OFFICIAL: CANON EOS 5D Mark III - User Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wah looks like all primes are not in the parfocal list :(

If you know what parfocal means, you'll know you're asking the wrong question.

any idea how do we tell which lens is parfocal, which is not? :)

You used to ask folks to google for the info they want. That applies to you now.

Anyway, a number of old lenses are parfocal:
EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM (?)
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (?)

Most newer zoom lenses are not parfocal because focusing after zooming is common practice now.

Last edited:
Parfocal lenses are zoom lenses that you can focus on one spot, adjust the focal length and yet still stay almost perfectly in focus without refocusing. Therefore it doesn't affect prime lens because there isn't a zoom to begin with. Prime lenses are more affected by focal length shrinkage(not sure whats the technical term) at closer focus distance, and also focus shift.

You used to ask folks to google for the info they want. That applies to you now.

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (?)

Most newer zoom lenses are not parfocal because focusing after zooming is common practice now.

I do apologize if I didn't search hard enough or probably my search skills suck, I didn't find any further info earlier.

I think you may be referring to my comments on a dude's request for 5D3's pricing. I did made some comments because 5D3 is a very new product that is heavily being discussed on, on this very forum. But I think this Parfocal Lens thing, isn't something that was being recently discussed on, and I don't think Canon's website maintains such a list.

But thanks for the list you've provided, I will check out my 17-40mm tonight. Will be glad to know it's a parfocal lens :)

avsquare said:
lol 600mm to beo XMM.. very very intimidating :bsmilie:

thanks haha.. I think the fishes are better equipped than me, so please don't take mine :p

XMM like it big....

Fish normally come out with very fine fisheyes pictures...

Parfocal lenses are zoom lenses that you can focus on one spot, adjust the focal length and yet still stay almost perfectly in focus without refocusing. Therefore it doesn't affect prime lens because there isn't a zoom to begin with. Prime lenses are more affected by focal length shrinkage(not sure whats the technical term) at closer focus distance, and also focus shift.

Those that maintain focus throughout the zoom range are true zoom design, those that don't are vari-focus design, which modern zoom are generally. That's what I can recall during my film days in the 80's

Those that maintain focus throughout the zoom range are true zoom design, those that don't are vari-focus design, which modern zoom are generally. That's what I can recall during my film days in the 80's

Absolutely correct, that's why I use manual focus zoom for movies. It's actually an irony that the 5D3 still uses manual focusing for movies. This could be the use of conflicting technology on a traditional DSLR system.

Anthony Lee said:
Absolutely correct, that's why I use manual focus zoom for movies. It's actually an irony that the 5D3 still uses manual focusing for movies. This could be the use of conflicting technology on a traditional DSLR system.

But we have to bear in mind that these functions are in a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. The primary purpose is to shoot stills. If autofocusing video is your primary use, there are always dedicated video cams.

But we have to bear in mind that these functions are in a Digital Single Lens Reflex camera. The primary purpose is to shoot stills. If autofocusing video is your primary use, there are always dedicated video cams.

That's why I mentioned the use of conflicting technologies in the same DSLR body, if you understand what I meant.

Parfocal is true zoom...

Any idea when 24-70mk2 will reach here ?

A brief review of the Mark III experience

ISO 12800

ISO

I'm very, very impressed with the noise performance. A significant improvement over my Mark II and D700, especially in the shadow details beyond ISO 3200. ISO 12800 proves to be usable even at 100% resolution! ISO 25600 is still usable, provided that you don't pixel peep too much. I'm highly confident in the Mark III otherwise.

AF

This is no joke. Focusing has been very accurate and consistent. AI servo is performing excellently, and works perfectly with a nice burst rate of 6fps. I couldn't differentiate much on the performance based on my experience when I was still using my 1D Mark III back then, apart from the 10 fps. This is the first non-1 series body which Canon takes AF very seriously. AF/AI Servo is flexible with full control - it can be calibrated individually within the body for advance performance, otherwise there are AI Servo presets profiles which I've observed to be excellent. There were no issues with 3rd party lenses that I've tested.

HD Video

Man this is good. Though I'm not much of a videographer, neither do I need to make use of it for my paid assignments, shooting stills at ISO 12800 is just so awesome! The dial is touch sensitive, changing settings like apertures can be done silently with a gentle tap too so that it doesn't affect the ambient sound or jerk the body while filming. There's also a headphone jack, man it looks like a giant mp3 player now with my headphones on.

Others

Having a split screen in image playback is one sweet feature! I no longer need to trouble myself to scroll left and right whenever I want to compare compositions, histograms, etc, between photos.
It took me a while to get use to the magnifying of images in playback though, but I find it more practical as compared to the classic method as time goes by.

In short, it's a near perfect camera, and it shall be the bestfriend of my D800 maybe in time to come.
I highly recommend it!

Any idea when 24-70mk2 will reach here ?

local stores and Canon SG doesn't seem to have a clue when I last check.. Cathay Photo guessed somewhere June.. later I go check Canon Japan to see for any hints or not :bsmilie:

Video is manual focus only :) Once you zoom, need to manual refocus…it's a skill and i believe there are "professionals" hired just to focus when zooming for videos

depends on your lens. some lens retain the focus when u zoom out. btw this doesn't mean if your subject move out of the dof, the focus will follow the subject.

Thanks for the info. I've upgraded from a 40D and I must say that the difference is insanely better than what I hope for. Just learning more to harness the power of the 5dm3.

Even my wife who thinks that I'm crazy to buy a body at this price is saying that it's worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've upgraded from a 40D and I must say that the difference is insanely better than what I hope for. Just learning more to harness the power of the 5dm3.

Even my wife who thinks that I'm crazy to buy a body at this price is saying that it's worth it.

At least your wife only says it's worth it..my wife wants me to buy her one and give up her 60D! She won't even touch my 5D3…because she won't touch her 60D after that haha…

BTW anyone knows where to buy a good glass type screen protector for the 5D3? It's been a while and no where seem to sell..yet..i'm getting tired of cutting temp screen proctectors meant for mobile phone every week :)

At least your wife only says it's worth it..my wife wants me to buy her one and give up her 60D! She won't even touch my 5D3…because she won't touch her 60D after that haha…

BTW anyone knows where to buy a good glass type screen protector for the 5D3? It's been a while and no where seem to sell..yet..i'm getting tired of cutting temp screen proctectors meant for mobile phone every week :)

U are in a very good position to have everything (bodies, lens) u want as she is equally being poisoned.
Yes, btw, is there any plastic protector (like N) for the screen?

Last edited:
If you know what parfocal means, you'll know you're asking the wrong question.

EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM
EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
EF 70-200mm f/4L USM (?)

Any bros with a 5D3 and one of the above listed lens can test to confirm?

I tested my 17-40L on 5D3. Indeed parfocal. Tested on video mode, I'm surprised that auto-focus works! I purposely started video with wrong focus, I pressed the AF-ON button and it will auto focus itself. :D

avsquare said:
Any bros with a 5D3 and one of the above listed lens can test to confirm?

I tested my 17-40L on 5D3. Indeed parfocal. Tested on video mode, I'm surprised that auto-focus works! I purposely started video with wrong focus, I pressed the AF-ON button and it will auto focus itself. :D

Bro. Parfocal means the focus will stay at around the same spot even if u zoom in or out. It does not mean the 5d3 can af with that lens. Its two separate thing. The 5d3 can af with all th canon lenses in video mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.