Nikon 70-200 VRI and VRII

highwaystar

Feb 15, 2006
Dear All ,

Intend to get the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lens from BnS.
BUT dun know the differences between VRI and II.
Should I go for the latest version II ???

Need to find out more from you ppl.

Pls advise.

Dear All ,

Intend to get the Nikon 70-200 f2.8 lens from BnS.
BUT dun know the differences between VRI and II.
Should I go for the latest version II ???

Need to find out more from you ppl.

Pls advise.

The VR II is an improvement over the VR I.

1) The VR II is sharper
2) VR II allows up to 4 stops instead of 2 stops with VR I
3) VR II is known to couple much better with Teleconverters

I dont own and never tried a VR I but i do own a VR II and it is a really reliable and beautiful lens like what all the reviews say.

If you would read reviews from the usual review resources, all would recommend a VR II over a VR I.

1) The VR II is sharper

I dont own and never tried a VR I but i do own a VR II and it is a really reliable and beautiful lens like what all the reviews say.

If you would read reviews from the usual review resources, all would recommend a VR II over a VR I.

Thanks for the advise.

Very convincing....heehee
Must buy....

Any weakness ???? Maybe I guess only this one..... high price for NEW lens.

Cheers Bro

Thanks for the advise.

Must buy....

Cheers Bro

Yes, there are weakness in this lens.

This lens has more focus breathing than on the VR I. Meaning when zoomed out at close range, the FOV is larger.

Dear all,

I've been looking around for a pre-owned set.

I've read about many of the good reviews. However, it was also mentioned that the lens is quite heavy.

Not sure if any of our members could share their experience on this.

Cheers,

SL

Not only is the lens heavy at 1.5kg, it is long and not a lens you want to attach to your DSLR body and hang around the neck.

Not only is the lens heavy at 1.5kg, it is long and not a lens you want to attach to your DSLR body and hang around the neck.

Yes.... it long and heavy BUT I am fine with it.
If it's light ... just like a toy and not shiok.

Must have the pro look and weight to justify the value of the lens.

At least it has a tripod collar........ unlike the very old version of 80-200 when there's no collar at all !!!

hahaha

Yes.... it long and heavy BUT I am fine with it.
If it's light ... just like a toy and not shiok.

Must have the pro look and weight to justify the

At least it has a tripod collar........ unlike the very old version of 80-200 when there's no collar at all !!!

hahaha

Depends on how long u need to carry it . I tried a vr1 for day at the zoo ,
It was ok at first , then it gets heavier and heavier .I swop it for a prime
and it stays in my backpack for rest of the day.
On a side note , it's quite a long lens , so some subject find it quite intimidating .

But it's a very good lens , general recommendation over the web is vr1 for Dx
Due to corner sharpnest . Vr2 for Fx .

1) The VR II is sharper

Something missing from the VR-II are the focus stop buttons that are present on the VR-I.

VR-I is also slightly longer than VR-II.

Apart from that is the nano-coating available on VR-II.

As for VR, I've successfully used it up to 3 stops or more, applying proper shooting techniques.

Thanks for the advise.

Must buy....

Cheers Bro

VRII weakness over VRI?
Repair of VRII cost a lot more than the VR1.
For some components of VRII, if faulty, the whole assembly has to be replaced. For VR1, replace only which ever is faulty.

fatigue said:
VRII weakness over VRI?
For some components of VRII, if faulty, the whole assembly has to be replaced. For VR1, replace only which ever is faulty.

Haha! A very interesting perspective that few would consider when buying new. Good stuff!

Haha! A very interesting perspective that few would consider when buying new. Good stuff!

Wow.... tis need serious consideration alright.
Good quote.

Wonder how many VRII owners did sent their lens for servicing ???
hahaha

VRII weakness over VRI?
pro lenses of course need to pay pro garde repair cost, want to use pro lenses than don't complain expensive. lol

You don't see a Ferrari spare parts cost less or even same as a Honda right?

Don't ever think that pro lense won't spoil, expenses lenses come with expenses repairing cost $300++ is cheap, $500++ is normal, $700++ is still ok.

So buy expenses lens in not end of story, be prepare.

catchlights said:
Don't ever think that pro lense won't spoil, expenses lenses come with expenses repairing cost $300++ is cheap, $500++ is normal, $700++ is still ok.

So buy expenses lens in not end of story, be prepare.

Recently bro fatigue sent my 70-200 vr for repairs and the bill amounted to $510 iirc

One more point of consideration is that the VR I is designed for dx sensor, the VR II will be better in the corners for FX.

I have tried both, while the lack of corner sharpness on the VR I doesn't really bother me, the overall iq of the VR II is better. But whether it is worth the price difference, will really be up to you.

CorneliusK said:
One more point of consideration is that the VR I is designed for dx sensor, the VR II will be better in the corners for FX.

Orly? I was under the impression it was designed for film cameras since its image circle covered the 35mm film surface