Nikon announces Nikon D800 and D800E 36mp

Sorry but what are the main differences between D800 and D800E? :embrass:

So who should buy with E and who should buy without E? Since with E is more expenisve, I suppose it should be "better". If so, most people will head for "E" since it is just 10% more than without "E"... Sorry if this is a stupid question...

Different is D800 is with Anti-Aliasing and D800E is without Anti-Aliasing

How's the noise in high ISO ? Any pictures....

Read somewhere else that those doing sports, landscape or wildlife shld get the E version since moire effects are less likely to occur in nature as compared to everyday items.

SkimMilk said:
Read somewhere else that those doing sports, landscape or wildlife shld get the E version since moire effects are less likely to occur in nature as compared to everyday items.

Using D800(E) for sports might be a bad idea. The 4fps limitation likely reduces the chances to capture the exact moment. D4, D300s, D700 with grip & D3(s) fits the bill better.

Using D800(E) for sports might be a bad idea. The 4fps limitation likely reduces the chances to capture the exact moment. D4, D300s, D700 with grip & D3(s) fits the bill better.

good point! I totally didn't check the fps. couple this with a slow memory card + the 36MP raw file, that'd be a hell of a nightmare!

[video=youtube;2auo10nbPvQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2auo10nbPvQ&feature=player_embedded[/video]

"Nikon has acknowledged photographers desire for the maximum resolution--even if potentially at the expense of moire issues--by offering two versions of the D800. The standard Nikon D800 includes a low-pass filter appropriate to the camera's resolution, while a more limited-edition Nikon D800E variant replaces the standard low-pass filter, increasing image resolution.

It should be noted that the D800E does still include a low-pass filter, but it functions only on a vertical axis, and its effects are cancelled out by a second low-pass filter layer that reverses the effect. We're currently trying to determine the reason that the low-pass filter layers haven't been removed altogether, but speculate that either it's necessary to retain a low-pass filter in the image path so as not to alter the camera's optical properties, or perhaps that it serves a secondary purpose as an infrared cut filter. Either way, given that its effects are reversed by the secondary layer, it shouldn't reduce sharpness.

We understand that the Nikon D800E will still attempt to detect and remove moire in firmware, and that this will happen before raw processing, meaning that even raw files will potentially have already had moire removed in software. Should moire make it past this filter, however, Nikon will also be providing a color moire correction tool in its Capture NX2 imaging suite."

Nikon D800 / D800E Camera - Hands-On Preview

ZURD800E.jpg

Last edited:
From the little of what I have read and see of the D800/e, i like the sexy curves, SD card ( i hate CF card!), 3.2 inch LCD, video, the quiet mode and 36mp for cropping!

Price looks good too. My guess will be 3.5k. Pretty close to d700 price.

Should I? :)

Xiao_shin said:
Price looks good too. My guess will be 3.5k. Pretty close to d700 price.

Should I? :)

Do you really think it will be just 3.5k here? I have the feeling it might be much more...

Do you really think it will be just 3.5k here? I have the feeling it might be much more...

My guess: S$4199 for the D800, 10% more for the D800E... so around S$4699 - since demand (esp. the D800E) will outstrip supply for quite a while, why would the shops sell cheap?

Last edited:
My guess: S$4199 for the D800, 10% more for the D800E... so around S$4699 - since demand (esp. the D800E) will outstrip supply for quite a while, why would the shops sell cheap?

+1...............

hmmm I was thinking like S$4199 for the "normal" street price... "friendship" price at friendly neighbourhood store could be S$3999, $3998... psychological pricing.... but of course the dream is S$3500 or $3000.... haaa.... years later maybe....