NIKON 18-200mm VR

Status
Not open for further replies.
i am quite amazed that hand holding can be done at 1/4.
without VR my comfort zone is only at least 1/100. sometimes i give and take at 1/80 ( ISO 100 )

Never experimented with my VR lens to see wats my limit of handholding :)
But supposedly a VRII can help from 3 to 4 stops, i dun think i can still manage at 1/4 leh.
But having said that there are some professional photographers claimed to hand hold steadily at 1/8 at 300mm. Good arms you have

Kudos

Ryan

Yes I second that answer. With VR it is really possible to shoot at 1/4s, tried that when I first got my 18-200 VR, was curious to test its limits. Though not tack sharp and getting it blur half the time, decent pictures are still possible at 1/4s.

You probably wanna check if the VR still works, SWM smooth and slient, zoom/manual focus functions smoothly and shots sharp as before. Should be ok I think. There are many many unintentional "drop test" carried out by owners who actually posted on Ken Rockwell's page on the 18-200 VR. Its surprisingly rugged. :)
Thanks bro, tried and tested, seems ok. I am indeed very impressed that this len is really a tough fella, my initial thought was, S$1.3k gone liao!! Baby still working properly. :thumbsup:

But supposedly a VRII can help from 3 to 4 stops, i dun think i can still manage at 1/4 leh.
Ryan

try taking 2FPS at A1/2-6 with or without VR. Sometimes it'll give sharper image on the second frame. It works for me. SOMETIMES ;)
I just got 18-200 VR last month just to beat 7% GST. snap bout 4 images indoors. outdoors have yet to test. :cry:

try taking 2FPS at A1/2-6 with or without VR. Sometimes it'll give sharper image on the second frame. It works for me. SOMETIMES ;)
I just got 18-200 VR last month just to beat 7% GST. snap bout 4 images indoors. outdoors have yet to test. :cry:

Wow really go and get the 18-200mm VR to snap the cute cute one... great! Hope to see more on the photo gallery.;)

ani one here who own the 18-200mm VR know the difference between the normal and the active VR

ani one here who own the 18-200mm VR know the difference between the normal and the active VR

Read the manual. The functions are explained there.

Well. What if he doesn't own the lens?

Hi IONSOON,

See this article on VR by Ken Rockwell. You'll find the difference between normal and active VR there.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200/18200-vr.htm

Btw, you can learn a lot about lenses on Ken Rockwell site. But of course read his comments with a pinch of salt.

i am quite amazed that hand holding can be done at 1/4.
without VR my comfort zone is only at least 1/100. sometimes i give and take at 1/80 ( ISO 100 )

Never experimented with my VR lens to see wats my limit of handholding :)
But having said that there are some professional photographers claimed to hand hold steadily at 1/8 at 300mm. Good arms you have

Kudos

Ryan

on VR i hand held 105mm at 1/4 without motion blur. its possible.

Well. What if he doesn't own the lens?

Hi IONSOON,

See this article on VR by Ken Rockwell. You'll find the difference between normal and active VR there.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/18200/18200-vr.htm

Btw, you can learn a lot about lenses on Ken Rockwell site. But of course read his comments with a pinch of salt.

thanks alot for the link

active VR is when you on boat, on helicopter or in a car and want to take pic...

will this lense gives out sharp image in low light ... say indoors, hand held ?
tot of getting one of tis baby ... thanks

IMO, No point getting this lens for low light indoor shoots, although you will be able to shoot at low shutter speed for good exposed image but you will probably be using it to shoot people and you shld be shooting at at least 1/100 or 1/125 ;)

So get a f2.8 at least. :thumbsup:

Active VR is for panning if I'm not wrong.

Leave it in Normal for panning, once panning is detected, it will not correct for the panning axis and only correct the axis perpendicular to the panning plane.

Leave it in Normal for panning, once panning is detected, it will not correct for the panning axis and only correct the axis perpendicular to the panning plane.

You are right, I just read the manual as well. :D

Actually the serious difference you see in Normal/Active VR mode is the correction behaviour. Like many mentioned that "Active" mode is used when on moving vehicle. Somewhat right for its purpose.

What actually happens when you set VR on Active is to change how aggressively VR detects and compensates for movements. Naturally when more corrective adjustments are made per unit time, more power is consumed. Active mode does not compensate for low frequency movements, it concentrates on the high frequency vibrations instead.

Normal mode compensates for handheld movements (lower frequency movements) better. Toned down as compared to "Active".

On tripod, remember to turn VR off instead. :)

Hope this helps :)

Actually the serious difference you see in Normal/Active VR mode is the correction behaviour. Like many mentioned that "Active" mode is used when on moving vehicle. Somewhat right for its purpose.

What actually happens when you set VR on Active is to change how aggressively VR detects and compensates for movements. Naturally when more corrective adjustments are made per unit time, more power is consumed. Active mode does not compensate for low frequency movements, it concentrates on the high frequency vibrations instead.

Normal mode compensates for handheld movements (lower frequency movements) better. Toned down as compared to "Active".

On tripod, remember to turn VR off instead. :)

Hope this helps :)

wow, din know that in active mode, it actually consume more power.
Actually i am a newbie who own tis lens, just bought it together D80. Hoping the VR will be useful when i taking shot from a bus while travelling overseas.

wow, din know that in active mode, it actually consume more power.
Actually i am a newbie who own tis lens, just bought it together D80. Hoping the VR will be useful when i taking shot from a bus while travelling overseas.

You don't need the Active mode if the bus is travelling on a normal road. I have shot quite a few 'on the bus' shots with the lens when I travelled to Japan last year. Brought only D70s with 18-200VR.

This is shot from the moving coach on the way down from Mt Fuji..
139593198_02bfef0c66_o_d.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.