NEX 3 studio shot.

foolfighter8

Nov 22, 2008
Hi, does anyone tried to use the NEX camera in studio shooting? i wanted to try my nex3 for a studio shoot but the problem is i have no idea how the studio flash work, and after doing some google i found out that nex camera(especially NEX 3) have problem trigger the studio flash. can anyone explain this to me?

thanks

Hi, does anyone tried to use the NEX camera in studio shooting? i wanted to try my nex3 for a studio shoot but the problem is i have no idea how the studio flash work, and after doing some google i found out that nex camera(especially NEX 3) have problem trigger the studio flash. can anyone explain this to me?

thanks

Is not that simple to use NEX, as NEX is not design for such usage. NEX is for people who wants a light and small PnS system with DSLR quality. Of course, with use of adaptor, we can also use it for different type of exotic lenses, though I think not that common.

thanks

it's not dat you can't trigger. it's just more difficult.

NEX3/5 don't have a hotshoe or a PC sync port. so, if you want to trigger the studio flash, you have to use that PITA dedicated flash supplied with the camera. and... you have to find some way to direct the light flash away from the subject but bounce enough towards the studio flash's IR receiver. one way i thot of is to use a piece of black cardboard and tape it infront of the flash to bounce the light away.

I think some pple have tried taping an optical trigger on the NEX. Not an elegant solution as there is no ISO standard hotshoe.

NEX is more of an available light camera for me because of this. I think for mirrorless camera, only Olympus has a nice setup with wireless TTL flash supported even for the E-PL1.

it's not dat you can't trigger. it's just more difficult.

NEX3/5 don't have a hotshoe or a PC sync port. so, if you want to trigger the studio flash, you have to use that PITA dedicated flash supplied with the camera. and... you have to find some way to direct the light flash away from the subject but bounce enough towards the studio flash's IR receiver. one way i thot of is to use a piece of black cardboard and tape it infront of the flash to bounce the light away.

hmm tried that method before. i taped a white piece of paper in front of the flash to diffuse the light.. but still the flash doesn't sync with the 2 studio flashes i was trying it out with.

any idea why so? i had to use a slower shutter speed (i think it was 1/10 or 1/20s)to capture the "models". if not, the lights wouldn't fire fast enough before the shutter closed.

hmm tried that method before. i taped a white piece of paper in front of the flash to diffuse the light.. but still the flash doesn't sync with the 2 studio flashes i was trying it out with.

any idea why so? i had to use a slower shutter speed (i think it was 1/10 or 1/20s)to capture the "models". if not, the lights wouldn't fire fast enough before the shutter closed.

Turn off pre-flash ttl. The pre flash metering will make the strobe fire before your actual exposure.

You should easily shoot at 1/125 if flash is fired manually.

NEX is more of an available light camera for me because of this. I think for mirrorless camera, only Olympus has a nice setup with wireless TTL flash supported even for the E-PL1.

Olympus E-PL1 is the only mirrorless camera to support wireless TTL flash, but all the mirrorless cameras from both Panasonic and Olympus have standard hotshoes

Turn off pre-flash ttl. The pre flash metering will make the strobe fire before your actual exposure.

You should easily shoot at 1/125 if flash is fired manually.

yup i turned it off. just that when i use fill flash, the studio lights don't sync (fires after the NEX's flash.

yup it does. it will receive and fire off, but usually at a delayed time.

Don't think this flash have a delay triggered function, try set your NEX3 in manual flash mode and try again.

LOL! sorry catchlights i'm not the TS. ts disappeared so i came in and asked a few related questions. the NEX5 i used was a friend's. but a question... what do u mean by manual flash?

LOL! sorry catchlights i'm not the TS. ts disappeared so i came in and asked a few related questions. the NEX5 i used was a friend's. but a question... what do u mean by manual flash?
I see, my bad.

Flash modes: Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Fill-in, 1st/2nd Curtain, Smart Flash, Manual

flash in manual mode, as in full power, half power, quarter power, one eighth power, one sixteenth power etc

flash in manual mode, as in full power, half power, quarter power, one eighth power, one sixteenth power etc

oh yea. that.

the NEX doesn't have manual flash. but it does have flash compensation. i suppose it's the same? the flash would be stronger in "+" and weaker in "-"

Hi, after reading some comment, i think i have a rough picture about how this work. I just need an optical trigger and mount it to my external flash to trigger the studio flash right?

nex dun have manual flash mode
there 2 ways to circumvent it.
used the studio strobe that have super fast recycle time inbetween flash shooting at lower power or get a light sensor trigger with delay function

nex dun have manual flash mode
there 2 ways to circumvent it.
used the studio strobe that have super fast recycle time inbetween flash shooting at lower power or get a light sensor trigger with delay function

hmm hi eow.

the studio lights were triggered off by the NEX's flash. shutter speed was 1/60s. but there would be a delay in the studio lights going off (can't sync properly, and too slow. fires only when the shutter is closing). the lights won't sync with the NEX's flash. the image turned out underexposed.

had to use 1/10s, 1/20s so the lights would flash while the shutter was still open. (if i remember correctly)