Nikon 12-24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since everyone's throwing in wide shots, I'll throw one in here just for comparison's sake.

This one's from a Sigma 10-20 at the wide end:

2709792999_32fe0dd287.jpg

As someone has mentioned earlier on, distortion is inherent in most wide angle lenses. Notice the distortion here at the ends as well.

Some sample shots with the Nikon 12-24mm on D300, with the 12-24 one tends to shoot at 12mm, there are some distortion but it is still acceptable for this range.
DSC_0446nx1.jpg

DSC_0449nx1.jpg

I'll join in the fun and throw in 2 wide angle shots... and this is taken with my Tokina 12-24... both taken at 12mm wide.

2731024072_5d9a40f12f.jpg

2750275616_27f5520a6d.jpg

More wide angle fun from me

2780876461_432b13a41b.jpg

Ryan

This is one good thread..

Keep em coming guys, i really love those WA pics.:thumbsup:

Those pictures are great! Keep them coming!

By the way, when you travel overseas, do you primarily put on the Tokina 12-24 or a Tokina16-50? (If given a choice between this 2)

Another question is, comparing Tokina 16-50 and Tamron 17-50, which one is a better buy? I googled and got many reviews saying the CA on Tokina is bad. I asked a leading photographer in SG and he said the Tokina's built is way better, the CA though is a concern, but when printing on small prints like 4R is negligible.

Your comments please...

Those pictures are great! Keep them coming!

By the way, when you travel overseas, do you primarily put on the Tokina 12-24 or a Tokina16-50? (If given a choice between this 2)

Another question is, comparing Tokina 16-50 and Tamron 17-50, which one is a better buy? I googled and got many reviews saying the CA on Tokina is bad. I asked a leading photographer in SG and he said the Tokina's built is way better, the CA though is a concern, but when printing on small prints like 4R is negligible.

Your comments please...

I'll answer for 99.9% of the people here on CS, as this has been discussed numerous times: Get the Tamron.

I'll answer for 99.9% of the people here on CS, as this has been discussed numerous times: Get the Tamron.

I 2nd that... get the Tamron 17-50. If there is only 1 lens I can take mounted on my camera for an overseas trip... it would be my Tamron 17-50. That is what I did for a HK trip earlier this year, wanted to travel as light as possible, and took only one lens.

I 2nd that... get the Tamron 17-50. If there is only 1 lens I can take mounted on my camera for an overseas trip... it would be my Tamron 17-50. That is what I did for a HK trip earlier this year, wanted to travel as light as possible, and took only one lens.

I 2nd that as well. Tammy 17-50 :thumbsup:

Final...

If choosing between Tokina and Tamron. Get the Tamron 17-50mm.

I will be flying off to Jakarta tmrw. I will only take my D200, SB-800 + 12-24 and Tamron's 17-50 plus all my filters.

What I will leave behind (from my Taipei trip's experience) :
- MB-200
- 18-200
- 70-200
- 190XProB+488RC4

When I enter dark buildings, temples or museums, the 17-50 will be the main lens to use :)

Thanks!

You guys have been great!

Sorry chngpe about the slight drift in topic. Anyway, can you guys PM me a link to see a Tokina 12-24 pic (normal 4r size)? I would like to see how the CA is. Understand we cant post here, so drop me a PM.

Thanks again!

Thanks!

You guys have been great!

Sorry chngpe about the slight drift in topic. Anyway, can you guys PM me a link to see a Tokina 12-24 pic (normal 4r size)? I would like to see how the CA is. Understand we cant post here, so drop me a PM.

Thanks again!
not obvious from my pretty intensive usage of about 2years... nothing to worry about unless you printing poster, i bet my nikkor 80-200 is worse

Status
Not open for further replies.