Newbie to DSLR - Which model should i get?

great , I am moving out of SLR after 35 years of playing with it. Now playing pocket camera.

I have both a DSLR Nikon D5100 and Mirrorless Olympus EPL6. I disagree that Mirorrless is cheaper (unless you go for basic model like EPM2).
The D5100 with Twin Lens cost me $1100 half a year earlier (saw at PC show in June at $980). The EPL6 with twin lens I bought recently cost me $980 also. The prime len for Nikon 35mm is about $330, whereas Panasonic 20mm is $530. In term of image quality to me (I do not shoot sport, which DSLR has an edge), they are both good and very close. Considering the features (Optical view finder + build in flash), D5100 has greater value for money. But EPL6 is smaller and lighter, easier to carry around. In summary, Mirrorless is not cheaper (could actually be more expensive).

Last edited:
Thom Hogan has some excellent suggestions on his site http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-dslrs-for-the-holiday.html. For an entry level DSLR D3100 or D3200 are excellent & capable machines. He explains the thought process and rationale of choosing a particular model very well.

I've not been to photography for ages (since i last sold my Canon powershot years ago) and would like to pick up this hobby again. However I am not a pro in this field and have not do any research nor use any DSLR camera before. Hence I would like to seek the professional opinion and advise from the experts and gurus here

1. What is a decent model that I could try? I love taking macro and scenery shots as well as street photography.

2. What lens (not those kit len) are recommended to capture macro, wide angle and long distance shots?

3. What is the market price for the model you are recommending.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing your views :)

Personally I would recommend you to rent a basic camera and check out the limitation that you have.
After that then you know what's the camera you need.

how about considering other brands? maybe you will discover better options/camera models?

1. Body: Nikon Df

2. Lenses
Macro: Nikon 200mm f/4 AI-s Micro
Wide angle: Nikon 18mm f/3.5 AI-s
Long distance shots: Nikon 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 AI-s

3. ehmm you can check the price from ebay :sweat:

1. Body: Nikon Df

2. Lenses
Macro: Nikon 200mm f/4 AI-s Micro
Wide angle: Nikon 18mm f/3.5 AI-s
Long distance shots: Nikon 70-210mm f/4.5-5.6 AI-s

3. ehmm you can check the price from ebay :sweat:

Agreed!

For macro, a tripod and a ball head is a must.

For many beginners, we all walked through the same dilemma. I am not expert but if you want to get a good feel before investing more but also want something that will see you through for the initial state, a pre-owned set is the best choice.

Best the best model within your budget with the kit lens. Work on it and take as many photos as possible. Having the best camera but keeping it in a dry cabinet will not help you in any way. Once you are ready, then you will be be be infested with this upgrading virus. Haha

I would recommend a used D700 full frame camera if you are serious about taking up photography again. Should be quite cheap getting in b&s section now. Else would go for mirrorless apsc or m/4/3 for portability and not compromise the image quality.

I would recommend a used D700 full frame camera if you are serious about taking up photography again. Should be quite cheap getting in b&s section now. Else would go for mirrorless apsc or m/4/3 for portability and not compromise the image quality.

D700 is a 5 years old technology FF DSLR. Don't talk about High ISO of Df. The High ISO performance of D700 still not be able to compete with the entry level FF DSLR, D600/D610. It is more wise to top up a little bit to get the second hand of D600/D610 instead, rather than D700.

D700 is a 5 years old technology FF DSLR. Don't talk about High ISO of Df. The High ISO performance of D700 still not be able to compete with the entry level FF DSLR, D600/D610. It is more wise to top up a little bit to get the second hand of D600/D610 instead, rather than D700.

In terms of pic quality D700 is already good enough for general use. High ISO up till 5000 or 6400 is still usable if you know how to expose your photo well.
As for price wise, I'll not spend current amount for 2nd hand D700 as it is priced too near to 2nd hand D600, but FYI the D700 launch price is 3.5k vs D600 is 2.6k last time...
Willing seller & buyer for those D600/D700 users.

*If you calculate the price of buying n developing film vs getting a digital FX DSLR and shoot 20k~20k photos for the 2-4 years, the price is still worth it & have more ISO choices to use on the go.

Happy new year and go out to take more pictures in 2014! Cheers!

Last edited:
In terms of pic quality D700 is already good enough for general use. High ISO up till 5000 or 6400 is still usable if you know how to expose your photo well.
As for price wise, I'll not spend current amount for 2nd hand D700 as it is priced too near to 2nd hand D600, but FYI the D700 launch price is 3.5k vs D600 is 2.6k last time...
Willing seller & buyer for those D600/D700 users.

*If you calculate the price of buying n developing film vs getting a digital FX DSLR and shoot 20k~20k photos for the 2-4 years, the price is still worth it & have more ISO choices to use on the go.

Happy new year and go out to take more pictures in 2014! Cheers!

Talking about developing film..... was thinking of getting old school cam and start shooting with film and get a film scanner..... btw whats a good old school cam to look at?????

Sounds crazy??? Kekekeke

Talking about developing film..... was thinking of getting old school cam and start shooting with film and get a film scanner..... btw whats a good old school cam to look at?????

Sounds crazy??? Kekekeke

Economical: EM
Easier to use: FE2
Have a feel of old taste: FM
Using with AF lenses: F100 or F5 (if you dont mind the weight)

After you have develop the negatives (currently all positive development are already out of business other than online analog camera from FB), you still need a good scanner to bring out the quality.

The placement of 35mm negative on the scanner also plays a part as you got to make sure the film is lay flat on the film holder. ANR glass from better scanning will help to flatten the film on the holder.

Thus you can see quite alot of process required on film where else if you got a FX DSLR, just frame, shoot and transfer the photo to your computer for viewing within secs instead of the traditional way. The time and money spend on film side is not as efficient when using with FX DSLR.

Last edited:
Thanks bro for the advise. ... ya really quite a fair bit of work..... kekeke..... if only D700 is a bit lighter...... kekekeke