Nikon D5000, D90 and canon 500d

Status
Not open for further replies.

niunai

Jul 28, 2008
hello,

first of all may i know if i am newbie who is interested in landscape and architecture photography, is there any specific camera body i should consider? i think the main concern is the lens right?

i have read up quite alot of threads on comparing d90 and d5000. i think i will choose d90 since its has AF, this will allow me to save more money on lens since i am buidling photography as my hobby. of course d90 has more function too. 1 of the main reasons is that i have big hands, d90 body seem to be more suitable for me. Is my reasoning wrong? please correct me. But one thing bothering about me is that d90 is a mid range dslr, while d5000 is entry level dslr, i fear that i would miss out alot of basics techniques if i jumped to d90 immediately. please advise. Thanks

Another camera i have in mind is canon 500d, which have AF too, i have their specification comparison but i do not notice any very big difference (maybe i too newbie to know). the following website is the technical comparison. http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/com...byside&cameras=nikon_d5000,nikon_d90&show=all
may i know which camera should i get? as they have quite a huge gap in price...

imo, d5000 has a swivel LCD which is very useful in composing difficult angle in architecture photography... eg.. when you trying to shoot orchard central from its entrance.. you will need to go really low on the floor.

may i know which camera should i get? as they have quite a huge gap in price...

You are probably the 2000th person who has asked this question. Congrats! :p

Please lah, WEcannot tell you what body to et because YOU will be using it. YOU need to ge test the cameras for yourself. YOU need to decide if you want Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc.

It's for YOU to use and needs to fit YOUR hands, not ours. Canon people will say buy canon, nikon people will say buy nikon, so NO POINT asking.

Go try them in the shops for yourself!

You are probably the 2000th person who has asked this question. Congrats! :p

Please lah, WEcannot tell you what body to et because YOU will be using it. YOU need to ge test the cameras for yourself. YOU need to decide if you want Nikon, Canon, Sony, Pentax, Olympus, etc.

It's for YOU to use and needs to fit YOUR hands, not ours. Canon people will say buy canon, nikon people will say buy nikon, so NO POINT asking.

Go try them in the shops for yourself!

i think i am the 1st person in year 2010 to ask! haha thanks for your opinion. i have tried d5000 d90 but not canon 500d. i think i am more suitable for bigger cameras... i just wanna to gather more opinions and info that i might have oversee so i wont make a decision that i will regret. =)

imo, d5000 has a swivel LCD which is very useful in composing difficult angle in architecture photography... eg.. when you trying to shoot orchard central from its entrance.. you will need to go really low on the floor.

hey thanks alot. i dint take that into my purchasing consideration. =) will go and try d5000 again...

dont understand why u would miss out basic techniques if you choose D90.

Anyway D90 is a legendary camera! Go get it

I'm a Nikon user but i suggest canon due to the "nice" shutter sound but still i like nikon's shortcut buttons all over the camera which is convenient to me. Narrow down ur choice to 2 camera and try out which is easier to make decision. i'm bias over a D90 which is so called legendary by CS'er. Anyway Happy New year and enjoy ur new purchase for 2010

oh ya do check the price here before purchasing as there is alot of chopper around. dont rush

Well, there are other brands such as Panasonic, Olympus, Pentax and Sony. Do give them a try too ;)

Anyway, back to the topic, don't worry, you won't be missing out one bit, at the very least, you'll have to use it in Auto mode initially, then learn to use the PSAM modes from there on; My camera knowledge 'matured' exactly that way!

And OMGOSH IT'S the 500D vs D90 comparism, yet again! Do a google search, and you'll find your answers there! (loads of user comments there haha)

Regards,
gibss.

Personally I feel that if you have big hands, 500D might not be good choice as it is much smaller.

But like some have mentioned earlier, go and "feel" the cameras and decide for yourself which is more comfortable for you.

If you are comparing D90 and 500D, I would get the D90. and the D90 isn't a mid-range body, it's a high end entry-level body. The mid-range from Nikon is the D300s for now. And the 500D is smaller than the D90. I would choose the D90 as it has one more screen on top to show all the settings and it has two control dials which is more convenient.

but do take in mind that the D5000's articulating screen can only be pulled down. So I don't think it would solve the problem of taking architecture photography since you need a screen that can be pulled up. Like those from Sony.

dont understand why u would miss out basic techniques if you choose D90.

Anyway D90 is a legendary camera! Go get it

the reason behind is that many pro suggest that newbie should get entry level cameras and start learning photography from scratch. eg.. manual focusing. however, over at this thread, many CS'ers thought otherwise, so i guess i will narrow down to 500d and d90..

oh ya do check the price here before purchasing as there is alot of chopper around. dont rush

yeap... i know there are many shops who like to chop cabbage head like me.. so i think i will just choose a reputable shop suggested in the forum, even though the price might not be very competitive, at least it is reputable and after consumer service should be up to certain standard. i was considering alan photo and john 3:16

If you are comparing D90 and 500D, I would get the D90. and the D90 isn't a mid-range body, it's a high end entry-level body. The mid-range from Nikon is the D300s for now. And the 500D is smaller than the D90. I would choose the D90 as it has one more screen on top to show all the settings and it has two control dials which is more convenient.

but do take in mind that the D5000's articulating screen can only be pulled down. So I don't think it would solve the problem of taking architecture photography since you need a screen that can be pulled up. Like those from Sony.

D300s is definitely out of my budget. cos i m a student, i work part time to buy camera. LOL the other reason i was considering was that many of my friends own 500d. so maybe we can share lens. its like many many considerations and i end up being very confuse. LOL

I'd suggest that if you're going into photography in the long term, it'd be better to get a better body. The same thing happened to me, I thought I'd try out photography, so I bought the D60, but then I realised that I really love photography, and that the D60 is quite limiting, so I bought the D80 afterwards.

Oh and I'm a interior design student so I take lots of interior shots too. Sometimes interiors have very low lighting, and thus it'd be good to have a body that has good high ISO performance. The D90 scores in this one.

Damn, makes me feel like selling my D80 and getting a D90...

Broaden your look to brands like Pentax, Sony, Olympus and you can see that other brands are offering very good value for the money.

Since your friend is already using a Canon, makes sense if you use the same system as his to be able to share lenses.

If that is a strong attractor for buying a camera, then I suggest the 500D. Else, you want to start from scratch, consider the D90, if your hands are big enough for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.