Nikon Lens No Value???

The 17-35mm although it holds a better value, did not give that extra reach during that time. So having not much choice for mid-range, many ppl me included opt for the 17-55mm.

I remember during the dx era, the excellent MIJ Nikon 12-24mm f4 was the most sought after lens for wide angle fanatics.

Yeah, just like years ago, Nokia 8210 was the most popular hp ... :bsmilie:

I remember during the dx era, the excellent MIJ Nikon 12-24mm f4 was the most sought after lens for wide angle fanatics.

To me, DX should not be even considered an era.

I dont even know why the inferior DX/crop sensors existed in the first place, aside from the reason of being cheaper.

Seriously right from the beginning, when I learnt the difference between crop and full frame, it immediately sank into me that it's pointless to buy lenses for crop sensors, regardless of brand.

I dont even know why the inferior DX/crop sensors existed in the first place, aside from the reason of being cheaper.

There was a time when phones didn't have cameras, and making sensors was hard. The APS-C format was picked as it was a film format that was easier to emulate in digital.

In this current day, it doesn't make much sense to invest in APS-C/Crop factor lens.

DX exists because one size doesn't fit all.
It's a bit like saying I don't know why FX/FF exists when there's medium format, aside from it being cheaper.

There was a time when phones didn't have cameras, and making sensors was hard. The APS-C format was picked as it was a film format that was easier to emulate in digital.

In this current day, it doesn't make much sense to invest in APS-C/Crop factor lens.

yup. remember that D1 & D2 were DX too.

DX exists because one size doesn't fit all.
It's a bit like saying I don't know why FX/FF exists when there's medium format, aside from it being cheaper.

During film: 35 x MF.
now: DX x FX
Future…: FX x MF again?

To me, DX should not be even considered an era. I dont even know why the inferior DX/crop sensors existed in the first place, aside from the reason of being cheaper. Seriously right from the beginning, when I learnt the difference between crop and full frame, it immediately sank into me that it's pointless to buy lenses for crop sensors, regardless of brand.

DX was certainly an era. There was a time (when I first entered digital photography), where sensors were expensive to manufacture, and demand just inconsistent. dSLRs were still quite specialized tools - most consumers just used a compact camera. dSLRs had to compete against very capable "prosumer cameras" for the enthusiasts segment. If I recall, the first dSLR that was within the reach of hobbyists was probably the Canon 300D / Nikon D70.

Today is certainly a different picture. Mobile phones with cameras means everyone is a photographer. A dSLR has to be technically superior to be worth it's price and bulk, and FX sensors is one key differentiator.

But DX is hardly useless - many photographers in need of reach with still like DX (or use FX in DX crop mode). My 300mm instantly becomes a 450mm FX equivalent on DX. I think that's something.

Seriously right from the beginning, when I learnt the difference between crop and full frame, it immediately sank into me that it's pointless to buy lenses for crop sensors, regardless of brand.

If you understand what "Moorse Law' is about (technology evolution) you will know why sensor chips started out smaller or DX size and then years later the arrival of FX and larger and as we move toward larger sensor in the years to come.

so, no more dslr in future ... ?

Depends on what you define as 'future'

DSLRs are here to stay for a good 5-8 years more.. you're not going to see everyone on the street with it, but as mirrorless technology grows and adapts, lens designs will also catch up. (Currently the best lens are still DSLR designs)

in 100 years time.. we'll have implants in our eyes with more resolution then real life ! :p

Depends on what you define as 'future'

DSLRs are here to stay for a good 5-8 years more.. you're not going to see everyone on the street with it, but as mirrorless technology grows and adapts, lens designs will also catch up. (Currently the best lens are still DSLR designs)

in 100 years time.. we'll have implants in our eyes with more resolution then real life ! :p
don't need to have any implants in our eyes, our eyes already capture every single details, just need to extract the data from our brain.

FYI, when we say didn't see something is not truth, our eyes see everything, but our brain only process the information which we are interested to know.

I will say this again, camera and lenses are meant to use, if you don't use it, technically speaking is just a piece of junk.