Newbie's Question

lowhl76

Nov 18, 2010
Hi all

New to DSLR and first time posting. I got a question which i hope seniors can help me with.

I got this problem when taking group photo for say 3 to 5 people. I noticed that sometimes only some of my group mates/subject(s) are in focus when i viewed the downloaded photos on my PC.

I have tried playing with the various settings and i think (based on my limited knowledge) by setting to Auto-servo AF (AF-A), Auto-area AF and Matrix metering, this problem should not happen. But i still get say 3 out of 10 photos where my mates/subject(s) will be "out of focus". I have read the tutorials and guides in this forum but none actually specifically addresses this. This dun happen when i practise shooting using 3 to 5 AA batteries (simulate group of people) :think:

Apologise for the lengthy question. Btw i am using D3100.

Cheers

I think you might have used a big aperture i.e. low F number like f1.8 - 3.5? Try using a higher F number like F6-8 and all ur friends should be in focus. You can use a low f number provided all ur frens are standing in a straight line ..... but if some are infront, some are further back, then u need a higher f number to ensure all of them are sharp.....

Hi all

New to DSLR and first time posting. I got a question which i hope seniors can help me with.

I got this problem when taking group photo for say 3 to 5 people. I noticed that sometimes only some of my group mates/subject(s) are in focus when i viewed the downloaded photos on my PC.

I have tried playing with the various settings and i think (based on my limited knowledge) by setting to Auto-servo AF (AF-A), Auto-area AF and Matrix metering, this problem should not happen. But i still get say 3 out of 10 photos where my mates/subject(s) will be "out of focus". I have read the tutorials and guides in this forum but none actually specifically addresses this. This dun happen when i practise shooting using 3 to 5 AA batteries (simulate group of people) :think:

Cheers

Hi all

Cheers

Try not to make the group too "deep" (ie keep the distance between the front line of people and the back line as small as you can). This will help to keep everyone in focus. If you can't use a narrower aperture (i.e larger f-stop number, such as f/11 - f/16).

google depth of field and you will have a better idea. alternatively, read up photography notes for newbie in the newbie sub forum.

Hi do a read up on depth of field and like what all have said try not to open up your max aperture to shoot for group shoots. And use a shorter focal length as well

Perhaps you can show the photo here, plus the exif data?

Hi all

Cheers

(1) it's hard to say what is the problem, actually, but i suspect you are using a wide aperture

(2) as to why it's ok for batteries, it could be that you are putting them on the same plane?

(3) perhaps it is better if you posted up both sets of pictures - aa batteries AND people, with exif intact. just resize direct and save, instead of saving to web (if you use photoshop).