Newbie Needs Advice & Help on Buying First dSLR Camera (EOS 350D perhaps?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
evildolly said:
To Garion:

Darling, it looks good, it feels good, it takes uber good pictures. hehe~ of course I would like it to stay nice...but not at the expense of taping it up.

Hmm pink tape ah? *thinks* Nah. Will still get sticky.:sticktong Its meant to be used anyway. :D

Maybe I'll put hello kitty stickers on it, you think that will work? :bsmilie:

Thank you...I love my 350D so. much...
Hello Kitty stickers... :sweat: Become like handphone liao ar...den how about hang all those tiny bells and cute stuff toy keychains on the straps! Hhahaha!! ok just kidding lar. How u find it anyways? You bought the kit lens set? The 350D with say a 50mm lens is a killer super compact combo which you can throw into ur bag and bring around....light too. Post some pics from it leh! Btw the 350D and the new launched Nikon D50...think the 350D still wins in being the lightest around. :thumbsup:

Is this one of those WHICH IS BETTER threads again :bsmilie:

Anyway some old but not so old threads for you:
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=127440&highlight=350d+d70
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=127427&highlight=350d+d70

For more information on Canon stuff/lenses/recommendations you might want to check out the sticky in the Canon forum http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=44948.

Advice...It isn't just a one time purchase of a camera body and a lens, you'll still have to invest in lots of other things, so yeah you might want to consider this point carefully. And whichever camera you buy, shoot with what you have and be happy.

Probably the most subjective is lens quality, so that leaves the following to help you decide:

1. camera body obsolescence delay strategy (especially ever advancing digital bodies)
- go for highest image quality
- go more best technology

2. camera body ergonomics
- in the end its how familiar you are and how fast you work the system for the best shot
- grip, weight etc

3. support group
- current friends and relatives or new friends (this board)
- discuss and learn, exchange gear, buy-and-sell (inevitable)

Toyota Vios or Honda City?
Merc E or BMW 5?
BMW 3 or Audi A4?
Qantas or BA?
Hilton or Marriott?
Bosch or Black&Decker?
Canon or Nikon?

All the above are recognised and successful - and why? because they are all fully competent manufacturers.

If you already have Nikon lenses, stick with Nikon
If you already have Canon lenses, stick with Canon
If you have neither, either will do.

I use Canon but appreciate Nikon's strengths but also dislike some of the weaknesses - e.g. I much prefer Canon's autofocus system. I can go on but I won't.

Garion said:
H How u find it anyways? You bought the kit lens set? The 350D with say a 50mm lens is a killer super compact combo which you can throw into ur bag and bring around....light too. Post some pics from it leh! Btw the 350D and the new launched Nikon D50...think the 350D still wins in being the lightest around. :thumbsup:

*lol* Yeah i bought the kit lens set, i like the kit lens, but I totally agree that the 350D with the 50mm lens is amazing. Its SO light, and is really fun to bring around. The weight is such a plus coz I can bring it anywhere, and if I feel like taking a pic, I have it there, and it starts instantly :heart:

Some pics taken using my 350D. Don't laugh la. I have only had it for 1 week :p

This was taken with the 50mm lens if I'm not wrong.
IMG_0933.jpg

This one was taken at a supermarket, the 350D is small enough and innocent looking enough that no one stopped me when I whipped it out to snap the glassware. hee.
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Nice colours, love the way the glass behind appears behind the glass and goes in a infinite loop sorta, haha. And the doll looks freaky! :bsmilie:

Dolly, nice shots there!! :thumbsup: The doll portrait is kinda cool, black and white certainly makes it stand out. And I love the glasses shots! :) Unique viewpoint there and nice colours!

Keep snapping, you're definitely off to a good start!

evildolly said:
This one was taken at a supermarket, the 350D is small enough and innocent looking enough that no one stopped me when I whipped it out to snap the glassware. hee.
IMG_0822.jpg

IMG_0823.jpg

Wah... :thumbsup: ... now I'm tempted to get 350D for streets ;p

CYRN said:
Yah man....slap a 35mm/50mm/85mm on it....nice n small n unobtrusive. :) Ppl would think its a toy cam. :bsmilie: (No offence intended to 350D owners!)

Garion said:
Yah man....slap a 35mm/50mm/85mm on it....nice n small n unobtrusive. :) Ppl would think its a toy cam. :bsmilie: (No offence intended to 350D owners!)

yes its so true! :bsmilie: very unobtrusive

CYRN said:

Why wait ? Get it now ! ;)

Been using my 350D for more than a month, got it on the 1st day it was launched. So far it had performed great in a lot of situations, my only limitation is that I don't have the luxury to test it on L lens yet.

Anyway I would suggest to newbies to have a feel of the camera first before deciding. Both D70 and 350D in terms of specs and performance are around the same level, pros and cons for both side. Handling of a camera can play a lot in terms of decision making, I know a lot of people bought the D70 because the 350D grip was small. For me, it was simple. The 350D vertical grip solve this issue.

I had the pleasure to put my 350D on a field test during the Sevens event 2 weeks ago. Took around 1.5k shots in 2 days and the results were great. I shot under the hot sun and rain too. My 350D looks tiny among the 1Ds and 1Ds MKII there used by the pros, but hey, the 350D delivered the results.
Some of the photos here. http://art2d2.clubsnap.org/gallery/sevens2005

I believe it all boils down to lens. Most entry level DSLR are very good nowadays, just get it, whether its 350D or D70, and start shooting.

wah...now I'm really split.. both cameras sounds good.. I really got to go down and try both of them before buying!!!

thank you all for sharing your thoughts! ;)

i think it might be a good idea to just get a cheap 300D now cos the 350D doesn't differ that much.

do you really need to extra megapixels or features? the extra features can also be activited on a 300D using a firmware hack, and its free.

might as well save the money and buy a better lens or for the next Canon camera model that will come out.

If you're buying a dSLR for the first time get the 350D, but if you're on a budget get the 300D. The 350D is a good buy for first time owners IMHO. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.