Nikon V3 coming... with a 70-300mm native lens

It was moving quite well in Msia and SG, but there was not much innovation?

I am not keeping tabs on mirrorless, but the ones I played with like the Fuji X-T1, Sony A6000, I think they have better designs and features than the Nikons.

Just like Nikon's compacts, I find they lose out a lot compared to those of Canon, Fuji, Sony. Their forte is still in the DSLR methinks.

well, when i got the V1, it was one of the better performing mirrorless on the market. And I got it at an obscenely low price also. The new ones are priced pretty high though.

Nikon 1 is the best mirror less system on the market [at least for me]. Micro Four Thirds and E-Mount camera/native lens combinations didn't work for me that well, native Nikkor 1 lenses on Nikon 1 bodies give me better results as a pixel peeper. :)

I guess I will try to snag a V3 on one of my next Macau/HK trips.

Last edited:
well, when i got the V1, it was one of the better performing mirrorless on the market. And I got it at an obscenely low price also. The new ones are priced pretty high though.

I was still thinking if I should get one for the missus, but eventually got her the D600 instead.

The design was nice, but as it moved on, the innovation seems to have died there. The new ones I am not too sure, but I see a lot of mirrorless these days, none of them seem to hold a Nikon or the Canon EM something, or is it ME?

It's scary how the mirrorless are moveing so fast.

I was still thinking if I should get one for the missus, but eventually got her the D600 instead.

The design was nice, but as it moved on, the innovation seems to have died there. The new ones I am not too sure, but I see a lot of mirrorless these days, none of them seem to hold a Nikon or the Canon EM something, or is it ME?

It's scary how the mirrorless are moveing so fast.

Too fast.

Yup. the first V1 was good, because the AF was so fast. But with the V2, they listened too much to the chatter (people screamed for deeper grip, built in flash, etc ,etc), and came up with a frankenstein of a camera but at the same time did not improve performance much. And they seems more interested in releasing different versions of the J or S series. Very gimmicky move. V3 seems to try to bring the system back on the right track. But they are not selling it in many countries.

Like I said many times before. CX lenses are actually very dirt cheap compared to m43 or X or E lenses. If only they price the bodies cheaper, and move more of the pricing to the lenses, they would have sold the 1 series like hotcakes. Most people went buying into a system, seldom compare the prices of the lens range. They just look at the cam body mostly and make a conclusion from there.

BTW, I still hold V1 when using my mirrorless, and have seen some Js around. Yes, very rare compared to the millions of m43 or X or E out there.

Last edited:
I have both a V1 and a J1, J1 was purchased along with the WP-N1 housing for underwater/scuba diving shots for my daughter. And the quality (while cannot match DSLR) is in my opinion way better than m43 I've tried (GF1 and 2, EP-2 and 3), in AF and pixel level performance. The EP-3 while claimed to have fastest AF was pathetic in focusing on moving subject in slightly poorer light conditions. May be it's fastest AF was measured on static subject. even in normal light the Nikon 1 focuses way faster then the m43.

And I agree if pricing of camera is lower there'd be more takers. I bought my bodies when Nikon dropped the price.

Last edited:
I was still thinking if I should get one for the missus, but eventually got her the D600 instead. The design was nice, but as it moved on, the innovation seems to have died there. The new ones I am not too sure, but I see a lot of mirrorless these days, none of them seem to hold a Nikon or the Canon EM something, or is it ME? It's scary how the mirrorless are moveing so fast.
I don't understand the hype about mirrorless. I use them myself but they aren't really better at anything than DSLR [except mounting non-native lenses]. I don't see any real innovation there either. Which innovations are that supposed to be? So far the most enjoyable cams for me are still the old dual sensor DSLR.

Last edited:
I don't understand the hype about mirrorless. I use them myself but they aren't really better at anything than DSLR [except mounting non-native lenses]. I don't see any real innovation there either. Which innovations are that supposed to be? So far the most enjoyable cams for me are still the old dual sensor DSLR.

There are quite a few things that a DSLR cannot do while the V1 can
1. total silent shutter (electronic shutter mode)
2. extreme high fps (up to 20 fps for V3)
3. This is VERY important for me - simultaneous movie and photo. For example, cutting birthday cake. You can take movie and at the right moment, take photos.
4. Super long telephoto without the super heavy weight. Just mount the 70-300VR on V1, it is converted to a wildlife lens but still handheldable.

There are quite a few things that a DSLR cannot do while the V1 can
1. total silent shutter (electronic shutter mode)
2. extreme high fps (up to 20 fps for V3)
3. This is VERY important for me - simultaneous movie and photo. For example, cutting birthday cake. You can take movie and at the right moment, take photos.
4. Super long telephoto without the super heavy weight. Just mount the 70-300VR on V1, it is converted to a wildlife lens but still handheldable.
Yeah true but all 4 of them make zero difference to me getting good shots. I didn't say Nikon 1 doesn't have useful features, I use the system myself.

Last edited: