Nikon D90. i need help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another misconception.....

f/1.2~2.8 are FAST LENS!!!! They allow more light into the sensor therefore you get to focus and shoot faster... Nowadays with a D3.. Just Crank up the ISO.

Bokeh are nice because...

1. Photographer understands the subject in relation to the background

2. 9 diaphragm blades and rounded diaphragm blades gives more circular 'bokeh area'

You don't need a 1.8 or 1.4 to 'create Bokeh'. Lots of people use that to take female portaits and children as it gives a sweet spot/ out of focus or soft touch to the picture.

PLEASE READ UP AND SHOOT MORE....

I can get NICE BOKEH at f8 even. See attached picture shot at f/4.5 105mm

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/25/Bokeh#1

Cheers!
u might be right, but its a different story when ur subject is much larger than the piece of plastic:dunno: or when the the distance from subject to background is limited indoor... etc

Totally agree with you.

I get 'piss off' recently by a lot of newbie coming to me telling me that they wanted to buy f1.4 because it 'creates' a 'better bokeh' than the f/1.8. A lot of wrong use of terms and failure to understand focal length in relation to depth of field.

Yup, put your subject close to a wall or a single colour background, WHAT BOKEH! Just off focus soft pictures.

Classic buy buy buy the best but not focused on creating good pictures.

Haiz. Got a little worked up.!

Cheers!

PLEASE READ UP AND SHOOT MORE....

I can get NICE BOKEH at f8 even. See attached picture shot at f/4.5 105mm

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/25/Bokeh#1

Bro, no offence at all, but that is absolutely not nice bokeh. Bokeh is more of the quality of the OOF blur. F8 nice bokeh from a lens....you refering to shooting shooting small insects or a 0.3 carat diamond?

You want really best bokeh in the Nikon / Canon arena, try something like a 200 1.8L, 85 1.2, 135 or 105/2 etc.

I still remember about 4 years ago somebody called xl1 (not sure if he is still here) shooting with the 200/1.8 at the fashion shows, utterly beautiful stuff, background is not only creamy but truly melts away. Can't find the stuff now though.

Oh yeah the 500 & 600/4 gets you pretty good bokeh too for wildlife, close-up shots in sports.

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with you. focal length is put in perspective here.
I ever tried a 200mm f1.8 on a Canon... heard they don't make that anymore.

Fantastic out of focus to the background. The lens is superb for sports! Macro lens naturally gives bokeh due to their construction and focal length.

Not offended.

Whatever DOF that emphasizes the subject wins. I use that picture to illustrate that you don't need f1.8, f1.4 to create bokeh. Bokeh just means out of focus.

Like to hear your view on the bokeh of this pictures. All done using the Nikkor 28~105mm f/3.5~4.5

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/6/A_Wedding_To_Remember_2#1

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/6/A_Wedding_To_Remember_2#23

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/6/A_Wedding_To_Remember_2#29

Cheers. :-}

Last edited:
Absolutely agree with you. focal length is put in perspective here.
I ever tried a 200mm f1.8 on a Canon... heard they don't make that anymore.

Fantastic out of focus to the background. The lens is superb for sports! Macro lens naturally gives bokeh due to their construction and focal length.

Not offended.

Whatever DOF that emphasizes the subject wins. I use that picture to illustrate that you don't need f1.8, f1.4 to create bokeh. Bokeh just means out of focus.

Like to hear your view on the bokeh of this pictures. All done using the Nikkor 28~105mm f/3.5~4.5

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/6/A_Wedding_To_Remember_2#1

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/6/A_Wedding_To_Remember_2#23

http://nghofei.multiply.com/photos/album/6/A_Wedding_To_Remember_2#29

Cheers. :-}

Erh..... The bokeh is not good enough... :sweat:

just my point of view.

Hi all,

I getting a Nikon D90 in this few days. so i have some questions, can u guys help me out before i buy it.
Now i'm in taiwan for holidays, i need to know the updated price in singapore. If here is cheap, then i will get from taiwan instead.

Q1. Price for Nikon D90 kit wif 18-105mm

Q2. Price for Nikon D90 wif Nikkor 18-200mm

Q3. I went to few shop in taiwan, i saw the Nikkor 18-200mm lens with (made in thailand) on it. can i still find those (made in japan)?
are there any diff between them?

Please help me with all these questions.
many thanks

I think all the recent discussions are getting off topic. Alpinestars is asking for specific help on the above issues.

Alpinestars, if you are still in Taiwan, just buy whatever lenses you want and buy the body in Singapore. I travel every monthly to Taipei and know the prices inside out. DSLR bodies cost generally about the same in Taipei and Singapore but lenses in particular Nikkors cost considerably lower in Taipei and yet come with a full one-year international warranty. Filters are also considerably cheaper and not to mention CF and SD cards, in particular Sandisk. If you find it more convenient, you may also buy the body in Taipei but for about the same price, you might as well get it in Singapore because Nikon only offers local warranty for the body. Anyway, I bought my first DLSR, a Nikon D80, in Taipei and it has never given me any problem.

Strangely, PnS cameras somehow cost more and so do camera bags in general.

Haha....sorry to the thread starter for super OOT (i noticed that recently the moderation is much tighter than years ago). Anyway some help first, believe Max Photo Centrepoint has some D90 kits left. 176 Orchard Rd #03-10 Centrepoint Singapore 238843

Give them a call, cash should get < $1670.
Tel : 6733 3848

You do give up the warranty if you get in Taiwan though, but then lately the stocks in SG is very low. No BO, only 18-105 kits (even that is pretty low...eg AP, Lords, most Max Photo all no more).

---------------------------------
Andrew, I know what you mean, a couple years ago I ever shot 500mm at f6.3 from a sigma 50-500, was at F1 powerboat and was trying the lens at some Jap tourists head-only shots and as you know the background is quite far away (ie SG Merlion area). The blur is there alright, but not really super creamy as those lenses which i mentioned. Again I emphasize it is the quality of the blur, more of an art than something that's technical due to focal length/subject + BG distance.

Ok, since you brought up BG lighting highlights type of blur + weddings...
This is shot with a N85/1.8, not the best bokeh but I believe its passable as decent bokeh. If its 1.4 copy then the walls of the church would even be creamier even though its not much blurrier. The PGs charging much higher would aim for the 1.4 or those in the C camp goes for the 1.2 even....their pricing structure demands that for the last drop of excellence (even though most customers prob can't discern, its more of the PG than the bokeh anyway LOL).
LINK

Really wish to invest in the super lenses, but alas have other commitments.

You can search for the 135 f2 samples...i think there are more ard on the net.

Edit : My bad, the way we use the term probably confuses more (bad bokeh, good bokeh, pleasing bokeh). Bokeh actually refers to the *appearance* of the shallow DOF/blurred background. A mere shallow DOF does not directly refer to the term bokeh.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

Last edited:
Haha....sorry to the thread starter for super OOT (i noticed that recently the moderation is much tighter than years ago). Anyway some help first, believe Max Photo Centrepoint has some D90 kits left. 176 Orchard Rd #03-10 Centrepoint Singapore 238843

Give them a call, cash should get < $1670.
Tel : 6733 3848

No more already just checked.

No more already just checked.
Siao liao, the other guy I just recommended in another thread prob also no more.

I think could be nearly 100% out of stock, less those selling > $1680 or so. I just got mine at 1.65 last Friday. BO confirm OOS.

Siao liao, the other guy I just recommended in another thread prob also no more.

I think could be nearly 100% out of stock, less those selling > $1680 or so. I just got mine at 1.65 last Friday. BO confirm OOS.

Is the stock for D90 is too low or is just getting too hot for D90?
hmmm...

D300 sure have right?
u guys know the price of tat?
as i will be back in sg in 22nd Dec. i really need a dslr fast. if i cant get a D90, then i will get D300 instead.

I think all the recent discussions are getting off topic. Alpinestars is asking for specific help on the above issues.

Alpinestars, if you are still in Taiwan, just buy whatever lenses you want and buy the body in Singapore. I travel every monthly to Taipei and know the prices inside out. DSLR bodies cost generally about the same in Taipei and Singapore but lenses in particular Nikkors cost considerably lower in Taipei and yet come with a full one-year international warranty. Filters are also considerably cheaper and not to mention CF and SD cards, in particular Sandisk. If you find it more convenient, you may also buy the body in Taipei but for about the same price, you might as well get it in Singapore because Nikon only offers local warranty for the body. Anyway, I bought my first DLSR, a Nikon D80, in Taipei and it has never given me any problem.

Strangely, PnS cameras somehow cost more and so do camera bags in general.[/QUOTE]

i noticed tat too. camera bags will way too ex in taiwan.

D90/D80 are the bread-n-butter dSLRs for Nikon. Demand was/is/will be there. Coupled with supply issues from the Thai factory, no wonder there is a break in the units available for sale.

Look at B&S, any D90 is grabbed up within hours, even 2nd hand units are sold like 95-98% of new price with overwhelming response.

D300 BO is ~ 2k from the stores.

there probably still stock around the less recommended shop, its just about the price. :devil:

there probably still stock around the less recommended shop, its just about the price. :devil:

Thought of getting one. Nikon keeps advertising it so I thought it would be easy to get one. Didn't know that it is such a hot item since its recession time. If anyone finds out where to get one, please let me know. Thanks.

Didn't know that it is such a hot item since its recession time.

Yeah, noticed this too. Guess when one derives immense pleasure from a hobby, naturally he will spend no matter what. Anyway its AWS at least for most, and for some its VWS also what.

Bro, thought I shared this with you.

I've just accompanied my friend to Lord's yesterday evening. Originally intended to get a Canon 50D as she's selling her 400D.

Cut the story short, after comparing 50D, D300 and D90 (which is the last piece I'm told), she decided to get the D90 with 18-200 lens. Cost her $2380. ;)

Hope this info helps you.

Tats interesting, i bot my sb600 yest evening at LORDS and i asked abt d90kit price n uncle said out of stock. Hmmm maybe yours is a D90 body alone got stock?

Yeah, noticed this too. Guess when one derives immense pleasure from a hobby, naturally he will spend no matter what. Anyway its AWS at least for most, and for some its VWS also what.

When still have money must BBB first.. if kena axed, at least can make the hobby a source of income until find a real job. Now not many companies are hiring and some are even axing... :sweat:

Strangely, PnS cameras somehow cost more and so do camera bags in general.

ok. I decided to get a Nikon D90 with 18-200mm VR.
David - u were saying the filter is cheaper in taiwan. should i get 1 filter instead? so wad u recommend for D90 with 18-200mm.

Or anyone can help me on this?

ok. I decided to get a Nikon D90 with 18-200mm VR.
David - u were saying the filter is cheaper in taiwan. should i get 1 filter instead? so wad u recommend for D90 with 18-200mm.

Or anyone can help me on this?

Nikon NC 72mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.