Nikon Remote Controller

Hi, i actually bought a wireless one from NSC only to find that you have to be infront of the camera to fire it. Its quite hard to do long exposures.

So what i did was to go back to NSC 3 days later and exchanged the wireless one for a wired one. With top up of course.. The gentleman manning the sales booth was very nice and helpful.

Actually you dont need the wireless remote when you're standing in front of the camera as it has a built in timer.

But end of the day, its a matter of preference...

When I first started off, I used to prefer ML-L3 to MC-DC2, that's because I wasn't familiar with the MC-DC2's usage... Now that I'm a little bit more experienced, when I take landscapes, macro or fireworks, it is going to be MC-DC2 all the way... there is no need for me to set the mode to wireless - plug it in and just press the remote controller's button as if it's the camera's shutter release. No need to worry about 15 min expiry when using ML-L3. Making convenience a real factor.

These days, I'd still bring my ML-L3 along even though I'd be using MC-DC2 all the time. Just in case you want to do a self-portrait or group photo. Timer? No need for timer - when you're ready to shoot - just shoot. Think of it this way, when you do group photo - one joker decides to sneeze, you want to run all the way back to set the timer again? LOLz

Plus ML-L3 is really small...so small it could get lost in your pocket among the coins and keys! :bsmilie:

Last edited:
Hi all,
Need some advise. Advance thanks for the info!
Was looking for remote controller for my D90. Came across 2, Wired and Wireless.
But somehow the Wireless controller($18) is cheaper than the Wired controller ($33), which is strange to me.
Perhaps the Wired (MC-DC2) is better than the Wireless (ML-L3)?

MC-DC2: http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1287-1c0bd461f3
ML-L3: http://www.nikon.com.sg/productitem.php?pid=1011-5e393cb0a2

TS, FYI, I got the ML-L3 from SLRR at Funan for $15 or $14...

Basic remote with one button that all..

Not all bro, not all. But so far I've gotten two Nikkors from them... :bsmilie:

really ahz? so far the prices quote by them are quite good...but so far I only bought the remote and a original battery from them only...:bsmilie:

You can still do long exposures with the ML-L3. Set your camera to bulb mode, and first press on the ML-L3 opens the shutter, second press closes it.

If you use the ML-L3 indoors, you do not need to face the camera as usually the walls can bounce the IR signal.

Hi, i actually bought a wireless one from NSC only to find that you have to be infront of the camera to fire it. Its quite hard to do long exposures.

So what i did was to go back to NSC 3 days later and exchanged the wireless one for a wired one. With top up of course.. The gentleman manning the sales booth was very nice and helpful.

Actually you dont need the wireless remote when you're standing in front of the camera as it has a built in timer.

But end of the day, its a matter of preference...

really ahz? so far the prices quote by them are quite good...but so far I only bought the remote and a original battery from them only...:bsmilie:

Oh, I do my homework when I shop for lenses... DSLR body I didn't buy from them, you guess why, okayz? ;)

Okay, to balance out NNB's and XzinXrinX's post, I will say...

I enjoy using the cheapo IR remote from Nikon. Then again, I am el cheapo, but so far, I haven't encountered anyone having problems with these el cheapo devices, and I will happily use mine until the battery gives and then I will buy another IR remote from Nikon again :bsmilie:

Not sure what's the problem it gives XzinXrinX with LE shots but I use mine happily for all my LE shots. Mainly because I don't have to hold down the shutter-release. Set on timer, it will autostop when time is up. Set on bulb mode, one click will open shutter, next click will close shutter.

Oh. Got friend who called me before asking why the IR remote not working... coz he didn't change the shutter release mode. Don't let that happen to you.

I love my Nikon IR remote!

Okay, to balance out NNB's and XzinXrinX's post, I will say...

I enjoy using the cheapo IR remote from Nikon. Then again, I am el cheapo, but so far, I haven't encountered anyone having problems with these el cheapo devices, and I will happily use mine until the battery gives and then I will buy another IR remote from Nikon again :bsmilie:

Not sure what's the problem it gives XzinXrinX with LE shots but I use mine happily for all my LE shots. Mainly because I don't have to hold down the shutter-release. Set on timer, it will autostop when time is up. Set on bulb mode, one click will open shutter, next click will close shutter.

Oh. Got friend who called me before asking why the IR remote not working... coz he didn't change the shutter release mode. Don't let that happen to you.

I love my Nikon IR remote!

You mean to say, rather than buying a brand new battery you prefer a new remote?? Now, what kind of El cheapo is that? No standard one! :bsmilie: Just kidding bro.

is phottix good option than the nikon one?

Wow, the Original Nikon Remote Controller for D90 is cheap.

I got 3rd party one for my D700 :
http://www.artworkfoto.com/cable_remote.html

However, it's was having intermittent problem after using it for a few months.

Now using this :
http://www.phottix.com/wireless-remotes/phottixr-cleon-ii.html
Can use as wire/wireless.

They are all made by the same people... just the company doing the branding is diferent.

All the same...

I have both. And they both work fine since the day I got them.