Nikon D800+ 300mm f2.8 + TC1.7

Adrian

May 19, 2004
West
Hi Guys,

I have this setup Nikon D800+ Nikon 300mm f2.8Vr2 + TC1.7. When i look through the viewfinder the image was dark and the camera was not able to focus.
The aperture was "stuck" at f4.8. Without the TC, the camera and the lens works perfectly. I have used this setup before, first time encountered this issue. Any idea what is wrong?

Adrian

Hi Guys,

I have this setup Nikon D800+ Nikon 300mm f2.8Vr2 + TC1.7. When i look through the viewfinder the image was dark and the camera was not able to focus.
The aperture was "stuck" at f4.8. Without the TC, the camera and the lens works perfectly. I have used this setup before, first time encountered this issue. Any idea what is wrong?

Adrian

Which TC are you using?

Does your TC-17 work with other lens? like the 70-200mm (if you have one)

It looks like either side of your TC-17 coupling that couples to trigger the aperture is not working that is why it appears "stuck". You may want to check the mechanical mechanism. Else, it would likely be electronic related.

Why not bring it down to Nikon to have a look?

Hi Guys,

Adrian

Does your TC-17 work with other lens? like the 70-200mm (if you have one)

It looks like either side of your TC-17 coupling that couples to trigger the aperture is not working that is why it appears "stuck". You may want to check the mechanical mechanism. Else, it would likely be electronic related.

Why not bring it down to Nikon to have a look?

Hi Luminare,

I have tested with my D300 with the above setup...works perfectly..Not sure what went wrong.

Hi Daredevil123,

I'm using Nikon TC 1.7

ver 2 I presume. First thing is to check the angle of the aperture level on the TC. see if it is bent. Next try to clean the contacts. See if these help.

ver 2 I presume. First thing is to check the angle of the aperture level on the TC. see if it is bent. Next try to clean the contacts. See if these help.

Yes ver2. No joy. Looks like i got to send it down to Nikon for checks. The funny thing is with my D300, it can focus. Strange

Yes ver2. No joy. Looks like i got to send it down to Nikon for checks. The funny thing is with my D300, it can focus. Strange

check the aperture lever tab on your D800 bro. Make sure it is not bent... if bent it might not catch the lever on the TC.

Last edited:
check the aperture lever tab on your D800 bro. Make sure it is not bent... if bent it might not catch the lever on the TC.

BTW, did you ever try to mount the TC on the body first then the lens?

How does the index level tab looks like?