Not obvious camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm going on a Europe trip with my wife. I'll be using a Lumix fx50.

How many batteries did you brought along with you? My past experience with Europe and cold countries is that the batteries go dead very fast due to the cold. Any advice? I have 1 spare battery, now. Planning on getting another spare.

And, how many SD cards did you used? I'm not bringing my laptop. I'm planning to bring 2 or 3 1GD SD cards. Wonder if it's enough.

While in China, I didn't notice a big drop in battery life. It was snowing every day. I usually had a spare battery with me, or easily accessible in the case that it did die...and it never did. If your battery doesn't last too long atm, look into getting a third.

How long are u going for? Do u shoot RAW? How many pics a day do u think u'll shoot? Multiply out the amount of shots u think u'll take in a day by the days u are away by the size of each picture and then find out whether u are carrying enough space. Better to be safe than sorry. Being restricted in shooting is the worst thing...it happened to me a couple of times because of shooting in RAW and then i had to change back to JPEG.

in regard to the bags, i use a Crumpler Complete Seed messenger bag with the Barney Russell Bucket inside it. I don't think i really ever disguised my camera on my travels. I just chose to use my 'cheaper' lens and accepted the fact that if i were mugged, i wouldn't lose the L.

Anymore recommendations for camera bags that don't look too obvious?

I bought the vertikal bag from sports connection at the airport. Looks like a crumpler 6 million but cheap 20 plus only.

Hold the camera in your hands at all times, when the thief come, snap him and keep your memory card, give him the camera and look for him with the police later on..

I am going to London and a couple of places around there, probably Scotland and maybe France. Actually, I feel the main danger would not be at the destinations where you are doing the shooting as they are usually the touristy areas which are fairly crowded, but rather, the danger would be during the process of travelling in the subways, train, dark alleys etc.

Carrying an obvious camera bag around those areas will make you a fairly tempting target for muggers because a lone asian definitely looks out of place.

Have you travelled alone before? Is this your first time going alone? Don't have to be so paranoid. Just use your common sense and avoid "danger" places and ungodly times, and try not to draw too much attention to yourself. In this day and age, there are tons more people with more expensive equipment than you for others to target. Don't need to place so much importance on yourself that every thief in the world will want your stuff.

As the others point out, once you take your camera out, people will know, irregardless of whether the bag is "camera" type or not. I use a bag to contain all the equipment properly, not as a disguise.

I travel every year on long trips alone or with my wife and you just need to be aware of your surroundings. I use a lowepro bag, so that's as good as telling everyone I have a camera...;)

i will say get a colourful Crumpler messenger bag. you sure will look very normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.