Nikon behind the curve...

Status
Not open for further replies.
the S2 is for serious professionals dude.. probably more suited for portraiture and fashion photograhy. they're trying to battle the hasselblads, the mamiyas, leafs and more. how can you compare it with the DSLR market which has not been successful in that high end part of the market?
and the 1DIII, 1DsIII and D3 aren't?... different horse for different courses... they each have their own uses :)

The 37.5MP Leica S2 DSLR with larger than 35mm CCD -- this has really put Nikon way behind the curve. 12MP is all Nikon has to offer??? it is rapidly looking like yesterday's technology.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092301_leica_s2.asp

We want more and good quality pixels -- it can be done. I think Leica is taking a big gamble but is in the right direction. Medium format DSLRs are incredibly expensive, and Leica appears to offer something more practical, in between. Excellent strategy, IMHO.

when u have the intention to sell off ur "yesterday's technology" cheaply, contact me hor.
i don't mind using yesterday's technology.
6MP also can de. ;)

and if / when Nikon introduces its MX at WPPI 09, Leica will be clobbered. Not the first time this has happened. Nikon F demolishes Leica RF in 60s, sidelines Leica R in 80, and stresses Leica again from 2009 with modular series. Obviously, Leica is masochistic and loves to be clobbered by Nikon

when u have the intention to sell off ur "yesterday's technology" cheaply, contact me hor.
i don't mind using yesterday's technology.
6MP also can de. ;)

i also have interest to sell my 6mp; not that i gian a high MP

but every thing comes at price; you no mention

by the way, i can sell u nikon d50 body only;
SGD$4000/- cash up front (looking to but 5DMKII)
my camera well beaten... can class as condtion 6 (i buy camera to use; not put dry cabinet)

so coming from someone who had been using an S5pro talking abt quality pixels on a 6mp camera.. why the sudden urge/need to talk about 37.5mp? :bsmilie:

I think I appreciate good quality pixels a bit more than the average user? :) To be sure, the high quality pixels of the S5pro delivers an IQ that is very good. This is an advantage of having "only" 6MP of photosites on a DX format (instead of 12 or 15).

That is great, but up to a point. The downside is of course resolution. I like to make tack sharp enlargements and the S5 does not quite cut it. Some may be perfectly happy with 8 or 10MP and that's perfectly fine, of course. But I for one would like to see Nikon providing users with the OPTION of an FX DSLR with more tha 12MP. I find 6-12MP a little restrictive esp when there is a need to crop -- hardly any room at all. As a rule of thumb, if 6MP is not adequate, one needs to have double the horizontal and vertical resolution in order to see a meaningful difference. So, to me, 12MP is a nice stop gap, but not quite there yet.

Given current technology, 12 MP FX will beat 24MP FX as far as noise is concerned -- no doubt about that. But the technology is improving very quickly -- who would have thought Nikon can give us a D3 with noise much lower than the 5D? But, since then, Sony, Canon, and even Leica have moved on. Nikon?

It is not my intention to be hard on Nikon -- they have given us excellent DLSRs lately. But IMO their line-up is incomplete without a high MP FX body.

and if / when Nikon introduces its MX at WPPI 09, Leica will be clobbered. Not the first time this has happened. Nikon F demolishes Leica RF in 60s, sidelines Leica R in 80, and stresses Leica again from 2009 with modular series. Obviously, Leica is masochistic and loves to be clobbered by Nikon

They say Nikon is to Zeiss as Canon to Leica.. So..........

It is not my intention to be hard on Nikon -- they have given us excellent DLSRs lately. But IMO their line-up is incomplete without a high MP FX body.

They didn't give us FX until they solved the CA and vignetting problems with film lenses.. SO now you'll have to wait till they have a lineup of good, up to par optics before they will give us high MP FX. Nikon is "no bells, no whistles, just pure Nikon technology". If they are not there, they will not introduce it. Nikon is perfectionist.

the S2 is for serious professionals dude.. probably more suited for portraiture and fashion photograhy. they're trying to battle the hasselblads, the mamiyas, leafs and more. how can you compare it with the DSLR market which has not been successful in that high end part of the market?
and the 1DIII, 1DsIII and D3 aren't?... different horse for different courses... they each have their own uses :)
exactly what i meant. :)
not exactly... I was saying aren't the 1DIII, 1DsIII and D3 for high end pros as well... the thing about high end pros is that they have diff needs... even "high end" commercial or fashion photogs have instances where a DSLR is much preferred over a medium format back... so the comparison of the S2 (which Leica themselves are making) to 135 format DSLRs is certainly valid :)

They say Nikon is to Zeiss as Canon to Leica.. So..........

Except Zeiss didn't get clobbered. They partnered Hasselblad and Yashica, re-invented and did well.

Leica has 1st mover advantage. Only this days, the advantage lasts only months, not years.

Except Zeiss didn't get clobbered. They partnered Hasselblad and Yashica, re-invented and did well.

Leica has 1st mover advantage. Only this days, the advantage lasts only months, not years.
like I mentioned earlier, Mamiya came along first, announcing in 2004 and having a product in 2006, but a fat load of good that gave them... we'll have to see what they can come up with before any judgment can be made... :)

like I mentioned earlier, Mamiya came along first, announcing in 2004 and having a product in 2006, but a fat load of good that gave them... we'll have to see what they can come up with before any judgment can be made... :)

It's not about having a product.. It's about having a product that can ship.

Well, its either Leica or Nikon getting clobbered, or Leica&Nikon both clobbering Hasselblad ! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: For sure, one guy has to go. At this moment, I'm thinking oh dear, poor Hasselblad. The poor swedish maker is already having financial difficulties. 2 more players in this niche market can surely be the straw that breaks the camel's back. No wonder Zeiss is running to SLR & RF mkt at full speed, making new lenses to recoup lost revenue.

Last edited:
They didn't give us FX until they solved the CA and vignetting problems with film lenses.. SO now you'll have to wait till they have a lineup of good, up to par optics before they will give us high MP FX. Nikon is "no bells, no whistles, just pure Nikon technology". If they are not there, they will not introduce it. Nikon is perfectionist.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

i also have interest to sell my 6mp; not that i gian a high MP

but every thing comes at price; you no mention

by the way, i can sell u nikon d50 body only;
SGD$4000/- cash up front (looking to but 5DMKII)
my camera well beaten... can class as condtion 6 (i buy camera to use; not put dry cabinet)

:bsmilie: made of gold?

With a shift lens and wide angle to go with the S2, it seems like what I've been wanting. A dumped down medium/large with a digital back and easy to carry around. Just wondering about the price...... my guess, in excess of $30k....

It's not about having a product.. It's about having a product that can ship.
well, the ZD has been out for over a year and a half now... still hasn't made much of a presence... don't know how much faster Leica can ship a product from its announcement now, what the pricing would be (expensive or really %#@% expensive), or in the intervening period what other companies would do... ;p

but i see the target market that leica has defined

sort of an in-between segment
That's the market leica told us they are after.. but at that price are they not too close for comfort to medium format? Time will be the best judge.

-- Marios

Well, its either Leica or Nikon getting clobbered, or Leica&Nikon both clobbering Hasselblad ! :bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: For sure, one guy has to go. At this moment, I'm thinking oh dear, poor Hasselblad. The poor swedish maker is already having financial difficulties. 2 more players in this niche market can surely be the straw that breaks the camel's back. No wonder Zeiss is running to SLR & RF mkt at full speed, making new lenses to recoup lost revenue.

I thought Hasselblad = Fuji.. Were they not bought over? thus making you conclusion wrong.. Am I mistaken?

Can't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.