Nex5 Verus Nex3

happibeebee

Dec 5, 2010
Central
:D Just a simple question. What is the main difference between Nex 5 & Nex 3 other than the casing material?

Sorry I am very new to photography. Yet to buy my own DSLR :embrass:

:D Just a simple question. What is the main difference between Nex 5 & Nex 3 other than the casing material?

Sorry I am very new to photography. Yet to buy my own DSLR :embrass:

The grip is different. NEX-5 have a better grip

NEX-5 also have AVCHD support

Also the provided flash sits better on Nex5 than on Nex3.

Nex5 have remote control capability while Nex3 don't.

But a good point of Nex3 is that it has a better base for mounting tripod.

The NEX5 is targetted as the premium model while the NEX3 was meant to be the entry model. The main differences is the body chassis which is magnesuim alloy for NEX5 and Plastic for NEX3. Because of the magnesium, the casing for the NEX5 can be made smaller. About the only other difference worth mentioning is the NEX5 support full HD (1080p) while the NEX3 only support HD (720p).
Some like that the grip on the NEX5 is better. But if I had to purchase it all over again, I would have taken the NEX3 because its the same performance but around $200 cheaper! :)

to me... the NEX5:

1) more durable due to the magnesium alloy casing
2) grip is definitely better if you've got large hands
3) the flash is definitely easier to install
4) FULL HD video recording
5) able to work with a wireless remote to take group shots
6) more for guys xD

NEX3:
1) nicer colors.. have a wider range than the NEX5 which i feel that this model targets females
2) HD Ready video recording in MPEG-4
3) no wireless remote capabilities

therefore.. i'd choose the NEX5 over the NEX3 any day. it's just more or less because i'm a guy. i like the grip and i don't go for red or pink or brown for my camera :bsmilie:

I choose the Nex 3 over the nex 5 due to the price difference and because i feel that both devices produce the same quality of pictures. The only minus point for the nex 3 is that it can't support wireless shutter which I something really required it for group shooting and the 10s delay just isn't good enough.
Hope this help~:D

:D Thanks for all the reply. Guess most likely I'll just settle for the Nex-3 as I am still new to this hobby. Price is an important factor since most of those missing features are not that important to me.

But do you need to install flash on the camera all the time? Or for normal photoshoots its alright with it?

to me... the NEX5:

1) more durable due to the magnesium alloy casing
2) grip is definitely better if you've got large hands
3) the flash is definitely easier to install
4) FULL HD video recording
5) able to work with a wireless remote to take group shots
6) more for guys xD

NEX3:
1) nicer colors.. have a wider range than the NEX5 which i feel that this model targets females
2) HD Ready video recording in MPEG-4
3) no wireless remote capabilities

therefore.. i'd choose the NEX5 over the NEX3 any day. it's just more or less because i'm a guy. i like the grip and i don't go for red or pink or brown for my camera :bsmilie:
But will you actually use all the above features to the maximum utility to actually justify the additional cost?

Wireless remote seems rather superfluous on a camera when the flash is... quite useless.

Best to go down to sony style shop and play around and pay attention to the grip.
Especially if you have big hands.

I too thought that I won't need the features on Nex 5 since the additional cost does not seem to justify. Ultimately the deciding factor is the grip.

The Nex 3 grip seems a little wobbly for me and I had a better grip on the Nex 5. The feeling seems more secure since I do have a rather big hand. So do consider the "feel" when you are handling both cameras and see which one you feel more comfortable holding and shooting with.

if you are looking for photos only, nex-3 and nex-5 produce the same image quality photos.

if you are looking for video as a plus then nex-5 has better video than nex-3

But will you actually use all the above features to the maximum utility to actually justify the additional cost?

Wireless remote seems rather superfluous on a camera when the flash is... quite useless.

LOL who said that you HAVE to use the flash ONLY when you use the remote? there's more to using the remote than just using it for self-portraits you know ;)

by the way, a lot of people would want to use those features. i know of quite a few myself :)

NEX5 - Remote, Magnesium body, grip, 1080 video
NEX3 - Plastic (larger) body, 720 video

I like to walk around balancing the nex5 on my middle finger in a normal walking pose (hands down, swinging....er..yea..with the strap around my hand of course)

Never used the flash, so no comments on seating and stuff. Even at night.

Wireless remote also useful for long exposure shots. Of course, the other way is to use timer, but that means that the exposure is delayed, and not immediate. But I do agree that it's not really necessary, unless of course, you are using it all the time.

happibeebee: Due to the nex's good ISO performance, you will hardly need to use flash, can take lotsa nice pics in low light. Even with the attachment, I have read that the flash is actually a little weak. In any case, you are buying nex for its portability (I assume, if not, pls just go get a DSLR or a PNS with flash), so I do find the flash kinda cumbersome to bring around. My flash attachment is still bubblewrapped in my box.

Nex5 have remote control capability while Nex3 don't.

But a good point of Nex3 is that it has a better base for mounting tripod.

Ya, i agree. I personally feel that the base of Nex5 is poorly designed. Not much of contact at all between tripod mount plate and camera base.

I choose the nex 3 over the nex 5 cause I dun shoot video on my camera. I dun fancy the design nor the shutter release. That's how I decide when i dunno which model to get. I own the camera for six months now. But I never tried the video even once. Lol.

I choose the nex 3 over the nex 5 cause I dun shoot video on my camera. I dun fancy the design nor the shutter release. That's how I decide when i dunno which model to get. I own the camera for six months now. But I never tried the video even once. Lol.

The best thing about the nex series is the one touch video recording. Just press the dedicated button to record and another press to stop. No need to fumble with wheel dials or menus. Try it. Anyway, 720p HD is already much better than the VGA movies of old. Burt beware, you need to hold the camera very very steady or else the video will jerk alot from hand motion. :)

The best thing about the nex series is the one touch video recording. Just press the dedicated button to record and another press to stop. No need to fumble with wheel dials or menus. Try it. Anyway, 720p HD is already much better than the VGA movies of old. Burt beware, you need to hold the camera very very steady or else the video will jerk alot from hand motion. :)

Yeah sure! Wanted to try it but dun have the habit shooting video.