Newbie needs help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

neverneverever

Aug 10, 2007
Hi guys i'm new to the world of dslr so hope that i can seek some help here. I've just bought a d40x and i'm slowly learning to snap some good shots. i've also bought a sb-600. i have some question that i hope all the experts out here can help me...

1. is there any Lcd protecter for d40x? where can i get it and how much?

2.how do i attatch a bounce card to my speedlight?

3. i would like to get a slightly better all round lens but low on cash now after buy my d40x. is there any recomandation? i was thinking about 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (D80 kit lens)? is it good enough for me to pick up some skills before i invest in a good lens?

4.I'm going to a dog show to take some photo. I will be at expo (indoor) but quite will lighted. What mode should i use and any tips i can capture some good shots of a running dog?

:embrass::embrass:sorry for asking so many question:embrass::embrass:

1) Yes, there are, and they are most prob sticker type, not expensive, a few dollars perhaps, cant remember.

2) its either you get a just-bounce- card that comes with some form of velcro to attach, or buy a stofen diffuser, or buy a lighsphere etc... or... DIY!! i.e. use a rubber band to hold a card or a piece of white cardboard... with blue tac etc.. up to one's imagination.. a popular angle to bounce is to use the flash at the 75 degree position

3) Your kitlense has impressive resolution figures, but its a tad too poorly built. if you can use this lense to the max, you will be able to move on to any other lense. i cleared abt 5500 + 3200 = 8700 shots on that kitlense alone on 2 cameras. if you see my gallery, a lot of the US shots were done on this light plasticky lens

4) you can shoot in AF-C mode, it could be an advantage for you to use a faster lense though, or one with a longer focal length for better reach :) but then again if you are using only the 18-55mm, you can crop from your 10mp pics later on

Why not just use your kit lens first, then see what are the limitations to your shooting habits then try to expand from there =)

Hi guys i'm new to the world of dslr so hope that i can seek some help here. I've just bought a d40x and i'm slowly learning to snap some good shots. i've also bought a sb-600. i have some question that i hope all the experts out here can help me...

1. is there any Lcd protecter for d40x? where can i get it and how much?

2.how do i attatch a bounce card to my speedlight?

3. i would like to get a slightly better all round lens but low on cash now after buy my d40x. is there any recomandation? i was thinking about 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED (D80 kit lens)? is it good enough for me to pick up some skills before i invest in a good lens?

4.I'm going to a dog show to take some photo. I will be at expo (indoor) but quite will lighted. What mode should i use and any tips i can capture some good shots of a running dog?

:embrass::embrass:sorry for asking so many question:embrass::embrass:

2) u can either make it urself as mentioned or u can purchase a lightsphere!
3)i think juz bare with it first than throw in about 600 for a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 or u can try a 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 for about 1.2k
4)i advise u to use spot metering and try not to zoom in as much as possible so u can have a 3.5 appeture

2) u can either make it urself as mentioned or u can purchase a lightsphere!
3)i think juz bare with it first than throw in about 600 for a tamron 17-50mm 2.8 or u can try a 18-200mm 3.5-5.6 for about 1.2k
4)i advise u to use spot metering and try not to zoom in as much as possible so u can have a 3.5 appeture
the tamron will not autofocus on d40

did u get yours online? is there really a difference from our normal hp protector?

3) The kit lens is very good already, so play with it first. Maybe next time can get the VR 55-200mm? ;p

between the vr and non vr, is there alot of diff?
When u zoom out to 55mm on a 55-200mm, is it the same as 55mm on a 18-55mm? sorry for asking noob question :)

did u get yours online? is there really a difference from our normal hp protector?

between the vr and non vr, is there alot of diff?
When u zoom out to 55mm on a 55-200mm, is it the same as 55mm on a 18-55mm? sorry for asking noob question :)
VR will help on shooting the longer end, and the VR version is supposedly more updated/sharper by a little, definitely sharper than the 18-200 in the same focal lengths.

price difference is very slight, over a hundred dollars plus, getting the VR version is a wiser option, and definitely is more popular on the resale market, than the non-VR one

1) Yes, there are, and they are most prob sticker type, not expensive, a few dollars perhaps, cant remember.

2) its either you get a just-bounce- card that comes with some form of velcro to attach, or buy a stofen diffuser, or buy a lighsphere etc... or... DIY!! i.e. use a rubber band to hold a card or a piece of white cardboard... with blue tac etc.. up to one's imagination.. a popular angle to bounce is to use the flash at the 75 degree position

3) Your kitlense has impressive resolution figures, but its a tad too poorly built. if you can use this lense to the max, you will be able to move on to any other lense. i cleared abt 5500 + 3200 = 8700 shots on that kitlense alone on 2 cameras. if you see my gallery, a lot of the US shots were done on this light plasticky lens

4) you can shoot in AF-C mode, it could be an advantage for you to use a faster lense though, or one with a longer focal length for better reach :) but then again if you are using only the 18-55mm, you can crop from your 10mp pics later on

You see what I meant when I pm-ed you psycho. this is a classic example.
Btw, I'm still waiting for Zaren's reply, if he and me manage to arrange an outing I'll inform you of the date before I post on the forum to see if you can manage to pop in-you teaching expertise is needed :sweat:

Yah, got it online. I don't use one for my HP so I don't know. But for this, you can use a sharp object and cut, and it'll still be OK ;p
http://www.shieldzone.com/movie/index.html

what i ment was is it different from the normal hp protector tt we normaly use... well it seems very good but not sure if i wanna buy it online.. dun like the feeling f buying online.. paid and have to wait hahaha

You see what I meant when I pm-ed you psycho. this is a classic example.
Btw, I'm still waiting for Zaren's reply, if he and me manage to arrange an outing I'll inform you of the date before I post on the forum to see if you can manage to pop in-you teaching expertise is needed :sweat:

Hi i will be really intrested in outing for newbies like me... i have so much more to learn.. i've seen the thread on D40 and u talked about the topic to share during outing.. maybe u jus set on one and most of us will turn up as D40 users are most likely to be begainner and we have lots of stuff to learn.. :):):)

Hi i will be really intrested in outing for newbies like me... i have so much more to learn.. i've seen the thread on D40 and u talked about the topic to share during outing.. maybe u jus set on one and most of us will turn up as D40 users are most likely to be begainner and we have lots of stuff to learn.. :):):)

Aiyoh.. I feel the heat ;p

Zaren never replied my PM. That prob means I will have to organise an outing solo with no help (Psycho is busy with his sch work)

Got a few odds against me:
1. I've never organised an outing before, and have no idea how to handle logistics (orginally thought could have psycho+zaren+me handling the outing, one experienced user/pro, one super teacher, as for me.. added luggage lah lol)
2. I think I'm a terrible teacher. (I'm meeting up with a girl tomorrow to help her out. That, I think, will confirm my diagnosis)/ the fantastic teacher is psychobiologist.
3. I always shoot solo (unless it's a job), not used to shooting in a group, very very bad.

I will see if I have the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.