OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 7D Mark II - User Thread

i was looking for a suitable upgrade from my entry level dslr. i was eyeing 7d2 and eyeing this thread closely....

since my 650d is probably in a better condition than 7d2, i dunwan buy already.... the battery life is an grave issue and the tech support is simply unacceptable to me...

i was looking for a suitable upgrade from my entry level dslr. i was eyeing 7d2 and eyeing this thread closely....

since my 650d is probably in a better condition than 7d2, i dunwan buy already.... the battery life is an grave issue and the tech support is simply unacceptable to me...

You still can get the 7d2...the battery still can last quite long...like 400-600 shots?

You still can get the 7d2...the battery still can last quite long...like 400-600 shots?

The senior tech told me the battery life is rated to an average of 700 shots....people have gotten up to 1100+ shots..So yea..depends on the individual cam

Hi guys,

I'm new to the 7D MkII, and this is what I encountered but I just couldn't find it anywhere in the manual that can help me resolve the 'problem' below:

One of my AF point is always blinking when I half press the shutter release, when it is not even the selected AF point. It is always the one in the middle cluster, first column and the third row.

I can't remember what I did in the menu, which I may have accidentally set wrongly.

My question is: what is it and how do I get rid of it?

Otherwise, the camera is functioning normally

Here's a shot I took using the camera:

I'd appreciate if someone can enlighten me here. :)

Cheers,

Kenny

Hi guys,

I'm new to the 7D MkII, and this is what I encountered but I just couldn't find it anywhere in the manual that can help me resolve the 'problem' below:

One of my AF point is always blinking when I half press the shutter release, when it is not even the selected AF point. It is always the one in the middle cluster, first column and the third row.

I can't remember what I did in the menu, which I may have accidentally set wrongly.

My question is: what is it and how do I get rid of it?

Otherwise, the camera is functioning normally

Here's a shot I took using the camera:

I'd appreciate if someone can enlighten me here. :)

Cheers,

Kenny

1) What was the AF mode you have selected?
2) In the menu, is there an option under AF > AF point display during focus? If there is, what's the setting there?

1) What was the AF mode you have selected?
2) In the menu, is there an option under AF > AF point display during focus? If there is, what's the setting there?

My bad, I just found out the reason why: I have accidentally made the camera remember that Af pt, just managed to erase that.

Found the answer here:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/memorizing_af_points.htmlp

Sorry guys, I apologise for not doing my homework...:(

My bad, I just found out the reason why: I have accidentally made the camera remember that Af pt, just managed to erase that.

Found the answer here:

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/memorizing_af_points.htmlp

Sorry guys, I apologise for not doing my homework...:(

No need for apology... we can all learn from each others mistakes. That's how we grow as photographers and as a community of enthusiasts. Keep the dialogue going! :)

Went science center last weekend,
Switched it on from 11am - 4pm b4 I off it, meaning it's always on stand by mode,
Took 380++ shots during the 5hrs+,raw on cf & jpeg on SD & at least 20mins of playing with the body,
that 5hrs used bout 35%,
Looks like my set still looks ok, but am suspecting dat it still consume batt when not using even after being stored away,
Cos usually my full charge shoots bout 500-600 for a duration over ard 3weeks

Last edited:
Went science center last weekend,
Switched it on from 11am - 4pm b4 I off it, meaning it's always on stand by mode,
Took 380++ shots during the 5hrs+,raw on cf & jpeg on SD & at least 20mins of playing with the body,
that 5hrs used bout 35%,
Looks like my set still looks ok, but am suspecting dat it still consume batt when not using even after being stored away,
Cos usually my full charge shoots bout 500-600 for a duration over ard 3weeks

hmm thats about average number of shots i guess..seems much better than mine=(...jealous..

hmm thats about average number of shots i guess..seems much better than mine=(...jealous..

Lol!!!!
Bro I dont c the consumption really bad during shooting but I do c it going down like 1-2weeks stored away, which didn't happen on my previous 2 canon bodies.

Ok, here comes my math, Sunday 4pm I off the cam body, was curious bout the consumption, I did a check on my cam at 5pm juz now and I was right, 3days and 1hr in my dry cabin costed me 5%, now I'm seeing another 1% drop, meaning it's bout 5%-6% for every 3days, this explains y I'm getting 500-600shots at a total duration of plus minus 3weeks(35%-38% gone in dry cabin)..... Wondering if we could change back to normal lpe6....

Ok, here comes my math, Sunday 4pm I off the cam body, was curious bout the consumption, I did a check on my cam at 5pm juz now and I was right, 3days and 1hr in my dry cabin costed me 5%, now I'm seeing another 1% drop, meaning it's bout 5%-6% for every 3days, this explains y I'm getting 500-600shots at a total duration of plus minus 3weeks(35%-38% gone in dry cabin)..... Wondering if we could change back to normal lpe6....

Is the solution to take the battery out whenever it is not in use or will it continue to drain regardless?

Is the solution to take the battery out whenever it is not in use or will it continue to drain regardless?

I think so long as the battery is in the camera, it will continue to drain.... Just like when battery not in use (in the cover outside the camera), it will still drain, but probably a wee bit slower. (at least from my 3 LP-E6 battery)

Last time with my 60d the battery would only drain 3% in an entire week if I don't touch it at all..lol with the 7dmk2 one I turn on the camera I can say bye bye to 1% already.lol..anyway my battery grip also reports different batt% even on the same batt by a big diff..left side 17% right side 23%..lol

Last time with my 60d the battery would only drain 3% in an entire week if I don't touch it at all..lol with the 7dmk2 one I turn on the camera I can say bye bye to 1% already.lol..anyway my battery grip also reports different batt% even on the same batt by a big diff..left side 17% right side 23%..lol

That is really strange... :confused:

I hope that Canon will replace the body with one that works as advertised!

Hmm will try to monitor bout taking out batt, but just wondering if any bros tried using the usual lpe6? Too bad I sold off mine b4 I got the chance to try.... Got a feeling this new batt is the culprit

Hi,
Yes. When you insert the battery in 7D2, the battery will start to provide power to the transmissive LCD viewfinders and GPS (if enabled) even your camera is power off. So you either remove battery when camera in storage (as recommended in manual) or you charge the battery (the one that in the camera) to top up the power loss before you use the camera.

Anyway, like most electronics device nowadays, there is no real power off if you don't remove the power source.

Have a nice day.

Anyway here's some random shots I took during my trip to Melbourne..mostly with my sigma 18-35mm with grad NDs .only the white cuckatoo is with my 100-400L..

$ForumRunner_20150226_124231.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124241.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124248.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124254.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124304.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124310.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124327.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124338.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124346.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124357.jpg

$ForumRunner_20150226_124407.png

$ForumRunner_20150226_124415.jpg

Last edited:

I think you are making a very informed decision...

Nvmd.

Mk2 is a blast. I loved my 7D for 5 years, solid weather sealed rugged body. Still rock sold after 5 years. I noticed the slight weakness at High ISO but then again most of the 17K photos I took at day light. Recently I acquired the Mk2. What a beast. I give a **** about DXO lab test. Their numbers might be right but what the heck. Went to Bishan park with my daughter (3 years) and what shall I say, that AF is awesome. IQ has improved, Video AF is fantastic to have, and my own high ISO tests left me satisfied. The new improved AF (taken from the 1Dx) alone is worth the upgrade. The price is great as the mk2 is essentially a mini 1Dx 9in almost all terms, i.e. AF, build quality, weather sealing, features, speed etc.) with a 70%+ reduced price tag. If speed is what u need, it's the Mk2 all the way, provided good glass is available (and I do not mean that mediocre standard 24 to 105 L piece of crap).

I also got a new grip that has a 379 price tag - jeez, Canon, what did you smoke?! It is a great piece of tech, much like the 1D series, but still expensive. I got a discount though. You may want to check out MS Color. Why Canon changed the battery, is a mystery to me. Fortunately the (older) LP-E6 still works perfectly (and I still got two almost new ones bought last year). The only difference to the new LP-E6N are 65mA less capacity of the former. What difference that makes, I dunno. I understand that the LC-E6 (charger) no longer charges third party batteries though.

Anyway, cropped sensor owners, go for it (even those who may have a 70D (ISO,IQ are almost on par though, which was to be expected given that both sport the same sensor, albeit the 7D enjoys an upgraded edition).

This thing is a blast.

Cheers.