NSC can do a better job

When there is a will, there is a way. ;)

I ain't saying more. Wanna know, have to PM me... And I will only answer people I am familiar with. Sorry. It is a matter of national security.. ;):bsmilie:

No prob Bro, national security is paramount. Anyway, I hope most user should know if there's major repair, NSC is always the trusted place to go.

No prob Bro, national security is paramount. Anyway, I hope most user should know if there's major repair, NSC is always the trusted place to go.

That's right bro. NSC is the best place to go.

Sounds like getting ccd sensor cleaned is a high risk decision. I suppose NSC can stop offering the service. ;)

i am not sure what you mean, but the issue is that there is potential room for demanding and unreasonable customers to claim that they did not ask for the service.

Was that $800 for labour alone? The SWM is an expensive part to fix when it fails; its small size is no indicator of the cost and complexity
You should look at the pictures in the 17-35mm is kaput thread ... @#$%! it looks pretty darn complicated in there! lol, mine squeaks when focusing, think my heart squeaks along with it too *cough cough*

errr your SWM repair of $800 inclusive of service charges? think you should break down the cost and weight them.

my 24-70mm when it went in for barrel change, the parts cost $900++ service change cost $100++. And looking at the amount of work/time it take to take apart the lens and reassemble it, the man hour cost I think its reasonable. imagine it take 3hrs to open up a lens, remove the faulty parts and replace it, put it back and clean the glass pieces to ensure that lens is clean after the assembling process and then testing the lens, its about 3hrs I would say a good guage.

ever try taking apart a lens yourself? if u never try before then dont think that its a simple and quick job that doesnt require some skill to do. you be unscrewing alot of small screws here and there and carefully removing parts by parts so as not to damage any other parts.

and y the parts are so expensive? mechnical parts in the lens are mostly precision parts especially the mg alloy body, precision parts are not cheap to manufaturer.

Last edited:
errr your SWM repair of $800 inclusive of service charges? think you should break down the cost and weight them.

my 24-70mm when it went in for barrel change, the parts cost $900++ service change cost $100++. And looking at the amount of work/time it take to take apart the lens and reassemble it, the man hour cost I think its reasonable. imagine it take 3hrs to open up a lens, remove the faulty parts and replace it, put it back and clean the glass pieces to ensure that lens is clean after the assembling process and then testing the lens, its about 3hrs I would say a good guage.

ever try taking apart a lens yourself? if u never try before then dont think that its a simple and quick job that doesnt require some skill to do. you be unscrewing alot of small screws here and there and carefully removing parts by parts so as not to damage any other parts.

and y the parts are so expensive? mechnical parts in the lens are mostly precision parts especially the mg alloy body, precision parts are not cheap to manufaturer.

? You quoted my reply. I've never had my 17-35mm repaired.

We all know NSC personnel read or know about this forum.

TS is trying to feedback to them that it is good services for them to clean the sensor after servicing.

Ask yourself, if you send your camera in for sevicing. Would you be delighted if they ask your permission to clean your sensor while the camera is there (FOC lah)?

in the service line, its hard to please all the customer that you service, i know that as i'm in the service line as well, the number of people who expect "this & that" is horrible, now a days people who believe it is a "right" or a "must" for the service line to go the extra mile, when someone fail to do so, you can expect some customer to "go the extra mile" by complaining...

Ya... nowadays more and more people want cheap, want fresh, want big big.

Not nowadays lah.. Since begining of human era.

You are not the type that have the "3 want"? Salute!

If have I also want. But want is one thing. Need to be rooted in reality. There is never any cheap, fresh and big. Pick any 2.

better don't complain abt labour cost, the last time some dude complained, kena bang by the moderators :confused:

Actually, everyone has a choice. Think the labor charge is too high, when quoted the price, can just walk away and look for 3rd party to fix. That hard meh?

I mean, if you own a toyota you bought from Borneo motors. And it broke down. If Borneo quoted you a price and you are not happy with it, you can also approach other car repair shops to get the work done. Same concept.

huh? :dunno: n ur point being? i'm not the one complaining... when did i say it's hard to walk away n look for 3rd party? :think:

n of course i know the concept of choice.

A bit amused by all these expectations of "free service" thrown in, when they have bought into a premium brand.

There is a reason why Nikon is a premium camera brand.

Premium products are never "personal". In a sense, they are as snobbish as you yourself aspire to be when you get the product.

The amount you pay for the product is not the point. The point is that there are clearly stated and defined tiers, or guidelines, of what can and cannot be done. Example: NPS/CPS vs non-professional owners.

Else how do you decide? >$500 servicing fee then got free cleaning? Repair > 2 bodies then got free cleaning? With premium brands, the experience is never of "freebies", but of consistency. Consider Apple. Consider Lexus.

Not putting down these brands but maybe Pentax, Olympus or (maybe) Sony will offer such services for you. Did you consider what this means? It only means that as smaller companies, they have no proper guidelines in place, and so depend on "friendships" and "relationships" (e.g. if I know you well, or if I appreciate you for spending so much $, then I will give you free sensor cleanings.)

It's about the brand experience. If you want service based on "friendships", then maybe you bought into the wrong system.

i believe this topic has been discussed enough, humans are never satisfied.

I suggest the mod or threadstarter should close this thread. :)

A bit amused by all these expectations of "free service" thrown in, when they have bought into a premium brand.

Premium products are never "personal". In a sense, they are as snobbish as you yourself aspire to be when you get the product.

The amount you pay for the product is not the point. The point is that there are clearly stated and defined tiers, or guidelines, of what can and cannot be done. Example: NPS/CPS vs non-professional owners.

Else how do you decide? >$500 servicing fee then got free cleaning? Repair > 2 bodies then got free cleaning? With premium brands, the experience is never of "freebies", but of consistency. Consider Apple. Consider Lexus.

Not putting down these brands but maybe Pentax, Olympus or (maybe) Sony will offer such services for you. Did you consider what this means? It only means that as smaller companies, they have no proper guidelines in place, and so depend on "friendships" and "relationships" (e.g. if I know you well, or if I appreciate you for spending so much $, then I will give you free sensor cleanings.)

It's about the brand experience. If you want service based on "friendships", then maybe you bought into the wrong system.
you're just sidetracking the issue, and with an unsubstantiated claim might I add.
Lexus doesn't give you freebies at their discretion? hahahahaha
What about Singapore Airlines? Are they a premium brand? Are their senior staff allowed to offer complimentary upgrades, etc at their discretion when the situation arises? I know for a fact that there are guidelines, but nothing so explicitly laid out in black and white about when upgrades can be given, and whom the upgrades are given to.

So, even premium brands can offer certain free products or services to their customers, if it means achieving increased customer satisfaction or achieving brand loyalty.

but that's not quite the issue here.
daredevil123 has already highlighted that there are 2 sides to the coin in this issue.
We as customers hope for as many freebies as possible, but the service provider has to balance out resources, cost, and customer requests.

Are their senior staff allowed to offer complimentary upgrades, etc at their discretion when the situation arises?

As you say, "when the situation arises". Do they offer these upgrades unbidden? Or do they offer them in response to situations that most likely involve complaints?

Besides, since we speak of airlines, try getting an upgrade to first class. You know that the level of service in first class is very different from business class, than business is from economy class.

Fair enough, I should have said "premium brands do not depend on freebies" rather than "do not give freebies."

My point is that freebies are not the central part of a premium experience.

As you say, "when the situation arises". Do they offer these upgrades unbidden? Or do they offer them in response to situations that most likely involve complaints?

Besides, since we speak of airlines, try getting an upgrade to first class. You know that the level of service in first class is very different from business class, than business is from economy class.

Fair enough, I should have said "premium brands do not depend on freebies" rather than "do not give freebies."

I think there is a disconnect in your argument somehow... :dunno:
My only argument is that "premium" brands also allow staff to offer additional freebies at their discretion. So in that sense it's wrong to distinguish between a "premium" brand and a young pretender by this means. Both play a similar game.

Last edited:
Aiyo...TS only asking for a "carrier when he purchased some fish & prawns"....what's the commotion....Keep cool :cool:

With premium brands, the experience is never of "freebies", but of consistency. Consider Apple. Consider Lexus.

What is a brand? Brand = a promise to the customer = consistency.

So be it premium or non-premium brands. They all strive to achieve consistency. Consistent to deliver their product to their target segment. Business efficiency is all about consistency.

I don't know where you learn your "marketing" concepts. But you must be living somewhere in a cave the last decades to even suggest Pentax, Olympus and Sony are "smaller companies" and have no proper guidelines in place. Pentax is owned and operated by Hoya Corp, which belongs in the Tokina group of companies. Do you even understand how many things Tokina group has their fingers in? Obviously not... And lets not even go there with SONY. Everyone knows SONY.

AFair enough, I should have said "premium brands do not depend on freebies" rather than "do not give freebies."

No brand (premium or non-premium or even budget, or low end) depends on freebies. Freebies/upgrades/gifts/promotion items is just another tool in the bag of a marketing team. It is part the marketing costs that is usually allocated in promotional/marketing spending budget. But to soley depend on giving out free work/gifts to sustain a brand is a very fast way to kill your finances and drive the company into the ground. No marketing/management executive will be that naive and stupid to do that.

So let me break the news to you. No company will ever make freebies as the central part of their brand/product experience. That is a short crash course to suicide. Selling/Retailing is all about offering value to the customer. Whether that value is "real" or "perceived" is a totally different story all together.

Last edited:
What is a brand? Brand = a promise to the customer = consistency.

So be it premium or non-premium brands. They all strive to achieve consistency. Consistent to deliver their product to their target segment. Business efficiency is all about consistency.

I don't know where you learn your "marketing" concepts. But you must be living somewhere in a cave the last decades to even suggest Pentax, Olympus and Sony are "smaller companies" and have no proper guidelines in place. Pentax is owned and operated by Hoya Corp, which belongs in the Tokina group of companies. Do you even understand how many things Tokina group has their fingers in? Obviously not... And lets not even go there with SONY. Everyone knows SONY.

No brand (premium or non-premium or even budget, or low end) depends on freebies. Freebies/upgrades/gifts/promotion items is just another tool in the bag of a marketing team. It is part the marketing costs that is usually allocated in promotional/marketing spending budget. But to soley depend on giving out free work/gifts to sustain a brand is a very fast way to kill your finances and drive the company into the ground. No marketing/management executive will be that naive and stupid to do that.

So let me break the news to you. No company will ever make freebies as the central part of their brand/product experience. That is a short crash course to suicide. Selling/Retailing is all about offering value to the customer. Whether that value is "real" or "perceived" is a totally different story all together.

:thumbsup: kudos to you