Not obvious camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.
i tink London n France r pretty safe a place. Of course, i'm sure u'r not goin out like in the wee hrs of the day to shoot rite. So don't worry too much. Just get a bag tat u will be comfy puttin all ur gears in.

FYI, i'm using a Tamrac Adventure 8 everytime i go travelling. Wen i feel unsafe, i'l just hang the haversack to my front. If it's of any help, wenever u feel threaten just start runing.

LiquidFX said:
I am going to London and a couple of places around there, probably Scotland and maybe France. Actually, I feel the main danger would not be at the destinations where you are doing the shooting as they are usually the touristy areas which are fairly crowded, but rather, the danger would be during the process of travelling in the subways, train, dark alleys etc.

Carrying an obvious camera bag around those areas will make you a fairly tempting target for muggers because a lone asian definitely looks out of place.

If you don't feel safe being out there with a camera bag, you shouldn't be out there in the first place! Don't sweat the stealth bag, an ordinary looking cam bag will do just fine, it will neither make you any more or any less tempting to mug. Just use a bit of common sense.

I've seen press photojournalists with normal canvas bags (those bought at pasar malam) with their precious 1D + lens + flash and journalistic equipment inside...I didn't even know there was a camera in their bags till they took it out...

You can try just any backpack, and if you do not want your camera to be scratched, don't put anything else in the bag except your camera. Also try to put your bag in front of you so that you can have a full view of it at all times..

LiquidFX said:
Hi,

Does anyone know if there are across-the-body sling type camera bags that doesn't look like camera bags at all? Reason is because I will be travelling overseas alone and I do not want others (especially muggers) to know that I have an expensive camera in the bag. Backpacks are out as they are relatively easy for pickpockets in crowded areas.

To make things easier, I am not carrying any additional lenses. Just need a bag that can hold a camera, some spare batteries, wallet, passport and stuff.

Thanks!

Tenba makes (made?) inserts that basically turns any bag into a camera bag. (Most of their inserts are meant for their dual purpose briefcase bags but they will work with any non-Tenba bag of course)

http://www.tenba.com/camera/camera_accessories_II.htm (not visible on their new website at tenbagear.com so I am not sure if it's still a current product - ask Cathay)

I have the PIZT 13 which I often use with a small courier type bag or even just as a padded storage in a back pack. It also doubles up as a camera bag in a jiffy because it has D rings you can use a strap with. One of the best bag accessories I have ever owned. The PEI and PI series are basically the same without the zip top and the D-rings.

FWIW, an insert is probably a very simple thing to get someone to make. With the right nylon fabric (Tenba uses plain Jane 420 Denier nylon that you can get easily at kite shops and 'canvas' shops), all you need is to cut some camping sleeping mat foam (they have about the right density) into the suitable shapes and then get the pieces covered in the nylon fabric and sewn together with some velcro. I bet you if you mom still has a sewing machine, she can easily do you one.

I'd be more concerned as to where I might be able to get really good quality velcro and high quality webbing for such a project if you ask me ;) It might sound trivial but these little details matter to get a nicely finished product.

+evenstar said:
I've seen press photojournalists with normal canvas bags (those bought at pasar malam) with their precious 1D + lens + flash and journalistic equipment inside...I didn't even know there was a camera in their bags till they took it out...

You can try just any backpack, and if you do not want your camera to be scratched, don't put anything else in the bag except your camera. Also try to put your bag in front of you so that you can have a full view of it at all times..

FWIW, most press photographers don't own the cameras and equipment they use, so they can afford to take a lot less care with them in terms of maintaining their cosmetics.

Thanks guys! I'll definitely check out your suggestions.

Apart from daylight hours, I'll be going around at night as well

Got One At Kipling In Bugis...

wah, y do most ppl recommend such costly bags?? if i hav 1 den i'll hav 2 hide my bag also?:kok:

sORe-EyEz said:
wah, y do most ppl recommend such costly bags?? if i hav 1 den i'll hav 2 hide my bag also?:kok:

Buy the poor man's crumpler backpack, Urban from Sports Connection. Designed (more like copied) almost like Crumpler Formal Lounge, 3 colors, $47. Tear away the label also won;t heartpain.

nightwolf75 said:
once u remove the name tags, they are not dat much different from any canvas bags.

Why not get any canvas bag to start with?

clicknick said:
Buy the poor man's crumpler backpack, Urban from Sports Connection. Designed (more like copied) almost like Crumpler Formal Lounge, 3 colors, $47. Tear away the label also won;t heartpain.

thatz a gd choice, i sometimes do go there jus 2 c wads on discount. they periodically hav items on discount too!! :cheergal: :cheergal:

sORe-EyEz said:
thatz a gd choice, i sometimes do go there jus 2 c wads on discount. they periodically hav items on discount too!! :cheergal: :cheergal:

I can fit my 300D+battery grip+Sigma18-200 & 50mm1.8 & 380EX flash in the lower compartment.

Upper compartment can put a notebook + my other stuff + more lens (in my lens cases), so this bag is more than big enough for me. For this price, beats lowepro or crumpler anytime for it's value for $, but this is just my opinion la, so lowepro/crumpler supporters dun flame me hor.

i bought a Eagle creek "matrix krypton "and took my insert from my other camera bag. from the stealth 400.. and place it inside the creek.
the colour of the bag is army green.. so when i had pack the camera in . it fit just nice and doesnt look like a camera bag @ all. Dun need to peel off any label or what .. it has several compartment that allows you to keep cash memory cards ..several secure compartment that allow you to zip up. the main compartment is also allow you to zip..

it something like this ..
http://www.eaglecreek.com/60132.html

but they dun have the bag in the website

sORe-EyEz said:
how about a messenger bag?? it looks like a document bag, only bulkier- 2 acommodate an SLR. get a lesser known brand. not so heart pain wen ripping off d logo...:bsmilie:

i manage 2 fit-
. an SLR
. a wide angle zoom lense
. external flash
. a 500ml water bottle
. table tripod
in de main compartment.:bigeyes:

de $$ of such bag depends on d brand u r buying & where. it can range from $70-$250.

my messenger bag of this capacity is a Safrotto (4got wad model already). it costs $75 after discount! hehee...:sweatsm:

the 2 aspects u may wanna consider is padding & water proofing.

no point having a bag that camoflauge well, but does not protect your gear.

most normal bags does not have the AW feature like Lowepro bags.
AW matters alot to me as i have been caught in the rain a couple of times.

water usually enters the bag from its zippers.
therefore if the zippers have a layer covering it or its the waterproof zipper type, u r pretty much safe.
not 100% safe, but still safer than a zipper bag that has no protection.

markccm said:
the 2 aspects u may wanna consider is padding & water proofing.

no point having a bag that camoflauge well, but does not protect your gear.

most normal bags does not have the AW feature like Lowepro bags.
AW matters alot to me as i have been caught in the rain a couple of times.

water usually enters the bag from its zippers.
therefore if the zippers have a layer covering it or its the waterproof zipper type, u r pretty much safe.
not 100% safe, but still safer than a zipper bag that has no protection.

i hav a bag w/ waterproof zipper coating but it got worn out due 2 regular use. so far i hav not been caught in a heavy downpour b4. as 4 padding my current Safrotto bag has sufficient, but not d Lowe-Pro standard. i actually was considering Lowe-Pro, but its way above my budget.

my i suggest a rain-cover 4 ppl who use shoulder type cam bag? i bought a CamelBak sometime ago. it of a higher QC than my Tatanka!!:bigeyes:

hc any of u guys been to US for photoshoot??? isit safe there??? I will be gog to oklahoma in Dec then will travel down west to Las Vages, San Frans and LA... Pls advise id safety is a real concern for cam bag...

I believed the local residents there also do street photography too. If out of the thousands photog out there and you got mugged, statistically speaking that is bad luck. Before traveling, always get your camera insured together with your other luggage. If stolen, just report to the police, keep the report and file your insurance claim.

In summary, keep your eyes open, apply some common sense and enjoy your trip. :)

hi markccm,
Osprey Torque cost $90 from Sports Connection.
This sounds like a good deal :)

Status
Not open for further replies.