Newbie to DSLR - Which model should i get?

smartkel

Sep 2, 2007
I've not been to photography for ages (since i last sold my Canon powershot years ago) and would like to pick up this hobby again. However I am not a pro in this field and have not do any research nor use any DSLR camera before. Hence I would like to seek the professional opinion and advise from the experts and gurus here

1. What is a decent model that I could try? I love taking macro and scenery shots as well as street photography.

2. What lens (not those kit len) are recommended to capture macro, wide angle and long distance shots?

3. What is the market price for the model you are recommending.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your views :)

As you didn't mention about budget I can only give you some general recommendations.

Body, D5200, D7100 or D610

Lenses: kit lenses, very good, covers the range that most photographers use. You can shoot with the kit lens until you grow out of it.

If you really need to buy here are some I recommend

Lens micro: AFS 105mm f/2.8 VR
Lens wide: AFS 28mm f/1.8G
Lens normal: AFS 50mm f/1.8G
Tele zoom: AFS 70-200mm f/4 VR

You can find out the prices on CS. There is a thread for Nikon prices

Lens micro: AF 200 f/4 Micro.
Lens wide: AFS 14-24 f/2.8G or 17-25 f/2.8D or 16-35 VR f/4G
Lens normal: AF 35 f/2D or 50mm f/1.8D
Tele zoom: AFS 24-120VR f/4G or 70-200mm VR f/4G

Thanks for the reply.

D7100 and D610 are high end model which i find may be too pre-mature for newbie like me. Furthermore the price doesn't allow me to invest in one. :( Too costly!
What is the review in terms of handling and pic quality for D5200 so for?
Compare to the old model D90, which is better in terms of functions?
Can this model fit 3rd party lens like tamron?
What's the market price for this model?

Before commiting yourself to DSLR, ask yourself do you really need DSLR to take photos? DSLR is an expensive hobby (to me at least). There are m4/3 cameras capable as well as high end compacts producing great quality images.

Hmmm, D5200 produces very good image. Check online reviews.

Function wise, it is a bit of handicap compared to D90 & D7100. It only has a single command dial. For other functions you will need to go into the menus or set it from the info page.

Lens compatibility, it will only accept lenses with built in auto focus motor. Nikon AFS lenses, Tamron USD lenses & Sigma HSM lenses.

Kit prices varies, expect to pay $750++.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

D7100 and D610 are high end model which i find may be too pre-mature for newbie like me. Furthermore the price doesn't allow me to invest in one. :( Too costly!
What is the review in terms of handling and pic quality for D5200 so for?
Compare to the old model D90, which is better in terms of functions?
Can this model fit 3rd party lens like tamron?
What's the market price for this model?

I think D5300 coming to the market...

i've always wanted to try out DSLR cameras but not those high end professional models.
Many years back i wanted to get the D90 but due to budget, i have to give up and buy a canon powershot instead.

I know D5300 will be launching soon but new equipments will come with a hefty price too. At the moment, i am comparing between D5200 and D90. Based on comments from Light Machinery, D90 will be a better choice?

Well the D90 is also a very decent camera but loses out in image quality compared to the D5200 with a newer generation sensor.

This is especially true when it comes to high ISO shots.

Handling wise, the D90 is much better compared to the D5200.

D90 is quite cheap nowadays, used units are priced around $500+. Not worth buying new.

I've not been to photography for ages (since i last sold my Canon powershot years ago) and would like to pick up this hobby again. However I am not a pro in this field and have not do any research nor use any DSLR camera before. Hence I would like to seek the professional opinion and advise from the experts and gurus here

1. What is a decent model that I could try? I love taking macro and scenery shots as well as street photography.

2. What lens (not those kit len) are recommended to capture macro, wide angle and long distance shots?

How much is your total budget for the camera body, macro lens, wide angle lens, long distance lens?

cheapest setup i can think of is a DX body (d3200) and Nikon 18-200 lens then tamron 90mm. should be than 2.5k. if your budget is bigger than 2.5k, then get a better camera body.

My suggestion is to visit the showrooms (eg Sony and Canon) to try out the different types of cameras (e.g micro 4/3, mirrorless, aps-c dslr and full frame dslr). That will help you determine what you dont like (e.g. Bulkiness), what you like (e.g. Built-in flash, flip screen, wifi), what you love to have, and how much you need to be prepared to pay. After narrowing down, it is easier to decide and seek opinions. Else you will end up listening to our wishlist.

TS: I recommend you to read through the sticky threads in the Newbies Corner, starting with this one:
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787393
In addition, define your budget for camera and lens.
You may also want to have a look at other camera systems (e.g. mirrorless systems). They are well capable of delivering what you ask for. Again, the sticky threads have lots of details for you.

Get mirrorless ba if not so serious into dslr

TS, you might want to consider getting a good D7000 in the Buy-and-Sell section. For about $700 or so, you get a very capable body, compatibility with older generation lenses (AF-D, etc) and a much bigger viewfinder than the lesser models such as the D5200. Just pick up the D7000 and D5200 or 3200 in the shop and see the difference thru the viewfinder... it is easy to "see" why the 7000 series costs more. The build quality is also much better -- magnesium alloy.

Just some suggestion.

If u want to try out dslr, d7000 is a great choice. It has lots of great feature that you can learn to use and should keep u busy for a while.

If u think dslr is too heavy then maybe mirrorless is right for u. It has lots of features that dslr has so its not really a compromise. Look at fuji x series, pen series etc.

If u just want to better image quality then an advance pns is a great choice. Look at rx100, xz-2 etc.

Respect and admiration to all pros here. Thanks for the advise and suggestion.

D90/D5200 best to go try a hands on for the feel.. for your kind of photography, maybe d5200 is preferered as smaller for walkaround. if budget can be accomodate, D7100/7000 coz better built quality for travel.

Lenswise can check out third party lens.. really budget and value for money. here is my suggestion
Lens micro: Nikon Micro105mm f/2.8 VR or Sigma 90mm Macro
Lens wide: Nikon 28mm f1.8G or Tokina 11-16mm (go VRi for budget, read reviews not much diff from VRii)
Lens normal: Nikon 35mm f1.8G (best of the lot and cheap too) or Sigma/Tamron 17-55/50mm f2.8
Tele zoom: Nikon 18-200mm VR (read VR ii is better) or Tamron 18-270mm PZD (personal fav for all purpose)

Thanks casual bear for the lens recommendation.

I have a few friends who bought their first DSLR and didn’t shoot after a few outing trips. Maybe because it’s heavy. So think twice before buying. Go look around in showrooms where camera are display for users to feel and play.

If you are getting a DSLR, Nikon 5200 will be great. The vari-angle LCD will be very useful for creative shots. Better get good quality lens then higher end body as it will give better image quality with better lens.

Landscape and street photography: Tamron 17-50 f2.8 "value for $" or Sigma 18-35 f1.8 "very good review lens" or Nikon 17-55 f2.8 "all time fav crop lens"

Macro photography: Tamron 90mm f2.8 or Nikon 105 f2.8 VR macro

Tele Zoom: Nikon 55-300mm VR or Nikon 70-200 f4 VR

Get a good condition used D90, it should be below $500 at current market rate.
For lenses, there are enough recommendations in this thread to help you make a decision.
Most importantly, learn to use software to touch up your photos. I suggest lightroom or photoshop or Nikon Capture NX2.