Nikon d90 or Canon 40D

Status
Not open for further replies.
being professional doesn't depends how many lenses you own or have.
I have more than 5 lenses and I have jobs booked throughout the year.
most professionals I know and are the good ones around actually have more than 4-5 lenses
its pretty shallow to judge whether the person is a lens collector/pro or just pro by just how many lenses he/she own... :nono: :thumbsd: :sweat: (4-5 lenses = most professional) then (6-7 lenses = minority professional?) :confused:

So coming back to the main topic

both the D90 and 40D are very different camera except for they are both cropped sensor.
you shouldn't just read up on the specs and features...but go and try and test it out
look into future upgrading plans for yourself too. look at the various lenses which you wish you would wanna get and the pricing. All the best to you getting that DSLR

just a foot-of-thought to share with everyone before i leave this thread.

(*Gong) if you wanna be a sifu...dun be a gearhead lens collector...and if you wanna be a professional...dun own more than 5 lenses...if you just wanna act pro...simply just scrutinize over anything and everything in CS.

Bro,
If you do large prints, get the D90. If u don't get the 40D (forget the 50D).
40D is faster (much faster), tougher body, feels better, iso control better. It has 14 Bit chip compared to 12 bit in D90 (if I didnt remember wrongly), so processes noise and colours better.

Advantage of the D90, is the video recording, which sux in today's standards, cos u cannot autofocus, and there's very much limited recording time.

40D's the way to go: u'll love the high speed continuous shooting :thumbsup:

with a $2k budget for whole system, might want to consider a D300 + 5D Mk2 kind of camera...the Pentax K20D. Its a pretty good system with almost unending range of lenses since it keeps using the same mount. Only downside is its burst fire is slower compared to D300 and no video recording.

Comparing just both bodies we would recommend the D90 as it seems to give very good value for money. In fact its actually the D90 uses the D300 with better noise control algorithms, giving slightly better noise control at high ISO, this is an advantage over both 40 and 50D.

Its large bright screen is also and advantage over the 40D's.

However, do note that you are not just buying 1 body and lens here, but starting a system, mean to say you will buy alot more lens/flash and other accessories so do choose carefully, though both this 2 brands have their advantages.

Bro,
If you do large prints, get the D90. If u don't get the 40D (forget the 50D).
40D is faster (much faster), tougher body, feels better, iso control better. It has 14 Bit chip compared to 12 bit in D90 (if I didnt remember wrongly), so processes noise and colours better.

Advantage of the D90, is the video recording, which sux in today's standards, cos u cannot autofocus, and there's very much limited recording time.

40D's the way to go: u'll love the high speed continuous shooting :thumbsup:

Hi a few points to note are:

1. 12MP vs 10MP is not significant for prints, a good quality raw image would allow you to upscale anytime.

2. D90 sensor is inherited from D300 which is 14bit. however to most photographers, it doesnt make a diff. 5D is 12bit but still way better than many 14bit bodies.

3. D90 noise control is significantly better than 40D's given any condition. in fact it is probably on the level of the 5D mark1's or higher.

Last edited:
heheheh.... I like your phrase... "gearhead lens collector". Yeps me think the same as you. He owns Primes... lots of them. He's lugging two bags of lenses and spare dslrs, the last time I saw him... Impressive.

being professional doesn't depends how many lenses you own or have.
I have more than 5 lenses and I have jobs booked throughout the year.
most professionals I know and are the good ones around actually have more than 4-5 lenses
its pretty shallow to judge whether the person is a lens collector/pro or just pro by just how many lenses he/she own... :nono: :thumbsd: :sweat: (4-5 lenses = most professional) then (6-7 lenses = minority professional?) :confused:

just a foot-of-thought to share with everyone before i leave this thread.

(*Gong) if you wanna be a sifu...dun be a gearhead lens collector...and if you wanna be a professional...dun own more than 5 lenses...if you just wanna act pro...simply just scrutinize over anything and everything in CS.

This is interesting....

why can't a professional own lots of lenses? got cut-off value one meh? professional photographers cannot be lens collector as well?

there is no correlation between amount of lenses and being pro or not. its not even something to determine one is pro or not. 1 lens or 50 lens or 1000 lens, as long as know how to use them to produce impressive pictures, that's a pro.

Happy Chinese "Niu" Year!

Status
Not open for further replies.