Non-D lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxlinksyncxx

Mar 29, 2009
Hi people!

Just want to ask, about roughly how much will Nikon non-D lenses be sold second hand?

For example, what would be the price of the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8 and the 85mm f/1.8, all non-D versions?

Thanks!

Hi people!

Just want to ask, about roughly how much will Nikon non-D lenses be sold second hand?

For example, what would be the price of the 24mm f/2.8, 28mm f/2.8 and the 85mm f/1.8, all non-D versions?

Thanks!

Price is lesser by a bit.. maybe 10% lesser and similar condition D lens.

in fact non D lens has better glass elements and built (AIS AI even better, that's why AIS 28/2.8 much expensive than AF/AFD 28/2.8)

AFD started going to be plastic.

for D and nonD the major different will be the 3D matrix, if you used to use shot and some skill applied, D will lost its only advantage

so possible to get a cheaper and better lens

for prime, MF is still the king ---AIS 28/2, 28/2.8 50/1.4 50/1.8 85/2 85/1.8 85/1.4 105/1.8 180/2.8 200/2....

the only legend is AFD 28/1.4 -- the special elements used -- this asph glass were used for AFD 28/1.4 AFD 20-35/2,8 AIS 58/1.2 only

Last edited:
Hi Xiao_shin and Nenjia,

thanks for your replies. But to clarify, the lenses I'm talking about are the AF non-D ones (i.e. AF 24mm, AF 28mm and AF 85mm) compared to the AF-D ones, not the AIS ones.

I understand that they of the same optical quality but will the prices be the 10% less as mentioned by Xiao_shin? Also, I don't get the thing about 3D matrix, could you please explain?

Thanks once again! Living and learning (in photography) right now ><

Hi Xiao_shin and Nenjia,

thanks for your replies. But to clarify, the lenses I'm talking about are the AF non-D ones (i.e. AF 24mm, AF 28mm and AF 85mm) compared to the AF-D ones, not the AIS ones.

I understand that they of the same optical quality but will the prices be the 10% less as mentioned by Xiao_shin? Also, I don't get the thing about 3D matrix, could you please explain?

Thanks once again! Living and learning (in photography) right now ><

in fact AFD and AF non D is almost same price, sometime nonD cheaper, but I believe non-D got better optical elements and formula( MTF) for 3D matrix, you may check you manual on lens compatible chat , and search on web

like this http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/nikortek.htm and http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/005c2q; http://www.apug.org/forums/forum52/54014-nikkor-af-vs-af-d-whats-difference.html

Last edited:
Ah I see! So basically the only difference is if you do not have 3D matrix metering with the non-D's right?

Do other kinds of metering work?

I also understand that the 28mm f/2.8 AF was redesigned when it changed to the AF-D. Is the D version better optically?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ah I see! So basically the only difference is if you do not have 3D matrix metering with the non-D's right?

Do other kinds of metering work?

I also understand that the 28mm f/2.8 AF was redesigned when it changed to the AF-D. Is the D version better optically?

Thanks!

I don't think so, so far best is 28/1.4 AFD then 28/2 AIS 28/2.8AIS then 24/2.8.... think AF/AFD is not as good as old design, that why they only around 300 28/1,4 5K 28/2 7-900 28/2.8AIS 400-700 AF/AFD are cheapest in 28 family

I don't think so, so far best is 28/1.4 AFD then 28/2 AIS 28/2.8AIS then 24/2.8.... think AF/AFD is not as good as old design, that why they only around 300 28/1,4 5K 28/2 7-900 28/2.8AIS 400-700 AF/AFD are cheapest in 28 family

Hmmm, so AF/AFD is no where close (in terms of price and quality for the 28mm) to the MF AIS versions?

Then how about the 24mm's AF/AFD as compared to the AIS ones (price and quality as well)?

Sorry to bother with these (noob) questions once again. Thanks!

Honestly over the years, I still cannot tell the true usefulness of a D-Lens, except when used with a flash...

And the price differences is very small, it is better to get a D version, rather than the Non-D version.

And some of the newer digital camera do not fully support Non-D version, I mean some of the functions.

I've been around a bit, I could buy AIS and E lenses new back then.

AF lens came along - "plastic stuff", exclaimed the diehard Nikon fans. Mostly body only. Almost all lens elements are still glass, except for the pastic molded Aspherical elements.

Along with AFD came the AFG stuff and a lot of truly plastic lenses, with plastic mounts, like your current AFS 18-105VR, 18-55, etc, that started around the time the AFD 28-80 came out.

But there really is no truth that AFD is plastic and AF less plastic. What changed was the quality of the plastics, at least the external appearance, and if it became more resistant to going "shinny". Bodies of AF lenses go shinny after some use, most AFD lenses remain matt.

In fact, IMHO some of the plastic quality got better, esp with the higher end lenses, like the AFD 85/1.4.

The same lens (like AF28 vs AFD28) the quality of the plastics on the body is IMHO not different.

There is talk that the AFD28 has a revised formula. I don't know if this is true. I had the AF28/2.8, I literally threw it away. It was the worst Nikon lens I had ever used. Even the AFS18-55 is better optically.

One final comment - yes it is true that the only thing that matters practically is the loss of 3D matrix metering on AF lens vs AFD. But there are other considerations, like the age of the lens, AF lenses tend to be quite old, and may no longer have replacement parts.

Having said that, I have 85/1.8, 35/2 nonD lens still in active use and they are still very good.

Last edited:
Haha alright then! Thanks for all your inputs and opinions! Learnt much from you guys, thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.