Night Macro, what went wrong with my setup?

ancientmoon

Jun 15, 2011
Hi,

I went on my first night macro photography recently. I realised that I have to add 1 full stop to my exposure in order to get my object in correct exposure. Can anyone out there help to advise what went wrong? My equipments are as follow:

Nikon D7000
Nikkor 200mm F4 micro
Nissin Di866 (firmware ver. 4 for Nikon)

Flash was mounted on the hotshoe and set to TTL mode. Camera set to ISO400, F16 at Aperature Priority mode. Due to Minimum Focus Distance, my object is about 1.5m away. And I realised that when I set my exposure compensation to +1 on the flash, I don't see it shown in the information after the picture was taken? However, when I set the exposure compensation on the camera, it showed +1 on both camera and flash. Is this correct?

I really appreciate if anyone can help me out with this. Thanks.

Regards,
ancientmoon

1) There is macro section here for a reason. Reading through the stickies will give you loads of information and maybe it will also give you pointers to solve your question.
2) I think you refer to Flash Exposure Compensation. A flash will not allow to set exposure compensation.
3) Settings on the flash will not be reported to the camera and therefore not captured in exif data (could be different with Nikon flash). Camera settings affecting the flash will always be recorded in exif.