Nikon D90 vs Canon 550D

Very Good !
Now 550D has been out of the race.

Case closed ;)

bro, i tout that forum is a place for discussion?? y is there a hurry to closed a thread which is open for discussion?? it might be post repeatedly but all ppl can share their experience here... shouldn't it be the way that a forum meant to be??

Very Good !
Now 550D has been out of the race.

Case closed ;)
bro, i tout that forum is a place for discussion?? y is there a hurry to closed a thread which is open for discussion?? it might be post repeatedly but all ppl can share their experience here... shouldn't it be the way that a forum meant to be??

Case is to be reopened as per TS' request.

TS, hope you could find your answer

:)

Get 550D. Hehe. Just to mix things up a bit. I'm a user. Canon lens are just awesome.

Had you ever laid your hands on these both cameras?

If you did, the choice is really obvious...

list of what are e things to look out for when buyin/testin

1)grip of camera(dont be shy hold as long as u wan)
2)try their function keys..on/off buttons, shuttle/apperture dials, shutter release
3)what u wan to do with ur camera..pictures or HD vid..(this ur choice should be very clear if u wan Vid)
4)buying with kit lens??note the extra 30mm given by cannon for extra tele..(18-135mm kit)

anyone has more to add to the list?

feel things to take note
dont let e uncle psyco you to buy either cameras..
18mega pix?? u would hardly need 12 for S10R size pictures.. i might be wrong =)

personally i use D90
cannot help bt 550D feels plasticky to mi..D90 oso plastic cover..jus feels more sturdy..
hope this helps!!
cheers!!

I'll take D90 anytime. I had made my decision 2 weeks ago and till now there isn't any single bit of regret in getting it.

I went for the D90 mainly video is not important to me.

The key for me is the pentaprism viewfinder and option for geotagging directly on raw with add on device.

Am a D90 user, rocks... ;)
I feel that the buttons and functions are all ergonomically well placed with user-friendliness design in mind.
Sturdy feel with comfortable grip than the canon, but can also feel quite heavy at times after prolonged handheld ESP with heavier lens.
Choose it because full-HD video is not what I need most. I need it to take good quality image, HD-ready is just a bonus & extra option to me.

It's an easy choice... Go with D90! I am using it, and loving it.

Tried a few Canon cameras a few days ago in Vivo City. Really didn't like their ergonomics. For example, for changing aperture, you need two fingers (one presses a button, the other rotates the dial)... It took me a while to figure that out. You may say it's a matter of habit. But since aperture-changing is so frequently performed, it should be designed to be as easily-performable as possible. It is certainly not the case with the Canon camera that I have tried.

I also tried Canon 550D. In addition to its poor ergonomics, it's soooo small and light... It's very much to my disliking.

So, the answer is obvious (at least to me). Grab a D90 and go hiking!!:thumbsup:

Just came back from an oveseas trip with the D90.

The camera (with the 18-105) survived -5C temperature in driving snow and wind, with snow and melted snow (water) on the camera.

Last edited:
Kusum Kangguru said:
Just came back from an oveseas trip with the D90.

The camera (with the 18-105) survived -5C temperature in driving snow and wind, with snow and melted snow (water) on the camera.

Wow, so there's no issue at all with all the moisture & condensation?
Cos I also planning to bring mine to china next yr but that's a winter season

Wow, so there's no issue at all with all the moisture & condensation?
Cos I also planning to bring mine to china next yr but that's a winter season

Just came back from China actually.

So far no issues with the cold, dust, condensation, and moisture.
Or maybe I am just lucky ;p fingers crossed.

*updated*
Here's a short video I took with the D90 at an attitude of ~4500m in wind and snow.
Don't mind the crappy exposure, I am new with the camera ;p

http://www.flickr.com/photos/iearth/5326342382/

Last edited:
Good for u!
In such a dilemma now... ;)

Get a feel of the D90, 550D, 50D, D3100 and D7000. Let your hands tell you the handling of Nikon and Canon.

I was at one time, in a very good position to overhaul the whole manual equipments to digital and was 90% sure it is going to be either the 50D or the 5D (because Nikon are mainly made in Thailand and China, and I really love the hospitality of Canon services!!!).

....all this until I hold the D90,.....the control wheels and buttons just simply fit into my fingers at a small twitch. As for the Canon 50D and 5D, the control wheels position is at a little odd direction/position, not too ergonomics for me? Not saying it is poor in layout, but just doesn't seem to fit my hands. I was in a dilemma and spent almost 30mins+ holding onto this 3 cameras...... and the final verdict,...ended up with what I had initially wanted to avoid!:cry:

...but then, other than the D90 images just being alittle too soft for me, I have no other regrets!;)

Besides cameras from big players like Nikon & Canon, personally, i think TS shall consider Sony Alpha A55. In term of specs, I don't think A55 will lose out to D90 or 550D.

how bout looking into the d3100 since you are a newbie... better value against the D90 and 550d

jus go for D90 if i were u..i used my friends D3000 b4...dono y he buy it..the feeling of it isnt nice even with its value..if i were to buy something that cost abt a D3000 i would ruther pay more...

hi there...i'm a newbie myself too but to nikon though...used to hv canon eos888 a very long time ago...wanted to get the canon (cant remember which model though)...had that thought all the way to the cam shop...then change my mind at the last hour at the cam counter cos passes by owners of the rival brand on the way to shop with thoughts that it was like oversell this stuff that they are carrying around their neck!!..got my d90 abt a year ago and no regrets at all!:D

just to share. i accompanied my friend a few days ago to buy camera. she bought 550D.after buying we sat at a restaurant and asked her to try with her new toy. she took my picture and saw that my picture turn out to be so fair. the colour is not natural. compare to my Nikon D90, the colour is so vibrant. my suggestion here is that u go to a camera shop that allows u to try their product. test shot with this two camera and make comparison.

ayurism said:
just to share. i accompanied my friend a few days ago to buy camera. she bought 550D.after buying we sat at a restaurant and asked her to try with her new toy. she took my picture and saw that my picture turn out to be so fair. the colour is not natural. compare to my Nikon D90, the colour is so vibrant. my suggestion here is that u go to a camera shop that allows u to try their product. test shot with this two camera and make comparison.

Haha maybe there's a 'vibrant' mode in 550D that is not set? Just like this D90 mode I'm always using by default. Never fails to amaze me when I view the pics on monitor screen. ;)