Aug 4, 2011
Hi All,

i'm a avid Canon user and currently, my setup are as below:

Cam:
450D

Len(s):
18-55mm, f3.5-5.6
50mm, f1.8

i am aware that the above setup is more/less entry level and i really need help from ANYONE who can recommend as follows:

- 1. setup for indoor shoots (type of cam body, lens, flashlight & etc.)
- 2. setup for outdoor shoots (comparison between canon and 3rd party lens)
- 3. a shop where it sells equipments at its most reasonable price in singapore (or online).

Thanks!

Hi style,

The pros will be able to help you further with a stated budget. Have you done a search in this forum? It's very useful :)

Hi All,

i'm a avid Canon user and currently, my setup are as below:

Cam:
450D

Len(s):
18-55mm, f3.5-5.6
50mm, f1.8

i am aware that the above setup is more/less entry level and i really need help from ANYONE who can recommend as follows:

- 1. setup for indoor shoots (type of cam body, lens, flashlight & etc.)
- 2. setup for outdoor shoots (comparison between canon and 3rd party lens)
- 3. a shop where it sells equipments at its most reasonable price in singapore (or online).

Thanks!

May i know what you are shooting in the first place?

May i know what you are shooting in the first place?

1. i wanna shoot dim lighting restaurant with ambience.
2. i wanna do model shoot for friends.

Hi style,

The pros will be able to help you further with a stated budget. Have you done a search in this forum? It's very useful :)

i did went through the sticky note of comparing SLR and DSLR. i need to more comprehensive guides.

i would need helps with the links if you have cos i cant figure out what i want for the kind of shoots i mentioned.

i need recommendation on the setup for taking models? as i always use my 50mm f 1.8 to take protrait photos

1. i wanna shoot dim lighting restaurant with ambience.
2. i wanna do model shoot for friends.

1. Your 50mm f1.8 is able to do that pretty fine. It's a little tight though. Maybe you can consider the Sigma 30mm f1.4 too.

2. Once again your 50mm is able to do that. Get a flash like the Canon Speedlite 430EX. If got budget can consider the popular Canon 17-55mm f2.8 :)

i did went through the sticky note of comparing SLR and DSLR. i need to more comprehensive guides.

i would need helps with the links if you have cos i cant figure out what i want for the kind of shoots i mentioned.

i need recommendation on the setup for taking models? as i always use my 50mm f 1.8 to take protrait photos

Budget?

Bro u seems to be in a rush in doing all those tat u've mentioned. Did u happen to promise ur frens that u'll be doing all that for them.

Seriously, i think photography is not something u rush into and just take what people have to offer. Trust me u'll get 1001 different opinions on what u've just asked. Everyone is correct at the end of the day cuz they know what they want. U need to try out some of those lens and see whether it suits u and ur budget. Rent out those lens and slowly figure it out.

Frankly speaking ur 50mm can do the job that u wan. Checkout the links that have been mentioned as well.

if you don't have budget to buy new/2nd hand, go rent them, even the body and flashes if you need. only then you'll know what suits you.

if you are doing only a favor for people/friends with expectations of a professional shoot, ask them to go hire a professional shooter, UNLESS you are a gifted photographer.

PS: I'm still a newbie.

Hey Tucksoon, thanks for the link.

i was taking a few shots for my friend and i dont know if it is the setting, cam body or lens problem that is making the picture cheats more on yellow.

PS: i know nuts about maintaining/cleaning the camera.

Bro u seems to be in a rush in doing all those tat u've mentioned. Did u happen to promise ur frens that u'll be doing all that for them.

Seriously, i think photography is not something u rush into and just take what people have to offer. Trust me u'll get 1001 different opinions on what u've just asked. Everyone is correct at the end of the day cuz they know what they want. U need to try out some of those lens and see whether it suits u and ur budget. Rent out those lens and slowly figure it out.

Frankly speaking ur 50mm can do the job that u wan. Checkout the links that have been mentioned as well.

Hi AdyH, thanks for the suggestion you had made. :)

i didnt promise any friends. i figured out i wanted a Canon 28mm f1.8. it has shorter focal length compared to my current 50mm f1.8 so i dont need to move just to take a close up protrait.

Comparing it with sigma 30mm F1.4, i'd watched a few video and find that the colours are kind of pale.

i dont know if there's any shop in Singapore that offers Canon 28mm 1.4.

Advise? :)

if you don't have budget to buy new/2nd hand, go rent them, even the body and flashes if you need. only then you'll know what suits you.

if you are doing only a favor for people/friends with expectations of a professional shoot, ask them to go hire a professional shooter, UNLESS you are a gifted photographer.

PS: I'm still a newbie.

Hi Dingaroo, thanks for the comment.

i know what i want from a picture and as what i expect from a RAW photo, i dont want to have the picture editted to what i want.

Instead, i would want the RAW photo to turn out close to what i want. (i'm sure that's what alot of photographers wants)

do you know of any places that i can rent these equipment in Singapore?

Hi AdyH, thanks for the suggestion you had made. :)

i didnt promise any friends. i figured out i wanted a Canon 28mm f1.8. it has shorter focal length compared to my current 50mm f1.8 so i dont need to move just to take a close up protrait.

Ermm...if you mean head and shoulds portrait, 50mm is better (and 85mm is better than 50mm arguably) than 28mm.

i dont know if there's any shop in Singapore that offers Canon 28mm 1.4.

It's not the shop...there's no 28mm 1.4 in canon's lenses line-up. Unless you are referring to 24mm 1.4 or 28mm 1.8.

Btw, you current setup is enough to do what you have listed. Or like what Tuckson suggested, 30 1.4 is a good addition to have a wider fov and allows low light shooting. For portraiture shoots, investments in flashes or lighting equipments would be more beneficial. I am no pros on these, so I let the pros advise you. :)

Hey Tucksoon, thanks for the link.

i was taking a few shots for my friend and i dont know if it is the setting, cam body or lens problem that is making the picture cheats more on yellow.

PS: i know nuts about maintaining/cleaning the camera.

Is that something to do with white balance settings? Maybe you can experiment and read up more.

I'm oldie in terms of membership but a newbie in DSLR, but from what I see you can still utilize your gears for the kind of photography you are going for. Unless you are affected by the BBB virus :D

Last edited:
Hi Dingaroo, thanks for the comment.

i know what i want from a picture and as what i expect from a RAW photo, i dont want to have the picture editted to what i want.

Instead, i would want the RAW photo to turn out close to what i want. (i'm sure that's what alot of photographers wants)

do you know of any places that i can rent these equipment in Singapore?
the only way to get what you want from your camera is know your camera well,

get a better camera or lenses will give you good photos only half truth, and many people only want to believe the half truth and ignore the other half. lol