Nikon D3100 - is it perfect for beginner level?

I would say yes. If got budget, get something like D90.

Most importantly is to master the basics. Without the fundametal knowledge of how does a DSLR work, you buy Hassalbald also no use.

Compare to d90, I prefer a 5100. Price is almost same.

Anyone knows current street price for d3100 kit?

Challenger funan 2nd floor... $699

Yup. Just spotted it at Challenger too. S$699 with the usual goodies.

Amazing how cheap dSLRs are now. To think I had to blow S$549 on compact digital cameras back in the early 2000s...

strikeback4 said:
Challenger funan 2nd floor... $699

Thanks! I thought I saw in those expo or courts ads at $499...lol...maybe saw wrongly

Blur Shadow said:
Yup. Just spotted it at Challenger too. S$699 with the usual goodies.

Amazing how cheap dSLRs are now. To think I had to blow S$549 on compact digital cameras back in the early 2000s...

Thanks! Yeah...I paid like $1k for the s10 back then...2 or 3MP I think...

Might just get the d3200 as backup if the d3100 is going to cost $699... possible to get d3200 kit at the $800 range since rrp is in the low $1k?

For a D3100, having taken photos with it before, i personally find that it has very limited growth space for a Beginner.

Beginners refering to users who are intending to use the manual settings right at the start of purchase or have photography lessons/outings in the pipeline that will lead them to out live the guide modes / preset modes in a matter of weeks or a few months.

For a few hundred dollars more, i personally feel that the D5100 is a real bargain for a beginner.

I believe the D5100 is selling for about S$949 with certain accessories. (Check the price guide and D5100 user tread for details)