Offensive posting by fellow CSER on classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dum Dum 2007

Dec 31, 2006
32" 67" 28"
I have recently came across this thread posting in classified, which I am quite offended by...

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397104

Below is the extract of his post. Word for Word. You guys can read it, and see if it sounds 'funny' or insulting, because I sure as hell don't find it funny.
Calling us 'cheapskates'? Threaten to beat people up for bargaining?
I have bought and sold many times before, and I think 100% of my experiences are positive, even if some deals didn't work out. Still.....advocating violence, and threats is a big :nono::nono: in our society. Are we photographers or gangsters?

Advertisement Category: Want To Sell (WTS)

Equipment Type: Tripod
Equipment Brand: Manfrotto
Equipment Model: 190xPROB and 486rc2
Price (S$): Auction start at $4 NO BNP
Description:
as i have promised to many people...but Before you read through, i would suggest that you subscribe to this page first. This is an auction for my manfrotto tripod and 486rc2 tripod head as i needed money. rule no:

1)This auction is to reveal the cheapskate in YOU and relive the buy and sell forum....hah..

2)tripod and tripod head is not spoilt, it has been well taken care but it was abused a little bit as shown in picture

3)The auction will be updated daily....so that you will know who is the highest.

4)please kindly put your name and i will however put it at the daily result.

5)THE AUCTION WILL END THIS SATURDAY MIDNIGHT and I will not entertain those bids after 0001hrs.

6)I will try to clear my PM box daily as i will NOT entertain bids through sms....

7)this auction are for confirm BUY only and no sissy quotes like,"oh sorry la, I buy already from someone...eh sorry many many!"

8) YOu want YOU bid....you ask many questions in my PM...i wont post your bid..understand?

9) and if you won, please be responsible to collect at chua chu kang area...if you ask me to travel out...i wont even bother to meet you anywhere else

click here for the previous post pictures

Contact Number: nil
Email Address: nil

Condition of Item (as per guidelines): 8
Warranty Status: nil

Package/Accessories/Extras:
comes with box and its original packaging

Additional Comments:
Potential BUYER, NS people and school children if you had won please do not ask for a bloody discount some more as it will piss me off and i may beat you up!! And please make sure you self collect in CCK area...and no other place.

Instead of persecuting just one poster with regards to his post, I think the main essence is whether the culture here has nurtured such a personality. Low bidders taking their chances, insincere offerors and bargain hunters offering lower prices when dealing face to face when the price has already been accepted beforehand, are some of the few black sheep in the B&S forums.

Granted, he should have ignored them and not put it so bluntly, but he isn't the only one at fault.

*though I think this should be under the Feedback section*

ah, should have been posted at FAQs and Feedback section.

yeah... I think he has a valid argument. I understand why he made that post/advertisement in the Classifieds section.
Basically there are a lot of people who make ridiculous bids in the B&S section. Don't know if they're genuine, or just trying their luck in case the seller is desperate.
The mentality is "if I win the bid, I get a super-good deal. If I don't win, it's no huge loss"

I don't necessarily agree with his tactics though. Posting like that is just gonna get you into trouble with the moderators, not to mention getting flamed.

Actually, I empathize with the seller in this case.

It's a pity that eBay is just not as popular among Singaporean photographers than the Buy and Sell classifieds in Clubsnap.

Having used eBay all the time when I was overseas, I much prefer the system there where EVERY bid is binding. So, bidders actually take their bids seriously. Over here, some folks bid just for the 'fun' of it and they can change their minds as and when they feel like it. It's EXTREMELY frustrating for sellers when they have to spend inordinate amounts of time communicating with different buyers just because some idiot has changed his mind. In contrast to the order in eBay, it's total chaos here... just like Pasar Malam.

But what can we do when that's what folks here prefer? Sigh....

well i'm not surprised, sometimes some of the low ballers really bid out of hand prices but the seller can just ignore them instead.

Yes, in deed very impolite, as if its favour to buyer, rather than needy seller :)

I guess we should simply ignore this to maintain our group our community as gentle and polite personals

really depends on the mods and whether they feel that this is the direction they want to go...

i was quite surprised (but not shocked) by the ad as well...

words/phrases like:

- cheapskate
- sissy
- bloody discount
- piss me off
- beat you up

all in all... if you are an adult, then its fine... just ignore him/her...

but the forum has grown over the years with many students and new enthusiast coming to learn and grow...

is this the type of culture you want to foster?

Yes, in deed very impolite, as if its favour to buyer, rather than needy seller :)

I guess we should simply ignore this to maintain our group our community as gentle and polite personals
Sometimes it is not easy to be polite to impolite buyers/bidders :)

HS

IMHO, I think he doesn't need the money.

If someone really need the money, those aren't exactly the words to use in his posting.

Selling and buying always involve at least 2 willing parties. And it doesn't require and 'beating' or abusive words.

For me, even if they seller is willing to sell his items for only $10, I will not buy it because of his AP. No offense. ;p

Basically, I hardly have any experience in the B n S, now known as the Classifieds.

From what I gathered, those blacksheeps are the newbies with just a few post. Those who put up very low bids and not giving contact numbers, those who ask many, many questions like picture of the product when you say that it is mint or quality = 10. Also, those who reserve and hold and then, at the last minute withdraw from it.

Well, if you have any experience in sales, marketing and customer service, you will understand that there are nice customers, there are nasty customers and there are difficult customers, demanding customers, ad infinitum.......

Well, c'est la vie.....

One more thing - a friend told me this when he put up a lens - bidder said that the price in HK is 670, so he bid 450 when the BNP is 680. (Local price is 890)

If you wanna to buy and sell in a public forum, just gotta bear with it la. Or else, just go sell to TCW or other used-gear dealers.

Sometimes it is not easy to be polite to impolite buyers/bidders :)

HS
that's right, buyers getting a $10 $20 items, want me to meet at CBD to view item some more.

sometime entertaining so many emails, in the end still can say not interested or MIA.

i think the seller may have been trying to refer to this unique experience, but are the choice of words really necc?

Don't these words PROVOKE a negative response?

- cheapskate
- sissy
- bloody discount
- piss me off
- beat you up

I don't think the aim is to sell anything.

Well, can see that no one bid for it.

we can't tell if anyone bid or not based on the current classified format.. Anyway, I wonder what could have caused such a posting by the seller.. Either some buyer really pissed him before, or maybe he is just joking (which would mean he's got quite a wicked sense of humour)..

in my view,
trading is based on a two-pronged approach.

The frustrations i read on sellers over here bout dealing with bogus deals and all are much understandable but in an e-commerce, at times some level of dubiousness and weak trust is present at the buyers parts. This is of course due to the virtuality of it all, how to ensure the trade would be smooth sailing?

I really hope that some degree of "give & take" and professionalism are practiced in the classified forums.

I don't fully support the notion that the "customer's always right", but if you are doing business, you should try your best to conduct some form of hospitality cause at the end of the day, the customers are the ones that provides your income. Of course that being on a larger scope, likewise, small sales like in this forum needs to be conducted with adequate decorum.

to the TS, if you are offended by his post

1. if you want a discussion on the subject, please post in the FAQ and feedback forum
2. if you want to report this post, please use the report bad post feature (triangle icon)

Thread moved from

General, Reviews, Tech Talk
Share tips & tricks, techniques, general photography chat.

seriously i don see anything wrong for bidder to bid at low price, afterall the seller stated the bid shall start at $4... if one demand high bid, he SHOULD have stated the minimal starting bid.
and yes, i must say the language used is pretty immature and unnecessary.
personally, i definitely give this type of seller a miss even tho im desperate for the items.

tho i agree some buyer are really ****, back out last minute, or even worse only contact seller few hrs after the arranged time to meet up ;(. but again, there are also seller who doesn't honor their words like taking in higher bid even tho someone has hit the BUY NOW PRICE or pass the auction end time.

Status
Not open for further replies.