nikon d80 made in thailand

Status
Not open for further replies.
jnet6 said:
Ya lo...
Thailand or japan...
maybe they should go to Nikon Japan as ask them to made 1pcs for them if they don't mind the price. :)
Maybe demand too high, they no choice got to open up the Japan line?

Can you please stop OTing in the Nikon SubForum to Chiong Post Count??? If you got nothing constructive to say, keep mum! ;(

jnet6 said:
Since D70 has launch it was already Made in Thailand...
so there should not be much of problems, else it will not become the best selling camera. :)

POINT TAKEN. That's why I bought it. Have already heard some good feedbacks about D70s since its release. I was just a little shaken initially from that dead/hot pixel incident, which thankfully turned out well for me (changed a new camera & lens, and also learnt about this dead pixel thing! (thought this was only a problem in To***** laptops.)).
Was just wondering if it was MIJ, will there be any chance of a dead pixel.....but I guess one cannot ignore Murphy's law.

As a owner of a new (and my first) DSLR, questions and queries are inevitable. E.g. the possible risks of using generic batteries....guess I better post this on a new thread later...

redipsvu said:
POINT TAKEN. That's why I bought it. Have already heard some good feedbacks about D70s since its release. I was just a little shaken initially from that dead/hot pixel incident, which thankfully turned out well for me (changed a new camera & lens, and also learnt about this dead pixel thing! (thought this was only a problem in To***** laptops.)).
Was just wondering if it was MIJ, will there be any chance of a dead pixel.....but I guess one cannot ignore Murphy's law.

As a owner of a new (and my first) DSLR, questions and queries are inevitable. E.g. the possible risks of using generic batteries....guess I better post this on a new thread later...
:thumbsup: that you sorted it all out. We are here to share what we know and to give our feedback based on experiences. I'm sure even if it's MIJ, something might still go wrong one, like you said, Murphy's Law.

On another note, dun need to start another thread. the 3rd party battery issus has been debated before and the outcome will still be to use originals. Savings aren't too big or something to shout out about, comparing risking your new camera, it's just not worth it. ;)

redipsvu said:

Avoid 3rd party batteries.

It has been used as a selling point by the salesman at the canon booth in comex, in a comparison that some other cameras are made in thailand, some in philipines, but canon is made in japan.

overdodo said:
It has been used as a selling point by the salesman at the canon booth in comex, in a comparison that some other cameras are made in thailand, some in philipines, but canon is made in japan.
wa..

hehehe
made in japan still.... hehehe:bsmilie:

anyway, the camera is only as good as the user. doesn't matter which brand... but comfort and convenience to the user is of utmost importance. :thumbsup:

Cheesecake said:
wa..

hehehe
made in japan still.... hehehe:bsmilie:

anyway, the camera is only as good as the user. doesn't matter which brand... but comfort and convenience to the user is of utmost importance. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup: put!
:D

ipin said:
:thumbsup: that you sorted it all out. We are here to share what we know and to give our feedback based on experiences. I'm sure even if it's MIJ, something might still go wrong one, like you said, Murphy's Law.

On another note, dun need to start another thread. the 3rd party battery issus has been debated before and the outcome will still be to use originals. Savings aren't too big or something to shout out about, comparing risking your new camera, it's just not worth it. ;)

Opps, started a thread already yesterday. Anyway, will stick to originals, as there is the issue of (possible voiding of) warranty as well.

socksiong said:
hi,

i noticed the new d80's body is made in thailand. will there be any performance diff if the body is made in japan or thailand?

thanx

made in thailand means new factory (start from D70), advanced equipment, initially may have some process issue for new factory since it is quite normal to semiconductory and IT industry.

as working in the world no.1 semiconductor equipment supplier for few years.
now the equipments are all old in SG and Malaysia, like ST and Tech they even use equipments more than 15 or 20 years ago with B/W small TV. new equipments are always sent to china, philippines, korea and thailand.

a factory won't change the equipments so easily even if they know they are more advanced, since it will involve cost, operation issues, they are looking for stable and high yield.
heard one saleman promote canon during the IT show said, nikon all made in thailand, canon all made in malaysia, if he know this manufactory but not equipment sales industry, actually he is helping to promote nikon.
now the PCB board, CCD gold wire, Molding are all done by equipments but not human.

Little_Zeus said:
made in thailand means new factory (start from D70), advanced equipment, initially may have some process issue for new factory since it is quite normal to semiconductory and IT industry.

as working in the world no.1 semiconductor equipment supplier for few years.
now the equipments are all old in SG and Malaysia, like ST and Tech they even use equipments more than 15 or 20 years ago with B/W small TV. new equipments are always sent to china, philippines, korea and thailand.

a factory won't change the equipments so easily even if they know they are more advanced, since it will involve cost, operation issues, they are looking for stable and high yield.
heard one saleman promote canon during the IT show said, nikon all made in thailand, canon all made in malaysia, if he know this manufactory but not equipment sales industry, actually he is helping to promote nikon.
now the PCB board, CCD gold wire, Molding are all done by equipments but not human.

I can recall 'branded' products previously being made in US (e.gs. Nike, Timberland shoes/bags, Yahama guitars, etc); but now made in other countries, then the 'quality' changed (but price didn't)....

Nonetheless, as long as the quality of Nikon products are not compromised, then I am fine with MIT or wherever. A :thumbsup: company is one that is true to its words (of delivering quality products).

redipsvu said:
Interesting. I bought mine from Comex on Thursday, noticed that camera body is MIT, while lens is MIJ. Then I had the shitty hot pixel problem, brought it back to Comex on Sunday (what a crowd!), and I checked the replacement set again. Still the same: body is MIT, lens is MIJ.

Always thought that the camera body is MIJ.....
Any idea who manufactures the CCDs? Sony?

Btw how did you find out there is a hot pixel problem? Was it very obvious? ;p

redipsvu said:
I can recall 'branded' products previously being made in US (e.gs. Nike, Timberland shoes/bags, Yahama guitars, etc); but now made in other countries, then the 'quality' changed (but price didn't)....

Nonetheless, as long as the quality of Nikon products are not compromised, then I am fine with MIT or wherever. A :thumbsup: company is one that is true to its words (of delivering quality products).

for those "traditional" industry, the production is still much rely on the operators. even the filters and lens are also considered as the traditional industry, since the QA has been done buy the equipment and the human again like B+W and most of the lens manufactories, just like we go to the optical shop to buy glasses.
but for digital device, human cannot do as good as machine. so the final quality is more rely on the machine rather than the operator.

Little_Zeus said:
for those "traditional" industry, the production is still much rely on the operators. even the filters and lens are also considered as the traditional industry, since the QA has been done buy the equipment and the human again like B+W and most of the lens manufactories, just like we go to the optical shop to buy glasses.
but for digital device, human cannot do as good as machine. so the final quality is more rely on the machine rather than the operator.
I reckon machines reduce the inconsistancies that human can impart, resulting in a more reliable product, may it be electrical or mechanical. :)

Benng said:

It was really pure luck (or bad luck?). Was taking pictures of my rabbit in my room (shutterspeed is 1/3s, fine, ISO 500, aperture can't remember but is the smallest digit that i can set; sorry I am still :thumbsd: at camera lingos!). Room lighting no good, so have to take at higher ISO and a longer shutter. Was purely 'playing' with the camera. Then I uploaded the photos onto my laptop. Happened that in the backgound there was a dark region....then I noticed this strange whitish spot. I zoomed in using Microsoft Office Picture Manager. Zoom in and, then it struck me. Dead pixel! Thought it might be dust, but how can dust be so symmetrical? At the pixel level, it looks like one white square, with the surrounding squares (12, 3, 6, 9 o'clock) looking slighting less whitish. You can say it looks like a little star. Then I checked on a couple of pictures I first took just hours after buying the camera. True enough, the white spot was there! Damm. Read the forum, heard that it may be a hot pixel. tried changing the settings, and interesting enough, the whitish part disappeared only when shutterspeed was shorter than 1/3s. Think setting to normal or less, I did not see the pixel. So based on this, I figured it was a hot pixel. BTW, how to post pictures on the forum? Maybe I try to do that later?

Benng said:

I uploaded the pics onto yahoo photowebsite. http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/matlim/album?.dir=/cb04scd

2 pics. The original, and the really closed up look of the hot pixel. If you can't see this on the first pic, it is actually right on the tip of my rabbit's nose (it showed up as a bright white speck on my computer's 14.1 inch screen). Good thing is that, though this pixel is really, really small, it still shows up on the display (a tiny small speck) of the D70s during preview (after zooming in to the max).

Have to thank my lucky bunny for this!

Though it's only 1 dead pixel, I cannot help but feel 'shitty'. Lucky replacement ("must be within 7 days") got no dead pixels yet. BTW, is CCD hot/dead pixels on a BRAND NEW CAMERA usual?

Hey, how do I get the images to appear? Can't seem to do it....has it got to do with the nature of the photo gallery?

Status
Not open for further replies.