Newbie needs advice on getting lens.

syamimgreenboy

Oct 31, 2010
I have a Nikon D3000 and lens AF-S DX VR 18-55mm at the moment. I want to explore more with the lenses but have no clue on what is what or the uses. The next lens, that I plan to get I hope, is either a wide angle lens or a greater zoom lens than the current one i have. I seriously need advice on what to get next as a beginner. HELP! :confused:

why do you plan to get a wide angle lens? or greater zoom lens? what do you intend to shoot?
what is uncapable of your 18-55mm that you need a new lens? the kit lens is a good lens.

A prime lens is always a good investment, a good lens and a great learning kit. It has promising image quality and a wonderful build. The best part of it, which I feel, is actually the single focal length...... It forces you to move yourself to get your composition, your aspect, your lighting, which in turn trains your handling and skill level.

Then again, this is my own personal opinion... As long as you can shoot, who really cares what you use lol.

I have a Nikon D3000 and lens AF-S DX VR 18-55mm at the moment. I want to explore more with the lenses but have no clue on what is what or the uses. The next lens, that I plan to get I hope, is either a wide angle lens or a greater zoom lens than the current one i have. I seriously need advice on what to get next as a beginner. HELP! :confused:

my personal recommendation for:
- wide angle lens: Nikon 10-24 or the new Sigma 8-16
- greater zoom lens: the new Nikon 55-300

If you are not a wide-angle freak, I suggest you to buy greater zoom lens first :)

my personal recommendation for:
- wide angle lens: Nikon 10-24 or the new Sigma 8-16
- greater zoom lens: the new Nikon 55-300

If you are not a wide-angle freak, I suggest you to buy greater zoom lens first :)

i will 2nd this recommendation . . . or you can look at prime lens as well such as the 50mm or 35mm . . .

Normally, we will get the following in times to come . . .
1) prime lens (eg 50mm, 35mm or 85mm etc)
2) zoom lens (eg 55-300mm etc)
3) wide angle lens (eg 10-24, 12-24, etc)

but i will suggest the following :

you can head down to NSC or nikon website to look at the different lens and their purposes.

the next lens that you will get will depend on your needs . . . eg landscape, portrait, macro, candid, walkabout etc.

Once you know which area that you would like to venture in, you will know which lens to get.