Not sure what camera to get as an upgrade - DSLR or mirror-less

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Hi guys,

I’m not sure what camera to get as an upgrade.

I have a Nikon D80 with some lenses – 18-200VR, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 70-300mm macro, and speedlight.

I also have a couple of Sony E-mount lenses (kit lens and fish-eye) but my Sony NEX is spoilt and not worth repairing.

I could either get another Nikon DSLR, or another Sony mirror-less. Or I could also sell off everything and switch to Olympus or Fuji mirror-less. What do you guys think? I mostly shoot when travelling overseas, so lightweight is important. Cheapest would be to get a Nikon D5300 body or Sony A6000 body. By the way, I already have a Fuji X100 for street shooting and landscapes, so I just want another body for zooms and macros.

What do you think?

I think for lightweight, Olympus is your best friend! Their 12-40mm 2.8 Pro Zoom will suits you best if you're into zoom and macros (it has a very "short/close?" Minimum Focus Distance).

On the selling part, it depends on whether you still have any use for the Nikon. I think if you end up getting a mirror-less or even a Sony one, your nikon gonna sits inside your cabinet for the whole time while you're traveling, so might as well sell it to fund your new system.

If you choose A6000, I think you just have to put more attention in their lens lineup. As long as they have what you need, i think it would be wise to go for the A6000, since you have the kit lens and fish-eye.

If you wanna go into Fuji, of course the spending is much higher than you stick back to Sony or going for Olympus (they still have BIG promo for their lenses, 17mm and 45mm if I'm not wrong). But you what you are going to get will be something much familiar, as you already owned the X100. The Fuji colors, interface, etc...

I think your macro setup with the Nikon, is going to be hard to match if you jump into other system. By "hard", I mean you have to spend more money to get a new setup in another system to get something similar.

It's all comes down to how much you're willing to spend.

If you want a new system, prepare your wallet, but my bet on your smile will be wider when you walk out the shop with huge bags full of gears in both of your hands hehehe...
If you stick, your wallet is "safer", and you will still smile, but not as happy like getting a whole new set of toys hehehe...

I wish you good luck on your decision, and happy hunting!

P.S. I was very unsure whether I'm qualify to give advices, as I only own a compact digital camera LOL But good luck anyway!

Hi guys,

I’m not sure what camera to get as an upgrade.

I have a Nikon D80 with some lenses – 18-200VR, 50mm 1.8, Tamron 70-300mm macro, and speedlight.

I also have a couple of Sony E-mount lenses (kit lens and fish-eye) but my Sony NEX is spoilt and not worth repairing.

I could either get another Nikon DSLR, or another Sony mirror-less. Or I could also sell off everything and switch to Olympus or Fuji mirror-less. What do you guys think? I mostly shoot when travelling overseas, so lightweight is important. Cheapest would be to get a Nikon D5300 body or Sony A6000 body. By the way, I already have a Fuji X100 for street shooting and landscapes, so I just want another body for zooms and macros.

What do you think?

Sony A6000. It boast to have the fastest AF, excellent image quality and great low light performance... It is not too large and since you already have Sony lenses then you will save on lenses.

No point getting another camera brand and need to get use to the control all over again.

Sony A6000. It boast to have the fastest AF, excellent image quality and great low light performance... It is not too large and since you already have Sony lenses then you will save on lenses.

No point getting another camera brand and need to get use to the control all over again.

Absolutely. Switching systems can be a costly affair so unless there is a strong desire or good reason to do so, it would usually be better to keep with the same system especially since the e-mount 'ecosystem' is fairly developed nowadays.