Nikon D40 or Canon 400D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tarakor,

Canon 400D is about $1400, Nikon D40 is about $950.

In future, dun just pop in and ask how much is a camera lah, ask the shops instead.

Its not difficult to make phone calls, visit the shops, etc.

Thanks Guys for your advises..

Thank you

You won't be able to shoot videos with them.
Well.. Maybe should retract that statememt because there are people who have used DSLRs to make stop motion movies before.

Hi, I'm newbie for DSLR (In fact I don't even started).
I'm looking for a DSLR camera but cannot decide which is suitable for newbie ?
My intention is looking for better pic. quality than normal compact camera (currently using Sony W1 :embrass: :embrass: ).
- for scenery,
- friends and family outing...etc

Need advises
- Can kindly advise what is the market rate for these 2 models ?
- It comes with what standard items ?
- Thing need to take note while using DSLR camera ?

Thank you ;p

Both cameras are good enough for your need. If you cannot decide which one to get, my recommendation is get the one which most of your family or friends have the same brand. Later you can test or borrow their lens :)

hei,

u should go and have a try...i tried the 400d and d40.

the d40 's shoots are dam sharp n clear..the lcd is nice and the view finder is so clear.

400d's lcd is clear and bright too but i am disappointed in the shots taken. looks like of weak and the worst is the viewfinder not so clear.

in slr ,cannot use lcd and shoot...dun u think the view finder is dam important..unless u have a super eyesight. by the way, i have perfect eyesight.

i like canon becos my 1st camera is a powershot a640 but d40 is really value for money. unless u need to print big size pic..6mb is fine for most people i think...

go down and try !!!

The problem with the D40 is that you can only use the autofocus if you use the AF-S or AF-I lenses, which are quite expensive. So you get a kit lens... and if you want a different lens, prepare to shell out a lot of $$$.

Aiya, get Pentax K100D la! http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxk100d/

frontview-001.jpg

agree, but the main point is do you need those features in the 400D? if not why not save the $ for a good lens? the D40 and 400D is about $400 apart (D40 = 900+, 400D = 1300+).

一分钱,一分货:)

I would rather buy a used Canon 300D or a used Nikon D70, than buying Nikon D40. 300D has some better specs : 6.3MP, 7 point autofocus (D40 has only 3), and can use all Canon lens (and other lens with adaptor). For $500 to $700, you can get a used Canon 300D or Nikon D70, and can use the money to buy a good lens.

I would rather buy a used Canon 300D or a used Nikon D70, than buying Nikon D40. 300D has some better specs : 6.3MP, 7 point autofocus (D40 has only 3), and can use all Canon lens (and other lens with adaptor). For $500 to $700, you can get a used Canon 300D or Nikon D70, and can use the money to buy a good lens.
imho, you can't compare a spec using number. AF system != only AF point, but also the speedd/accuracy...etc of what the AF system can offer. Its the same like comparing MP.

my 2c.

Consider the 400D lah, what's so good about Nikon? Go read the threads in the forums all complaining about Nikon liao.

Get Canon.

That's because you're a canon user :nono:

That's because you're a canon user :nono:
That's partially true, but who can deny that Canon's road map has already gone further than what Nikon has done?

What has Nikon been doing? Coming out non-endlessly with smaller useless bodies. The glass range variety is so limited although it covers the range.

Think about it and you'll realise that missing certain ranges like FEs on the 400D, you have more options as a newbie to use the 70-200 f/4, if you can afford slightly better, 70-200 f/2.8 non-IS. If not 70-200 f/2.8 IS.

There's more than just 1 to choose from instead of a limited choice.

Canon and Nikon can have all the beautiful road maps or what have you.

But as long as the buyer feels that the camera he is buying suits his needs and financial considerations, be it 400D or D40, then he would have bought a camera suitable for himself at that point in time.

Which of us, if given a blank cheque can say that we dun want to buy the best caemra there is? The thing is, everyone of us have different requirements when choosing a camera. Just get the camera that makes you feel the most comfortable.

If you only have a budget of $1000 and feel that a 6mp DSLR is all you need since the largest size print-outs that you'll make are A4s, then get the D40 and save up for future purchase of accessories.

Do not buy a camera becos you feel that you are a fan of a certain brand so all other brands are crap and you must buy only from the brand you worship.

Buy a camera without first considering the brand. Choose a camera according to its specs and how it suits your needs. Then if you find that a Nikon suits you, then get it. If its a Canon go for it. If its a Pentax/Sony/Panasonic/Fujifilm and it suits your needs, by all means.

Consider the 400D lah, what's so good about Nikon? Go read the threads in the forums all complaining about Nikon liao.

Get Canon.

The 400D ergonomics irks me, to begin with!
I neber complain about my D80 at all. :what:
My D80 had done well so far.
If only i had more disposable income, i'd get myself some good glasses. :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.