Nikon 3100

When I was 13, I didn't even have the choice of getting a dslr! XD

If you can't afford it on your own, then don't push yourself to get one.......

Build your creativity and photographic eye first....So please, don't waste your parent's money if you are not serious about photography. Even if you are saving up for the camera yourself, they are still the ones who earned the money.....

I know I sound like a wet blanket but I am really just trying to put things in perspective. =)

You are some sensible young lady & your keen observations are correct. But its really tough nowadays with the instant gratification & rather materialistic culture that predominantly centers more on possessions than passion, equipment first rather than skills first, etc. I think the facts & real life experiences speak for themselves. If photography revolves merely round equipment, then it will NOT last. After the initial thrill, excitement, pride of having great expensive toys wears off, without passion & skills, nothing is left, nothing to sustain the real joy photography brings. This, especially when newer & better toys come up & one loses their bragging rights.

Keep it up in your photographic aspirations & endeavours.... share & enjoy :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

To TS, can check out the "Re: Official D3100 User Thread" http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770994 for feedback by users & some recent posts of pics taken with this cam here http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6846582 :)

Last edited:
I hold the post of Uni darkroom chairman for 3 years. Only one or 2 members asked to used the facilities.

Poly;
In year one, 100-200 joined, quite a few dslrs. about 8 stayed on.
In year two, 200-300 joined, plenty of dslrs. Every lesson we had, we lost about 1/3 of the cohort. By third lesson, only about 30 coming for class. For our first photography outing? Only 1 junior came.=)

I hold the post of Uni darkroom chairman for 3 years. Only one or 2 members asked to used the facilities.

The last time I went to a darkroom was about 20 years ago. Now just on the computer.

i totally agree with u seriously......i beeen taking pictures with my compact camera for bout 2 years baaa.....wan buy dslr last time.....then nvr buy....parents dont allow so i use compact till now.....feeeeeeeeel like how say ar??
u noe like i wan to learn more bout photographing...dslr to improve myself

I only used a cheapo $20 one-focal-length film camera from the age of six to 12.
I still enjoy shooting with a compact camera and usually borrow my mother's S90, or my super old five year old lumix when I go to school as my dslr tends to be heavy to carry around with my laptop.
It is really alright to shoot with a compact!
PnS nowadays are really fantastic.

Honestly, I think you should spend the time studying rather than photography at this point. Haha!
I don't think you should be adding on to your parents burden since their company is in trouble.
Once you get the dslr, you will want "further reach", then you will insist that the kit lens is not good enough, and you need something faster and better, then you will want to add on a new bag cos the free one is too small, so on and so forth.
Where will the money come from?

tankahn, I always wanted to try a darkroom! I bought the slr I begged for when I was 12 last year. Haha! Wish my photography club had a darkroom.

s1221ljc, thanks for the compliments! =) And I assume you saw my other post on upgrading from the D90 to D700? Haha!

Last edited:
you guys are right.....i will reconsider again...