Norway Mar '13 Northern Lights chase

thoongeng

Jan 26, 2010
Joined a photography group to Norway earlier this month (5 to 13 March 2013) to try to catch the Northern Lights (aka aurora borealis). Weather was mostly not on our side, and didn't see spectacular lights as other members have posted but at least we got 1 night of good light out of the 7 nights there.

Have benefitted from advice from friends and fellow clubsnappers so just sharing some of my snaps and also some information. If there are any mistakes please let me know, comments and critique welcome too!

Here's some information I got from our guides:
- Activity goes in cycles, every 12 years there's a peak (and this year is around the peak)
- to see the lights need activity + clear skies
- usually can be seen from Oct to May (in northern Norway), other times there's too much daylight
- most commonly seen between 9pm to 12am
- Jan, Feb may be better months due to less precipitation (but also very cold)
- Shorter shutter speeds are better to 'freeze' the lights, especially those with patterns, recommended around 2-6 seconds. But this will mean high ISOs like 12,800 (full frame sensors will be advantageous here). In high activity the guide said he used shutter speeds as fast as 1/4s. (my aurora shots are done mainly at 30s, wide open F3.5, ISO800-1600 on crop sensor)

Some of my own experience:
- most of the aurora I seen looked like a greyish band in the sky with my eyes. Only the stronger activity ones can see a bit of colour (unfortunately didn't see the power ones hehe)
- Sometimes in doubt if it's aurora or clouds I try to take a test shot at max ISO sensitivity
- Composition is difficult in the dark. What I tried is to max out ISO sensitivity and shoot at shortest possible shutter speed then trial and error composition
- It's really cold when shooting auroras! Good thermals and wind protection essential

Some Northern Lights shots:

(more to come...)

Fellow participants who are clubsnap members are welcome to post here too :)

Thanks for sharing. Hope to be as lucky as you one day.

what a nice experience....

Before i die, i must do this too!

Thanks mogwai, lhjz, Daoyin, rcheong1282, chempaka and nitewalk!

I did it the 'easy' way by joining a group ;p

Sharing some other shots taken during the trip:

Thanks DinoSG!

#15 - Tromso is a nice little town =)

Tromso, Norway Mar '13 - town along coast by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

Tromso, Norway Mar '13 - Tromso Cathedral by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

#17 - it was snowing on most days that we were there - which means cloud cover and means no aurora =(

Tromso, Norway Mar '13 - it's snowing by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

#18 - my amateur birding try ;p

Tromso, Norway Mar '13 - flying by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

Thanks for viewing!

U reignited the desire in me to go Norway!

Thanks Zig Ziggler and heshanj! Glad they worked for you

U reignited the desire in me to go Norway!

hehe go go go! Just that Norway/Scandinavian countries all quite expensive hee...
If go Norway, Tromso should be good, quite a few companies doing specific photography trips to catch the lights
That night in Tromso when we got good light we shot till 12+, though our guide was willing to do another location but some of us tired so turned back (now on hindsight regretted cos after that no more good light subsequently during the trip =p)
I also went Kirkenes during my trip (city near to Russia border), but the trips were bundled with other activities eg husky ride and so not that aurora-focused
Or join a photography tour there like me no need to do that much research ;p though sometimes the fun's in the planning ;)

Last edited:
Just sharing some activities that we did there...

#19 - Seeing reindeers and taking a reindeer sledge ride ('Sami' are the indigenous people in Norway)

Tromso, Norway Mar '13 - Reindeer park Sami man and reindeer by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

#20 - We took the Hurtigruten cruise from Tromso to Kirkenes (around 2 days journey, sea was choppy many of us got seasick hehe :ipuke:)

Norway Mar '13 - cruise sunrise by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr

#21 - Catching and eating the freshly caught King Crabs. Really fresh and juicy! :bsmilie:

Kirkenes, Norway Mar '13 - our king crabs, platter 1 of 2 by knowenoughhappy, on Flickr