No more F-14 Tomcats :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if cinema operators were smart, they'll do re-runs of Top Gun. :thumbsup:

I hoped that F15 is not be retired that soon. It isn't a new generation fighter either and our RSAF bought them.....

If our neighbours had the F18s, then we cannot be far behind lor. BTW, I had only seen them flown once over the skys of this neighbouring country. Are they still in use or becoz A1 is too expensive now....

philliptan said:
The problem is.... got space to display or not?! :D

Of course got, why not? ;)

BBTM said:
Of course got, why not? ;)

:thumbsup: 59.8cm by 61.8 cm!!

My display case only holds 1/72 scale... :D My 48 cm long Space Shuttle also no space liao. That's why my 60-odd airfix models remain unopened.... :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

Zplus said:
No.... they are replacing it with the F-18D Super Hornet... or Super Bug as critiques call it....;p Hardly a Tomcat....;)
Hardly a Tomcat, but the Hornet needs only 5 to 10 maintenance hours for every flight-hour, while the Tomcat needs around 50 maintenance hours for every flight-hour.
Does anybody have the comparison of accident-rate between Tomcat and Hornet?
Comparison of cost per flying-hour between Tomcat and Hornet?

G-man said:
You want videos? I give you videos!!!!

F-14 mixed footage

Fighter Fling 2003

Personally I've always had a soft spot for British jets as compared to American jets.

The downloading time is very long ... The quality of the videos are nothing great; but the fun those pilots are having on the F14 is. ;)

tsdh said:
Hardly a Tomcat, but the Hornet needs only 5 to 10 maintenance hours for every flight-hour, while the Tomcat needs around 50 maintenance hours for every flight-hour.
Does anybody have the comparison of accident-rate between Tomcat and Hornet?
Comparison of cost per flying-hour between Tomcat and Hornet?

Agree with you totally... from the ground up the Super Hornet is modular in design with lots of computerised modules. So its easy to diagnose and repair. Its also designed for multi mission from ground up... So in all these aspects its a winner. Which is why its being pushed into service over the Tomcat even though upgrading the Tomcat is possible. It'll just be not be that practical.

But.... its still not a Tomcat... hahahaa!!!
Die hard fans always like that...;)

philliptan said:
:thumbsup: 59.8cm by 61.8 cm!!

My display case only holds 1/72 scale... :D My 48 cm long Space Shuttle also no space liao. That's why my 60-odd airfix models remain unopened.... :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

I now stays in a new house. I haven't buy those expensive rack from Ikea yet. My computer area there got a lot of spaces and should easily could put it there. But my painting skills weak, hope it wouldn't spoilt a beautiful plane in the end. :(

shyanyap said:
:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just bride her with something she dying to have...sure no problem

After that she want another thing, must buy n buy n buy, I sure die! ;p

BBTM said:
After that she want another thing, must buy n buy n buy, I sure die! ;p

Just dedicate the Tomcat model to her... Stencil your name as the pilot and her name as the RIO...;)

there's a 1980 movie called 'final countdown' starring kirk douglas and martin sheen. its about an aircraft carrier getting into an electrical storm and went back in time to a day before the attack on pearl harbour. dun want to tell the rest of the story in case some of you might want to get hold of the movie.

you'll see more closeup inflight footage of the F14 including wingsweep than topgun as well as the workings onboard an aircraft carrier. those days, no computer grahics so footage is shot for the movie or with courtesy from the us navy. but topgun more garang. :cool:

anyway, time to go and get the photos from storage to have a look at this beautiful bird again.

the movie

the movie's goofs

jfoo said:
there's a 1980 movie called 'final countdown' starring kirk douglas and martin sheen. its about an aircraft carrier getting into an electrical storm and went back in time to a day before the attack on pearl harbour. dun want to tell the rest of the story in case some of you might want to get hold of the movie.

you'll see more closeup inflight footage of the F14 including wingsweep than topgun as well as the workings onboard an aircraft carrier. those days, no computer grahics so footage is shot for the movie or with courtesy from the us navy. but topgun more garang. :cool:

anyway, time to go and get the photos from storage to have a look at this beautiful bird again.

the movie

the movie's goofs

Great movie! The squadron in that show is the VF-84. Skulls and Crossbones... flying the F-14 Tomcat. Lots of flight sequences and carrier scenes.... plus F-14 vs Mitsubitshi Zeros!!!!

Hahahha same logo as the VF-1S Valkyrie piloted by Roy Folker. Guess thats where Macross got the inspiration from. ;)

f/a 18.. ... to me it sucks.. it got shoot down more times... in gulf war ..if i rem correctly.

the super hornet.. to mee its sucks also.. its just a stop gap for the next gen navy fighter.. it wont last very long...

currently i feel f22 is the top fighter,,,

super cruise. stealthy. agile.. and even visually very hard to spot during dog fight..
they got "invisible" paint job/technology.. that what a guy spooking near area51 saw...

f15 vs f22...

iria said:
f/a 18.. ... to me it sucks.. it got shoot down more times... in gulf war ..if i rem correctly.

the super hornet.. to mee its sucks also.. its just a stop gap for the next gen navy fighter.. it wont last very long...

currently i feel f22 is the top fighter,,,

super cruise. stealthy. agile.. and even visually very hard to spot during dog fight..
they got "invisible" paint job/technology.. that what a guy spooking near area51 saw...

f15 vs f22...

Invisible to radar only.... My Canon DSLR can still focus lock... .not to say some other missile locking technology... Just look at the invisible F-117A that got shot down in Kosovo...
http://www.aeronautics.ru/f117down.htm
And from the NATO side:
http://www.afa.org/magazine/june2001/0601stealth_print.html

Ok.. I guess only the Klingon cloaking device is literally an invisible shield...;p

Was it the B2 or the F117 that showed up at our AA some years back.

Remember the platoon of armed US Marines with M16 around that plane. No one is allowed within certain radius on it and it's engine was keep running on idle mode during the brief stop over.....

Status
Not open for further replies.