Newbie needs advice on Fine Art papers - why..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soons

Mar 22, 2007
I check out the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Paper sub-forums: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106

These artistic canvas are so expensive to buy to print. However, I can see there are still people who wish to purchase them over satin semi-gloss photo paper or photo paper.

Anyone could give advise what attracted them to buy those Fine Art papers, especially photorags??

I check out the Hahnemuhle Fine Art Paper sub-forums: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=106

These artistic canvas are so expensive to buy to print. However, I can see there are still people who wish to purchase them over satin semi-gloss photo paper or photo paper.

Anyone could give advise what attracted them to buy those Fine Art papers, especially photorags??

Better output, archival, selling price. Nuff said

first will be the life of the paper/rag.
paper is made from wood pulp and rags are from cotton.
the lifespan of the rags will technically be longer than the paper due to paper being prone to turn yellow with age from the acid used in the whitening process.

second will be the coatings employed upon the fineart media.
fineart media's coatings have to be able to hold the ink against the test of time, so your image will not fade after a few months or years. most fineart media can hold the image for a theoretical span of 85 years and above.

thirdly, from the commercial point of view, will be the prestige that comes along with the brand.
cynically speaking, a print using highly prestigious brands like hahnemuehle would be able to sell for higher price than one made with the generic inkjet paper you can obtain outside.

How would I know if the paper is made of cotton or wood pulp?
Is the Canon Fine Art paper series considered made of cotton as well? I try touching their sample, especially the premium Matte, it feels the same as Canon Photo Matte.

Also, does these Fine Art papers give a better colour presentation compared to glossy papers?

Off track a bit:
I found out there are 2 types of glossy paper - Resin and Paper, what is Resin photo paper??

How would I know if the paper is made of cotton or wood pulp?
Is the Canon Fine Art paper series considered made of cotton as well? I try touching their sample, especially the premium Matte, it feels the same as Canon Photo Matte.

Also, does these Fine Art papers give a better colour presentation compared to glossy papers?

Off track a bit:
I found out there are 2 types of glossy paper - Resin and Paper, what is Resin photo paper??
i said already.
Rags = cotton
paper (or alpha cellulose) = wood pulp

Color presentation is different across different papers. some images suit glossy papera, some suit matt.

resin is basically polymer based substrate (base).
the image on the topside depends more on the coating, lesser on the substrate medium.

I see... Is canvas printing popular as well??

Top of the range fine art paper like Hahnemuhle, Innova, Harman etc create paper with these in mind, Tone, Texture, Lustre, Substance, Strength, longevity & absolute fidelity to the artist’s creative vision. The paper must have 'character' worthy enough to reflect the artists' works. It possess a large colour gamut and high D-max to match.

Status
Not open for further replies.