Newbie Needs Advice & Help on Buying First dSLR Camera (EOS 350D perhaps?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

eunique

Apr 24, 2005
Sunny Singapore
Hi people!

I'm a student who has developed an interest in photography since a year ago. I only have the Olympus u300 Digital consumer camera as my trusty companion, and would really like to take a step into the world of dSLRs :D

Honestly, I know nuts about the jargons of dSLRs, what type of lens for what occassion, how shutter speeds affect your shots etc. I know there's a lot that I have to read up, but I was thinking that it'll be better for me to try hands-on as I learn, cos I believe I'll get the hang of it faster. What I know is that I love photographing nature, especially the skies, trees and sunset, although I am thinking of learning more about taking potraits of everyday people too.

I've been reading around and narrowed my choices down to two: Canon's EOS350D and Nikon's D70 (or D70s, but from what I've read, realised tt there isn't much difference, save for the larger 2.0" screen, and the fact tt there's something less in the bundle).

From what I've gathered by reading through some threads in the forum:

Canon's EOS 350D: 8megapixels, small plastic-ky body (tho some pointed out it may be good for girls with small hands to handle; still, not v.steady), able to remember the last 'length' of zoom tt you've used after shutting it down, better vertical grip (what's this??), but some swear that it produces better quality pictures than Nikon's

Nikon's D70: 6megapixels, body feels solid enough, great bundled kit of lens, help menu available in the camera itself, not-very-good software, good results though!

From what my friend's 'shifu' photographer (who runs his own little photography business) told her, Nikon is the way to go, 'cos "its quality of lens is much better, while many people use Canon 'cos they have a blarddy (no offence!) good advertising team" LOL. When reading through some threads here, many people advised that either way is alright, cos they're both good cameras, and when u decide on one, it's a 'no turning back' kind of thing (unless got lotsa moo$ah) cos gotta invest in the lens and such.

So, what I gotta ask is:
1. Is EOS350D really a better camera (then Nikon's) for ultra-newbies like me who want to learn dSLR?

2. What type of lens should I get when I'm starting out?

3. How much is a new EOS350D+bundle selling for now, and what's in the bundle? What else is a must for me to buy?

4. I was thinking of buying it at PC Show 2005 at Expo on June 2-5, but is it better to shop around SimLim instead?

5. Which shops are reliable+have good offers?

6. Any advice for a dSLR newbie like me?? :)

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read and reply!! *takes a bow and curtsies*

--Eunique ^_^

1. Yes and no... yes - higher MP, compact DSLR, better ISO performance | no - to some ppl, the small grip poses an issue

2. Kit lens and perhaps a walkabout lens - 28-105 MK2 or 28-135 IS

3a. 350D Kit cost ard $17xx @ CP, comes with free 1GB CF Card
3b. Accessories such as dry cabinet and lens cleaning kit is a must have
3c. Optional items: External flash, battery grip, tripod for night photography

4. If you buy during show, the camera would be sold at list price ($1999). Of course there will be more freebies, but if the extra freebies don't justify the $1999, then get it from CP. For this, I know the D70 gonna bundle probably with 2x 1GB CF Cards, basic tripod n some extras (assuming it's the same as previous show)

5. Stick to these shops: Alan Photo @ Funan or SLS, Cathay Photo @ Peninsular Plaza, MS Color @ AMK, John 3:16 @ Funan

6. Think hard before getting DSLR.. u will need to invest in lenses, cable release, flash, tripod (DSLR Tripod ain't cheap, can go CP to take a look)

Finally, happy shooting once u've gotten ur cam :)

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos350d/page21.asp

Another newbie here, but

I actually just upgraded to my first dslr last week -the 350D. My other girlfriend got her 350D 2 weeks ago. Oh, and its from Cathay Photo :)

The 350D's small grip and body are sized perfectly for my smaller fingers/hands, and I can hold it comfortably (and steady).

The so-called plasticky body, is lightweight, and allows me to carry it around with me everywhere, and its small enough that its less intimidating that some other SLRS. And I really like the silver body as compared to the black "more professional looking" body.

My previous camera Canon A95 was pretty noisy at ISO 400, but the 350D's pictures at ISO1600 are relatively low noise in comparison.

And it turns on instantly! I like it that I can snap pics immediately, unlike having to wait for X number of secs (like my previous P&S) before I can fire off the first picture.

Its really user-friendly too:)

Just another newbie, so those are just my feelings about my silver baby. Will leave it to the pros to give good advice:) :angel:

*oh, and I didn't bother buying a vertical grip. its easy enough to hold as is

*edit* Gaffer tape
OH! I know what it is, its that padded? black tape? eeks I dun want to stick that on my silver camera :sticktong

oh, just 1 tip... if want to protect ur cam, can always PM Canturn for gaffer tape... 1 roll of 55metres $40 i think.. there's an MO thread for this..

gaffer tape is to protect ur camera.. ;)

It is optional...

it looks something like this:
http://www.sengpielaudio.com/Gaffa-Tape.jpg

Gaffer tape is a sticky, non residual tape that people in CS use mostly for their cam :)

I haven't gotten mine though.. some rubber grip of an old camera coming off.. need gaffering to prevent further peeling.. and for new camera owner, gaffer it b4 ur cam have significant wear & tear look

edited: woops, ur post disappeared :dunno:

Both D70 and 350D are great cameras. You have to decide yourself on which camera to buy based on its features and functionalities.

Advantages of D70 over 350D are :

1) Larger sensor size - 1.5x focal multiplier effect versus 1.6x 350D

2) Faster maximum shutter speed at 1/8000 sec

3) Greater number of images can be captured when shooting in continious mode over extended time period vs 350D

4) 25 custom settings versus 9 on the 350D

5) Significantly higher battery capacity provides for up to 2000 images being captured vs approximately 600 with 350D. Single use battery compatibility with CR2 x 3 using supplied battery holder

6) Faster flash sync speed at 1/500 sec compared to 1/200 sec (internal and external flash)

7) "Commander mode" with internal i-TTL flash provides for wireless Nikon Creative Lighting System support with dedicated external speedlights

8) Low light AF detection from -1EV to 19 EV compared to 0.5 EV to 18 EV with 350D

9) Metering range 0 - 20 EV compared to 1 - 20 EV for 350D

10) White Balance Bracketing in 1/2 and 1/3 steps for critical fine-tuning vs 1/2 steps with 350D

11) Exposure compensation +/- 5 EV compared to +/- 2 EV

12) Higher resolution LCD playback monitor with 130,000 pixels compared to 115,000 on 350D

13) Grid outlines available in D70 viewfinder (to assist in architectural composition etc.)

14) Up to 36 characters of alphanumeric text input. Tag location information, copyright details etc. to an image

15) Red-eye reduction beam from lamp compared to strobe from actual speedlight on 350D. Beam is easier for subjects to distinguish from actual flash firing. (Less eye blinking effect)

16) Significantly superior Nikkor AF-S DX 18-70mm kit lens in terms of the optical quality, focal range, brightness, design, and construction provided

Advantages of 350D over D70 are :

1) Higher resolution with 8.0 effective megapixels versus 6.1 effective megapixels on Nikon D70 (maximum file size 3456 x 2304 on Rebel XT, 3034 x 2024 on Nikon D70). Allows for additional cropping of detail

2) New Sensor design and DIGIC II Image Processor (Fast processing and good low noise performance at high ISO)

3) Monochrome Parameter set for creative filter effects. Similar to EOS 20D. Three Custom parameters settings

4) ISO sensitivity down to ISO 100 compared to ISO 200 on D70

5) More powerful built-in flash (GN 13) and wider flash coverage (17mm lens)

6) Mirror Lock Up Feature up to 30 seconds

7) Optional vertical release BG-E3 battery grip. Use two NB-2LH rechargeable batteries for extended shooting capacity or can use 6 x AA battery type for convenience

In this aspect, it is clearly that D70 is a better buy over the 350D. Canon still needs to fine-tune its entry DSLR to match its competitiors. :think:

Just to add to confusion ;p , D70s & D50 are coming out soon... USM may be just right about "Canon still needs to fine-tune its entry DSLR to match its competitiors."

BTW, just to add, D70 has spot metering whereas 350D only has partial metering. IMHO, in the area of metering D70 is even better than the 20D.

USM said:
In this aspect, it is clearly that D70 is a better buy over the 350D. Canon still needs to fine-tune its entry DSLR to match its competitiors. :think:

I disagree with this statement, but I will not debate on this issue

In any case, its up to buyer to decide which of the features are more important

why not get the 300D for entry level photography??

i got it for cheap (680usd with kit lens).

anyway if you want to get the 350D, i'd suggest just getting the body and get the tamron 28-75 instead. Much better lens, or just get the body and i'll sell you my 18-55 kit lens :bsmilie:

To eunique:

Welcome to ClubSNAP forums. :) One of the best ways to decide which cam is more suited for you (other than just comparing specs), is to go down to the shop and try them out side by side. Get the one which you feel more comfortable with. Ergonomics does play a very important part for whichever camera you chosse to go with. Some ppl may find a particular model more suited to their needs, and more "intuitive" to use. Its a rather personal choice and boils down to yourself.

evildolly said:
*edit* Gaffer tape
OH! I know what it is, its that padded? black tape? eeks I dun want to stick that on my silver camera :sticktong
Yah black tape can spoil the looks of a silver body (if you are the kind who wants your cam to look nice that is). ;p But what if it comes in other colours, say pink? (ummm... :sweat: ) Would that change your mind? But a lot of people use gaffer tape for their bodies/lenses to protect their investments from scratches, for them looks are secondary. I've seen a pic of a 300D which was completely wrapped in gaffer tape, no traces of silver at all (except the buttons). Perhaps you can use the gaffer tape to tape up the bottom, which is the least seen part, and probably the most likely to be scratched part.

Btw congrats on getting ur new "baby". :)

Seems like you have already have Canon brand in mind.

I'm also thinking of getting the 350D, but am clueless about lenses.

Any recommendations for macro lens and telephoto lens?

Do I need to put UV filter on the lens? :sweat:

drop by NUG and u can chat with the dudes there. so much to consider when getting a DSLR.

the camera itself is the least of the consideration really :)

Crysania said:
I'm also thinking of getting the 350D, but am clueless about lenses.

Any recommendations for macro lens and telephoto lens?
Hi Crysania

Depends on what subject matter you would like to use the lens for, and also your overall budget. For still life and flowers, recommend the Tamron 90mm f2.8 DI Macro lens. For insects (dragonflies, etc.), a slightly longer focal length will be preferred. Sigma 150mm f2.8 Macro is a great choice for shooting longer range macro subjects such as insects.

For telephoto, there are many types of telephoto lens out there. What do you want to use it for? For starters, maybe you can get a Sigma or Tamron 70-300mm telephoto zoom lens.

Crysania said:
Do I need to put UV filter on the lens? :sweat:
It is up to the individual user, but most of us do put a UV filter in front of the lens, to protect it from dirt, dust, rain, scratches etc. A UV filter is easier to clean and at less risk to damaging the lens element coating (if no filter is used).

Thank you all for replying!! You've all been loads of help!! :D

alwayschampion said:
Seems like you have already have Canon brand in mind.

eh...actually I'm just a 'lil more in favour of Nikon's D70.. hee..
but I won't rule out EOS350D yet, will try going down some day after my exams to try out both of them!

Thanks again peeps!! :)))

since you're new why dont you post a pic of yourself :dunno: :bsmilie:

To Garion:

Darling, it looks good, it feels good, it takes uber good pictures. hehe~ of course I would like it to stay nice...but not at the expense of taping it up.

Hmm pink tape ah? *thinks* Nah. Will still get sticky.:sticktong Its meant to be used anyway. :D

Maybe I'll put hello kitty stickers on it, you think that will work? :bsmilie:

Thank you...I love my 350D so. much...

To Eunique:'

mm, I guess trying out the camera is the best way to find out whether its the right one for you. :D G'luck with this. Maybe you could drop by John 3.16 @ Funan Centre, they are really friendly and helpful.... or Cathay Photo for that matter.

I agree with evildolly.. I love my black 350D too.... doh..my poor 300D must be crying at its new owner's place now. :sweat:

Seriously it's all personal perference regardless of a Nikon or Canon camera. Maybe you can follow what I did, which was to attend a SEED session and try out the camera models you have in mind. If you ask, I am sure the SEED regulars will be more than happy to bring their cams and let you test out. Then you no need to feel bad about testing at shops but not buying haha.. ;p

Touch and feel each camera and see if you like the grip, handling, weight etc. That's the best way to decide which camera is for you. ;)

calisc said:
I agree with evildolly.. I love my black 350D too.... doh..my poor 300D must be crying at its new owner's place now. :sweat:

Seriously it's all personal perference regardless of a Nikon or Canon camera. Maybe you can follow what I did, which was to attend a SEED session and try out the camera models you have in mind. If you ask, I am sure the SEED regulars will be more than happy to bring their cams and let you test out. Then you no need to feel bad about testing at shops but not buying haha.. ;p

Touch and feel each camera and see if you like the grip, handling, weight etc. That's the best way to decide which camera is for you. ;)

oOo...what's SEED??

Status
Not open for further replies.