Nikon or Canon for newbies?? wat model and best price aniwhere??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strongly agree... the D40/40x/60 is not an ideal choice when you are expanding your equipment in the future.... :)

Hey fellas,

This newbie is simply asking for a beginner's kit.

I think that we (myself included) sometimes over analyze the situation and provide newbies with a lifetime DSLR plan which is not really what they requested. :bsmilie:

For your stated budget, a very good startup kit is the Nikon D60 kit with Nikkor lens AF-S VR 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G.

This will leave you with a couple of hundred $$$ for other necessities such as

1. UV/Polariser Filters
2. Dry Cabinet
3. Memory Cards
4. Camera Bag
5. Tripod
6. Photoediting Software

When you want to get more serious, you can then upgrade to other lenses and camera bodies.

However, if your budget can be extended by another $1,000. I would recommend the D90 Kit with AF-S 18-105mm VR. This is an exceptional camera and lens for its price.

Hi guys

i hav fren who's getting a dslr soon.
now the problem is, he's been asking me questions which i cant answer myself.
for i myself is new to photography...
would be great if u culd help me out here..

1- Nikon or Canon?

2- Model?
(Nikon d60, d90. Canon 40D or 450D etc...)

3- Where can i get the best deal?
(recently he went to COURTS to have a look)

4- With a budget of 1.5k, wats the best deal for a new comer?

thanks a million guys..
hope to get one by the weekends..

Depend wht you like to shoot... my friend said that Canon is good for potrait, because it produce softer image, but Nikon produce an image that is sharper... (correct me if i'm wrong)

:)

Depend wht you like to shoot... my friend said that Canon is good for potrait, because it produce softer image, but Nikon produce an image that is sharper... (correct me if i'm wrong)

:)

True... Canon camera generally produce a softer image because of the AA filter.... but it also allow you to sharpen in PP... :)

Hey fellas,

This newbie is simply asking for a beginner's kit.

I think that we (myself included) sometimes over analyze the situation and provide newbies with a lifetime DSLR plan which is not really what they requested. :bsmilie:

For your stated budget, a very good startup kit is the Nikon D60 kit with Nikkor lens AF-S VR 18-55mm f3.5-5.6G.

I understand what you mean... but personally I felt that the D60 kit is "crippled", to me it is more like a marketing strategy from Nikon to coax people into buying into their Nikon system. But after they found out later that alot of existing Nikon lens don't AF... it motivate them to upgrade to a D90 or D300. :think:

Abit OT... if given a choice of either D60 kit or FZ50 for a daytime outdoor shoot, I would choose the FZ50 without hesitation.

hello bro..
give yr friend yr camera thn get yrself a D90
heheh!

IMHO Canon and Nikon produce similar image qualities.
The difference that I can see is that Canon has slightly better lens choices and quality, and price. Especially for telephoto/zoom lenses.
On the other hand Nikon has slightly better camera bodies, better high ISO performance, and (this is what I love) in-camera editing. For simple and common editing you can use this instead of having to download your images to your comp and do your editing; saves a lot of time.

I think most people who own Canon SLRs do so because of their amazing lens selection. How many times we hear people say "focus on lenses, not on bodies"?
Honestly both the camera body and the lens has to be good, in order to maximise their potential.

Nikon owners have better functions/features in their camera bodies. But do not have the priviledge of lens selection enjoyed by their Canon counterparts.

Just my opinions ;)

I am using 50D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Is my lens consider lousy?

I am using 50D with Tamron 17-50 f/2.8. Is my lens consider lousy?

What connections does your question have to the post topic? Nothing. Please don't hijack other people's threads.

Actually you can consider Canon 450D. Not too bad a camera for starters like us. And get a flash!

First thing you do is know the gear used to it
and then you know how much money you will spend yo buy those gear

Perhaps, you have to know your needs to
is it going to take photo portrait, landscape, macro, or something that you really
want to do with those new camera

Now im using Nikon D60 kit, and im likes to take portrait for prewedding and wedding
ive also got an Nikkor 50mm 1.4 AIS too
considering that lens is manual focus, so ive had to learn a lot how to use it

depend on what you were wanting to buy,
canon and nikon is good choices yes indeed for 1.5k

If you want sharp lens and bright picture take nikon
and If you want soft warm picture with a hundred lens AF take canon

Last edited:
get 2nd hand stuff..

canon or nikon dun really matter...
go the shop and test...see if u like nikon or canon better, then come cs and get 2nd hand
most cs stuff are quite steady one =)

and ya...im against d40/d60...unless u intend to use 18-55vr/55-200vr/18-200vr/50mmf1.8 afs lens only for the next 3years at least..
else top up a bit get d80/90 or lower a bit get d70/d70s

d80 price + lens : 800-1k
u still have 500 left ...get bags/tripod/card/filters...left over money go buy stocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.