didn't know it's an issue... =(

Hi Promethus, I think you got it wrong. I was not saying that f/2.8 IS has an issue. it was meant for 70-200L f/2.8 IS' weight issue. ;p

Hi Promethus, I think you got it wrong. I was not saying that f/2.8 IS has an issue. it was meant for 70-200L f/2.8 IS' weight issue. ;p

It's actually not heavy once you get use to it, its just more troublesome to keep it from banging into things when walking around.

It's actually not heavy once you get use to it, its just more troublesome to keep it from banging into things when walking around.

Haha, cos it's much bigger and slightly longer?? :bsmilie: Honestly, with that weight, I dont think i can handle. :( But I do appreciate your sharing!

Good info and thanks too, am considering the 7D as primary cam with the f/4 IS. ;p

can i just ask my fellow 7D users, whats the highest iso you all dare to use with the 7D ah? wondering if iso6400 the pictures still usable after NR... =X

For me , i keep the max iso speed for 800 and apply flash during the night photography , and yeah i've tried iso 6400 , it's horrible picture for sure .

Last edited:
For me , i keep the max iso speed for 800 and apply flash during the night photography , and yeah i've tried iso 6400 , it's horrible picture for sure .
not usable even after NR? woah ok... cos just thinking about times when have to shoot in low light and cannot use flash.

can i just ask my fellow 7D users, whats the highest iso you all dare to use with the 7D ah? wondering if iso6400 the pictures still usable after NR... =X
the highest i use is 3200. Lightroom 3 is still able to reduce noise while maintaining a fair amount of detail for me.

I would say it depends I have once used up to 6400 in a ghost house ride in disneyland Paris... the noise kinda actually kinda brought up the mood that i didnt noise reduce the pic at all :)

Recently went to the Sammi concert and managed to take some pictures in pretty low light with prime lens and 3200 ISO and i have to say im quite happy with the noise after slight touch up :)

In general, I would keep max ISO at 1600. But I guess if it's really low light and you r forced to push it (and if you are not blowing up your pictures), 3200 ISO will still give you decent pictures. I wouldn't push it beyond that unless u intentionally want the noise effect on your pictures (like Black and Whites).

Anyway, not sure if it's been posted here before, but just to share some of the tutorials to better use your 7D to the fullest:-

http://www.usa.canon.com/dlc/controller?act=GetArticleAct&articleID=3167

Happy Shooting! :)

...would like to check with bros who own the 7D, what was your other options (if any) when you were buying the 7D? and what makes you decide to get the 7D over the other options? thanks for sharing with me your thots!!!!

I too, upgraded from the 500D. My options during the time were the 7D, 50D and 5D mkII. I tested all 3 extensively at Canon Vivo and finally settled for the 7D because:

1. Large viewfinder, admittedly smaller than the 5D2 but largest among APS-C. Also the ability to turn grid lines and unused AF points off is huge-resulting in an uncluttered vf.

2. Fast, snappy response. This has come in handy many times since I got the 7D. The 5D2 turned me off because of it's sluggishness. You can always slow down a fast camera, but not the other way round.

3. Soft-touch shutter button on the 7D (and 5D2). Another huge feature. this allow you to fire the shutter with a very light touch without shaking the camera. All high-end DSLRs use them, including the just released Nikon D7000.

4. 19 AF points. Although I mostly use the center point, it's always nice to have the other 18 in case you need them, and I've needed to use them a few times.

5. 3 user settings C1-C3 (7D and 5D2). I can't say enough about this. It's saved me so much time when I needed to work fast. A quick twist of the dial and the camera is instantly ready for fast action shooting, AE bracketing or just about anything you wish to set it to. A major plus.

6. Separate AF-on and AEL buttons. I use back button AF so on the 500D, the AEL button is sacrificed and AE lock is done with the shutter button (and you lose continuous metering function). On the 7D (and 5D2) I press AF-on to focus, half-press the shutter for continuous metering and if I need AE lock, just hit the AEL button. All the options are there-flexibility.

7. FE lock with M-Fn button. Straight from the 1D series. On the 500D, FE lock is done with the AE lock button so it's either one or the other, not both. With the 7D you can FE lock on one subject and AE lock on another part of the scene. Not even the 5D2 can do this.

8. Big, comfortable hand grip. That's true of all higher end models, and a good incentive to upgrade esp if you have large hands.

9. The 7D's shutter just plain sounds nice. Minor point, but to me, the icing on the cake.

I realize points 5-7 apply more to the advanced user, but if you plan to get serious with photography, it's nice to know the 7D will give you plenty of room to grow into, and you'll likely not out-grow it for a very long time (if you stick with APS-C, that is).

FWIW, I still hang on to my 500D, which I bring out when I want to go light. Besides, it's my first digital camera, and has sentimental value for me ;)

I too, upgraded from the 500D. My options during the time were the 7D, 50D and 5D mkII. I tested all 3 extensively at Canon Vivo and finally settled for the 7D because:

1. Large viewfinder, admittedly smaller than the 5D2 but largest among APS-C. Also the ability to turn grid lines and unused AF points off is huge-resulting in an uncluttered vf.

2. Fast, snappy response. This has come in handy many times since I got the 7D. The 5D2 turned me off because of it's sluggishness. You can always slow down a fast camera, but not the other way round.

3. Soft-touch shutter button on the 7D (and 5D2). Another huge feature. this allow you to fire the shutter with a very light touch without shaking the camera. All high-end DSLRs use them, including the just released Nikon D7000.

4. 19 AF points. Although I mostly use the center point, it's always nice to have the other 18 in case you need them, and I've needed to use them a few times.

5. 3 user settings C1-C3 (7D and 5D2). I can't say enough about this. It's saved me so much time when I needed to work fast. A quick twist of the dial and the camera is instantly ready for fast action shooting, AE bracketing or just about anything you wish to set it to. A major plus.

6. Separate AF-on and AEL buttons. I use back button AF so on the 500D, the AEL button is sacrificed and AE lock is done with the shutter button (and you lose continuous metering function). On the 7D (and 5D2) I press AF-on to focus, half-press the shutter for continuous metering and if I need AE lock, just hit the AEL button. All the options are there-flexibility.

7. FE lock with M-Fn button. Straight from the 1D series. On the 500D, FE lock is done with the AE lock button so it's either one or the other, not both. With the 7D you can FE lock on one subject and AE lock on another part of the scene. Not even the 5D2 can do this.

8. Big, comfortable hand grip. That's true of all higher end models, and a good incentive to upgrade esp if you have large hands.

9. The 7D's shutter just plain sounds nice. Minor point, but to me, the icing on the cake.

I realize points 5-7 apply more to the advanced user, but if you plan to get serious with photography, it's nice to know the 7D will give you plenty of room to grow into, and you'll likely not out-grow it for a very long time (if you stick with APS-C, that is).

FWIW, I still hang on to my 500D, which I bring out when I want to go light. Besides, it's my first digital camera, and has sentimental value for me ;)

can't agree more. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Amen... and Well said.

It's like a camera built with all the funcations to meet the most demanding of photographers. Never regretted buying this camera.

So much to explore when using 7D, everyday u find something new. Now just trying to shoot as often as possible to familiarise on the many different functions and find out how to best utilise them to get the pictures/effect you want.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Amen... and Well said.

It's like a camera built with all the funcations to meet the most demanding of photographers. Never regretted buying this camera.

So much to explore when using 7D, everyday u find something new. Now just trying to shoot as often as possible to familiarise on the many different functions and find out how to best utilise them to get the pictures/effect you want.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

True. There's a lot of functions in the 7D that I still have to explore. It will take me a long time before I outgrow this camera. If the 5D MkIII has most of the 7D functions, including an advanced AF, then this may be the time for me to upgrade.

Hi Will there be any outing for 7D users? i am a newbie to photography and bought the 7D. Sold my samsung nx100 bought less then 3weeks. Really hope to learn more about this camera. Cheers:)