News Flash: TT Durai Arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klose

Feb 15, 2005
On Ch 5 news. TT Durai has been arrested. Will be charged tmr. :bigeyes:

Former National Kidney Foundation CEO TT Durai has been arrested and according to informed sources familiar with the case, he is expected to be charged on Tuesday.

He is now out on bail.

Several directors and key management personnel in the former NKF Board will also be hauled to court on Tuesday.

Lawyer Chia Boon Teck, acting for former NKF chairman Richard Yong, told Channel NewsAsia his client will be charged in court on Tuesday.

NKF's former treasurer, Loo Say San will also be levelled with charges under the Companies Act.

They each face one charge in connection with US-registered, Chennai-based company, Forte Systems.

In September 2001, the former NKF signed a S$4.29 million agreement with Forte Systems to provide a new enterprise resource management system.

The deal involved payments from NKF even though Forte Systems was said to have failed to deliver some services.

Both companies were owned by Pharis Aboobacker, who's believed to be a friend of TT Durai.

Yong and Loo were summoned to the Commercial Affairs Department on Monday afternoon to collect the charges, but were not put under arrest.

Other lawyers say T T Durai, former Board member Matilda Chua and an unknown third party were dealt with separately by the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau.

This comes months after the 300-page KPMG report late last year which uncovered some questionable practices by the old NKF and the Health Minister had said then that anyone found to have broken the law will be prosecuted. - CNA/ch

afbug said:
No popcorn but you want peanuts? :bsmilie:

Wah... u so rich yah....:bsmilie:

i poor man rather go for plain water!:sweat:

That's quite expected. I'm more interested to know who else will be implicated.:think:

Let the police and courts go through the proper process.
This is why mr goldtap needed to threaten anyone with powerful lawsuits if they suggest anything amiss.

He was playing poker. Even threatened to increase the demand for damages > extremely big amount to frighten off Singpress.
But Singpress called his bluff and said "showhand"
To their credit, Singpress defended their employee, the editor.
It would have been easy for a less righteous employer to sacrifice her career and "resolve" the lawsuit.
maybe mr gold tap did not know who he was taking on.
do you know who are behind Singpress?
better go and find out

Even mrs powerful cannot save him.

normally in an asian society
when you got a mrs powerful backing you so strongly
everybody fears you

and the power got to his head

this is how rotten and decadent society can get if we are not careful.

the legal machinery being used to threaten innocent people who spoke the truth and cow them into silence and pay damages too.

law when used to uphold the rights and dignity of the downtrodden is beautiful
but it can be misused and abused.

ricohflex said:
He was playing poker. Even threatened to increase the demand for damages > extremely big amount to frighten off Singpress.
But Singpress called his bluff and said "showhand"
ohh how i love this analogy..
smiled to myself after reading this.

man.. sometimes i get the news faster through CS than through CNA or ST.
:thumbsup:

hmm...must be coincident again, the whole issue will definitely settle just before the voting day.

:think:

Any idea what is the heaviest penalty under Companies Act? Hopefully not just some heavy fine which he can easily afford it :think:

Election next month, this month then want to charge TT Durai ?

The opposition has no case about the NKF saga as it is being handled by the police and courts.

Very difficult to say that the sentencing is pure coincidence.:think: ;)

Wai said:
hmm...must be coincident again, the whole issue will definitely settle just before the voting day.

:think:

Any idea what is the heaviest penalty under Companies Act? Hopefully not just some heavy fine which he can easily afford it :think:

Jail term possible, depending on the offence. Look at the CAO guy, he got 3 1/2 yrs right ?

afbug said:
No popcorn but you want peanuts? :bsmilie:
i want sugar coated peanuts, those you buy in some cinema theatres. have anot ? ;p my bro donated quite abit to NKF.. he mentioned he'll want to buy some paint to do some 'art works' just kidding, hope no one got inspired by this statement ahahaha :sweatsm:

Status
Not open for further replies.