No photography onboard SIA aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh boy...

that is NOT TRUE.

take this coming from someone in the uk right now, who has been taking photos in public EVERYDAY.

Yeah and when he says everyday, he means everyday. As in, every day. Every flipping day.

:bsmilie::bsmilie:

well...than it is clearly that u dont know about the UK photographer's rights issues that was on the talk not long ago. They even had a gathering at trafalgar square to actually show their protest on this bill.

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-and-the-law.html

it is clear that you didn't read your link:

Despite the law being clear on a citizen's rights to freely take pictures in public places (with a few restrictions) there is growing evidence of the police, police community support officers (PCSOs), security guards and general jobsworths failing to respect the rights of photographers going about their lawful business.

Last edited:
well...than it is clearly that u dont know about the UK photographer's rights issues that was on the talk not long ago. They even had a gathering at trafalgar square to actually show their protest on this bill.

http://www.urban75.org/photos/photographers-rights-and-the-law.html

I think night86mare is quite acquainted with them as I am, and I am a working press photographer in the UK as well as a general photographer.

To say that "in the UK you cant simply take photos in public" is totally inaccurate. What the police do have is the right to stop you from taking photographs if they believe you are doing so as part of an act of terrorism.

The police also have the right to stop and search you in the street if they believe you are engaged in terrorist activity. Doesn't mean that "in the UK you can't simply go anywhere in public without getting searched by the police".

I think night86mare is quite acquainted with them as I am, and I am a working press photographer in the UK as well as a general photographer.

To say that "in the UK you cant simply take photos in public" is totally inaccurate. What the police do have is the right to stop you from taking photographs if they believe you are doing so as part of an act of terrorism.

The police also have the right to stop and search you in the street if they believe you are engaged in terrorist activity. Doesn't mean that "in the UK you can't simply go anywhere in public without getting searched by the police".

yes, and even then, they can't just stop you on a whim.

there have been incidences where some puffed up peacock uk policemen have stopped members of the public of doing something they were allowed to do - after that they got complaints, and reprimanded. usually these happen in cases of volunteer police officers, according to what i've read so far.

i've gotten my particulars taken down before when i was shooting the o2 dome, it was a pleasant matter, and nothing much. a lot less than what a lot of those hotshot hot-blooded "dude where's our rights" attention seekers blogging about it would have you believe. he even apologised for having to take up my time.

I don't know how to put this across. After the "incident" and after he had handed me the piece of paper with his name on it as per my request, I couldn't sleep the entire flight and decided to watch the movies onboard for the entire flight until 7:00am.

Now, if I were him, being a professional customer service provider with many years of experience to boot, surely I would realise that this passenger is a little upset. Since this passenger was awake throughout the 8-hour flight, I would have ample opportunities to exercise service recovery (no need to offer me free vouchers, etc, etc).

If I were him, I would have approached the passenger, apologised that I had to prevent the passenger from taking photos onboard the plane as it is against company policy for phototaking (assuming this is true) and perhaps just crack a joke or two to diffuse the situation. Being a very experienced cabin crew who would probably have seen and handled more "severe" incidents than this and carried out many service recoveries before, he had a choice and he made his choice, probably aware of the consequences. Maybe it was his ego that prevented him from doing so, maybe not, who knows.

I believe he has done his rationalisation and believed that he acted appropriately, in which case there wasn't much else he needed to do.

TS, I think you have been too sensitive on this issue. Yours is a midnight flight. Most flight attendant will get on their own business and leave you on your own unless you press the bell. Anyway, if I have been the flight attendant, I would regard this as a non issue and just get on with my job. What is there to be upset when you have been told to put away your camera.

Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night on flights to take a leak. When I look towards the back of the air-craft. All I can see is 200 pair of eyes. Some opened, others closed. How would I know who is happily awake and who is sleeping with a heavy heart?

And to those who keep insisting caucasians are better treated on SIA. Let me tell you this is not unique to SIA. In fact I believe this has more to do with caucasians being more open to conversation than asians, whom are usually straight face. I have also seen drunkards hual off the flight regardless of race. Here is something interesting to do. Let's reverse the roles. Had it been a caucasian male flight attendant whom have asked you to put away your camera. Would you have been more submissive and obedient?

While most flights do announced to keep all electronics equipment off during takeoffs and landings. There are also some that advises electronics equipment to remain off during the entire flight. I guess there is no hard and fast rules on this one. If I have been seated a few seats away from you. I would have asked the attendant to ask you to keep the camera. It is also my right to do so.

Your intention is to query SIA's policies and the way you were handled by the flight attendants. You did not expect that so many do not see the situation in the same light as you do. From a customer service perspective, SIA might have to apologize to respond to your complain. In reality, many would agree that you are over-reacting on the issue. maybe it is your ego as a business class passenger to expect to be appeased when asked to do something against your wishes. First time on business class?

Last edited:
Whizzard:

Your photos are too intrusive.

A "personal project" to you is an intrusion of some other persons' space.

It's pretty obvious from how you shoot, given the focal length, that you have been standing up and more or less probably behaving in a way that is deemed to "cheekopek" for anyone's good. Besides, the pictures speak for themselves.

Like David said, if you had to show your photos, you would never have been able to justify yourself beyond voyeurism.

If you had wanted to do photojournalistic photography, there would have been better ways to do it. If you ask me, these are just shots of girls with makeup.

On the photography skills part, you're using a 5d2 and 35/1.4. Don't give the whole boohaa about "I am still learning". It's not an excuse for anything.

There're a whole bunch of people who manual focus 35/1.4s on their SLRs and RFs.

Whizzard:

It's pretty obvious from how you shoot, given the focal length, that you have been standing up and more or less probably behaving in a way that is deemed to "cheekopek" for anyone's good. Besides, the pictures speak for themselves.

Like David said, if you had to show your photos, you would never have been able to justify yourself beyond voyeurism.

If you had wanted to do photojournalistic photography, there would have been better ways to do it. If you ask me, these are just shots of girls with makeup.

I am afraid that this is pretty true....
From the stewardesses point of view, you are just someone trying to get a shot of them without permission, and they get heckled a lot so they may have asked for help from their male colleague. Otherwise they would not invoke this rule...

In fact some of them have helped me take pictures of my friends and I.

actually, I doubt there is a hard and fast rule about taking pictures in the cabin... but if we insist on pressing the matter, there might be one in the future, and we might not like it... be careful what we ask for, we might actually get it... airlines and governing authorities would probably, if they are pressed into it, go with the easy option of no more photography rather than some hard to enforce ruling of what is allowed and what is not... as it is now, without a clear ruling, we can still get by with a snipe on the sly, so why force the issue :)

I just found out that photography is not allowed onboard a SIA aircraft.

I was flying to Sydney earlier this week and decided to take some photos in the plane whilst I was at my seat. The steward came charging at me and gesturing rather rudely that photography is not alllowed onboard an aircraft.

Wonder if anyone encountered the same? I wasn't even using a flash or intruding on any of the passengers' privacy. Sigh .....

I decided to look back at the original post - from here, the steward "seemed" to be rude and abrasive, but after you actually revealed the kind of shots you were taking, the whole context changes.

I think some of the earlier posts, including mine were more sympathetic, since it seemed to be SIA being rude for not allowing some flexibility.

But if I were the steward and some of my female colleagues told me what you were doing, I would also storm up to you and stop you in no uncertain terms.

Kudos to the steward for standing up for his ladies and making his stand clear and even offering you his name.

Bro, take it like a man, and live with it. The majority of us have no issues with taking pictures, but we are not aiming at the girls. Or if you really NEED to shoot them, ask their permission or pay some XMM to dress up in the Kebaya...

Cheers

MI13 is coming to catcha...

anyways, nobody has raised this point, but one reason why the steward behaved in this manner was SOME PASSENGER probably complained to him about your obtrusion and he had to protect the rights of other passengers as well.

agreed. I would do the same in highlighting to the cabin crew if a fellow passenger is clicking away around the cabin.. who know if I fall asleep and my snoring look will appear in CS... hahaha

A very interesting 7 pages long thread. I was late for this :bsmilie:

Could it be that the steward thinks that you are take pixs to be uses as training materials for other airlines ?

Actually, what he is worried is that you work for a competitor airline and take pictures of how the service is done and use it for training purposes. Quite crap but it is has been done before by other airline
;)

These are what my initial thoughts, especially after seeing your photos.

couple of possibilities here...

I assume you are flying business class and not in economy class and shoot the service in the business class.

From the few pix you have posted, I think it was quite obvious you are trying to document the in-flight service, thus got the crew worked up on it

normally in these kind of situations, they have the right to ask you to stop shooting but I believe the steward did not clarify the issue.

you should have asked for permission to shoot as I bet you would not like if I come to your office and started taking pictures of you working at your desk without your permission.

Or, it could there is someone important in the business class who started to feel uncomfortable with you pointing your camera around the cabin.

After being stopped, you could have asked to talk to the chief steward to clarify the situation and ask for permission to continue to shoot. At least you know the actual reason why you are not allowed.

Well said :thumbsup:

Why no photography on board a plane? That's a no brainer. This rule is being enforced in many places also eg shopping centers etc. For those who have little travel experience, or have traveled but too lazy to think much, here are some:

1. Terrorism. Photography is one means terrorists use to plan their stuffs. Nuff said.
2. Using the photos for commercial purposes.
3. Invasion of privacy/creating distractions among fellow passengers .

I can list more but please use a bit of the grey matter to help you get the answers.

Could be a bit too serious, but it is possible.

Whizzard:

Agree.

I have takens tonnes of photos on board airplanes such as Qantas, MAS, United A, Airasia, Jetstar Air NZ and all's well & good. I even carry around my DSLR walking along the asles to look for vantage points to shoot of that sunset/sunrise/land features, etc & nobody stopped me:dunno:

Guess that's why I dun fly SIA cos they are stuck-up, arrogant and rude to Singaporeans. They only sucker up/boot lick on the ang mohs so can get good review in international mag:sticktong unless of course that particular ang moh is a jackA#$ like the recent case

Last edited:
No issue I guess... probably just some bruised ego :)
Its the first time I've come across photos taken of the inflight services though. Try taking photos of waiters/waitresses serving in a local restaurant and see what will happen :)

to TS: next time take Air Asia. the tvc shows the small boy taking pics of the flight crew doing their duties without any issues at all! since u r an IB, can just buy the budget ticket to practise and complete your personal project. it should be peanuts to you! :p

Guess that's why I dun fly SIA cos they are stuck-up, arrogant and rude to Singaporeans.

so sorry to hear that, but i am obviously singaporean and the staff on SIA have always, always been very kind to me.

I don't know how to put this across. After the "incident" and after he had handed me the piece of paper with his name on it as per my request, I couldn't sleep the entire flight and decided to watch the movies onboard for the entire flight until 7:00am.

Now, if I were him, being a professional customer service provider with many years of experience to boot, surely I would realise that this passenger is a little upset. Since this passenger was awake throughout the 8-hour flight, I would have ample opportunities to exercise service recovery (no need to offer me free vouchers, etc, etc).

If I were him, I would have approached the passenger, apologised that I had to prevent the passenger from taking photos onboard the plane as it is against company policy for phototaking (assuming this is true) and perhaps just crack a joke or two to diffuse the situation. Being a very experienced cabin crew who would probably have seen and handled more "severe" incidents than this and carried out many service recoveries before, he had a choice and he made his choice, probably aware of the consequences. Maybe it was his ego that prevented him from doing so, maybe not, who knows.

I believe he has done his rationalisation and believed that he acted appropriately, in which case there wasn't much else he needed to do.

Anyway, the reason I posted this thread is just to share my "newly discovered" knowledge that phototaking is not allowed onboard a SIA aircraft. Its interesting that the thread has morphed into many other mini topics and also interesting to see some of the characters in CS. But, that's not something I am complaining about since its something I would have been expected to anticipate when I decided to post the first message.

I don't think there was no attenpt at "service recovery", he may be aware that you're not happy, but he have to consider the possibility that if he approch you, what if it get blown up and becomes a case of air rage? This would compromise the safety of the flight itself. Bear in mind, he have no way of telling how you would react, and since you are quitely sitting there, why take the risk?

Koudo to you for not kicking up a fuss at that point in time, but do spare a thought for others, this is not your first time you're flying SQ so maybe you should reflect on you past expericence flying with them and judge for yourself if their service is really so bad? Is there a misunderstanding? Perhaps he was a little too hursh in his actions or speech or perhaps it was due to a complain. Or maybe, without you realising it, the manner in which you took the shots warrent such reaction?

so sorry to hear that, but i am obviously singaporean and the staff on SIA have always, always been very kind to me.

Most probably some Sgp'n are like that themselves that's why the treatment :
Newton's 3rd Law of motion - For every action there is an equal opposite reaction:bsmilie:

Anyway most is what I heard are from friends flying SQ but there is one friend who die die must fly SQ to everywhere cos very patriotic one:lovegrin:

I have takens tonnes of photos on board airplanes such as Qantas, MAS, United A, Airasia, Jetstar Air NZ and all's well & good. I even carry around my DSLR walking along the asles to look for vantage points to shoot of that sunset/sunrise/land features, etc & nobody stopped me:dunno:

Guess that's why I dun fly SIA cos they are stuck-up, arrogant and rude to Singaporeans. They only sucker up/boot lick on the ang mohs so can get good review in international mag:sticktong unless of course that particular ang moh is a jackA#$ like the recent case

TS is not shootin sunset/sunrise/land features. Pls take a look at the pic on page 2 before you make judgement...:think:

Yes...SQ is always kind to me too (unless the person/passenger is unreasonable...)

I've a set of triples age 10 this year and on both my filghts with SQ they have been very nice to my family, extra ice-cream for my kids, always checking if we need anything else, helping us to take family photo and posing for photos with my kids.

TS is not shootin sunset/sunrise/land features. Pls take a look at the pic on page 2 before you make judgement...:think:

Yes, I've seen those photos but tell me what's the diff with these photos taken by TS and the ones I see in the SQ commercials & on Magazines? Maybe there is a diff between taking photos & copyright issues and TS thread is about 'No photography onboard SIA aircraft' as opposed to 'Cannot take photos of SG gals on SIA aircraft' so what's the point?

Yes...SQ is always kind to me too (unless the person/passenger is unreasonable...)

Well you are probably one of the 'guai guai' Sgp'n as are most majority so good on you mate:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.