Newbie needs help wth CF card for Oly C-8080

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baileydew

May 10, 2004
Hi all Olympians,

First all of, thanks for reading my post.

I am a newbie in digital photography and have recently got myself an Olympus C-8080 WZ digicam.

I intend to get a 256 or 512 MByte CF card for the camera.
I would like to know which CF card would you recommend?
I have heard of SanDisk, Hagiwara, Toshiba and Lexar .... is there any difference in these cards when I use them with my Oly 8080? I heard that Oly 8080 can only write at 1 -1.5 MByte per second (12x speed ?) only - wat does dat mean actually? I don't want to spend too much money on a faster speed CF card if the camera cannot use the extra speed.

I am actually looking for a CF card that will be just sufficiently fast enuf for my camera and also reliable.

Thanks all for any replies! Appreciate any advice.

Bailey

Most cards are faster than 12x these days. Your camera's writing speed refers to the speed at which it writes the image file to the storage card.

Take a look at www.eastgear.com. They have pretty competitive prices for storage cards.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Which brand should I buy? Is there any brand that you will recommend?

Thanks.

Bailey

Hi,

Thanks again for the reply. Just one more question : should I get Hagiwara or Sandisk? Which is better? I've heard dat Sandisk is more reliable - is dat true? I've also read from the consumer forum here that Sandisk is made in China while Hagiwara is made in Japan .... is there a difference?

It's all quite confusing ....

Any advice is deeply appreciated.
Thanks again.

Bailey

You're welcome. ;)

The older Sandisk CF cards are rather reputed to be the slowest of the lot, unless you're talking about the new Sandisk Ultra II CF cards - which have improved quite a fair bit.

Reliability wise, you needn't be too concerned 'coz generally speaking, they're relatively similar since all are solid state cards and have been on the market for quite some time. (of course, people do get lemons once in a blue moon.)

Gee thanks. I think I'll just get the Hagiwara CF card as they r quite reasonably priced. The Sandisk Ultra is quite expensive for my budget. Plus it won't make a difference to my 8080 which card I use, right?

I guess I should get them from EastGear ....

Thanks!

Bailey

Check this link out for an upcoming test on the write speed of CF cards with teh 8080. The 5060 test may give you some clues though.

Baileydew said:
Hi all Olympians,

First all of, thanks for reading my post.

I am a newbie in digital photography and have recently got myself an Olympus C-8080 WZ digicam.

I intend to get a 256 or 512 MByte CF card for the camera.
I would like to know which CF card would you recommend?
I have heard of SanDisk, Hagiwara, Toshiba and Lexar .... is there any difference in these cards when I use them with my Oly 8080? I heard that Oly 8080 can only write at 1 -1.5 MByte per second (12x speed ?) only - wat does dat mean actually? I don't want to spend too much money on a faster speed CF card if the camera cannot use the extra speed.

I am actually looking for a CF card that will be just sufficiently fast enuf for my camera and also reliable.

Thanks all for any replies! Appreciate any advice.

Bailey

If you are using an 8M pixel cam, I would recommend a 1G Card or min 512M.

This might come a bit late. You've got a POWERFUL machine for a newbie! Anyway, I think a 512mb should be your basic card. It will be quite a hassle to keep having to change small capacity cards while you are shooting.

I'm using Hagiwara CF, SanDisk MMC, and TwinMOS SD cards, and really have no problems with any of them. Seriously, there's no need for high speed card unless your cam has a high writing speed. hope this helps! At the end of the day, just keep on snapping!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.