Photo ID No. ISS025-E-009840
(2010-10-28 T 23:35:11Z)

iss025e009858.jpg

Photo ID No. ISS025-E-009858
(2010-10-28 T 23:38:48Z)

iss025e010008.jpg

Photo ID No. ISS025-E-010008
(2010-10-29 T 07:15:34Z)

Captured by one of the International Space Station (ISS) Expedition 25 crew members from the Cupola observation module with a Nikon D3S (NASA camera field value designation: N5) travelling at an average speed of 27,743.8 km/h. Atmospheric skyglow and background stars are clearly visible.

• ISO Speed: 51200
  • Lens Aperture: F/2.8
  • Shutter Speed: 1/4 second

Last edited:
I wanna be an astronaut so i can use D3s!!!
now that's a stupid reason to be an astronaut...

Wonder where I can view larger versions of these images ? :dunno:
How about clicking on the link posted initially beneath each individual photos where It will further lead you to a copy of the full resolution photo. Though camera shake is evident in the images at 100% resolution due to the low shutter speed used, nevertheless they are still rather remarkable IMHO. ;)

It doesn't look like alot of camera shake considering it was taken while travelling at an average speed of 27,743.8 km/h with 1/4 shutter speed -.-. And the last image is quite clear ...

I think a 2 sec exposure is also possible, don't really need D3s to make this possible. Or they could have used a fast f1.2 lens. But its still awesome what the camera can do.

Anyone can educate me which part of the world are the pics showing? I thought i played RISK quite often but cant recognise any of the land shapes..

Can't recognise the other 2, but the 2nd one is North Africa. The lights along the Nile lead up to Egypt and the Nile Delta. You can see the Red Sea on the right, and beyond it, Saudi Arabia.

What strikes me here is how big and empty the Sahara is!

[vid]U54RMrBK9vU[/vid]

Here's what the Cupola observation module looks like.

NASA Earth Observatory said:

Astronaut photograph ISS026-E-6255 was acquired on November 30, 2010, with a Nikon D3S digital camera using an 180 mm lens, and is provided by the ISS Crew Earth Observations experiment and Image Science & Analysis Laboratory, Johnson Space Center. The image was taken by the Expedition 26 crew. The image in this article has been cropped and enhanced to improve contrast. Lens artifacts have been removed. The International Space Station Program supports the laboratory as part of the ISS National Lab to help astronauts take pictures of Earth that will be of the greatest value to scientists and the public, and to make those images freely available on the Internet. Additional images taken by astronauts and cosmonauts can be viewed at the NASA/JSC Gateway to Astronaut Photography of Earth. Caption by William L. Stefanov, NASA-JSC.

Last edited:
D3s is amazing indeed !:thumbsup:

Beautiful...

2nd photo is showing Egypt... Gosh... how I wish I could travel to space in the future >_<

Final flight of the Space Shuttle Endeavour (OV-105) and also first photo of any space shuttle docked to the (now completed) International Space Station (ISS) from the vantage of another spacecraft.

As taken by ISS Expedition 27 'MagISStra', European Space Agency (ESA) Italian astronaut Paolo Angelo Nespoli in the departing Soyuz TMA-20. The Nikon D3x and lenses used was thereafter left behind in the unshielded orbital module (crew are seated in the descent module) of the Soyuz TMA-20 to be burned up during atmospheric re-entry.